338XPT Husqvarna vs.ms200stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picture079.jpg

no coment.

no coment.[/QUOTE]

I don't care what a bottle of oil mix says! I go by the instructions in the saw's owner's manual. That oil could be dacades old. Back in the 1980's, several different mix's were used. But I can tell you that the manual that came with the Husqvarna 50 that I bought in 1989 syas 1:50. And that saw is still running strong.

I gotta say, I love the 200T. I tried a Shindawa ( crap ) I'll never use that again. STIHL!

Also, I can't believe there is someone shoe doesn't like TH saws, never mind thinking big saws are easier and better in trees??? WTH?? Really? Sounds like someone who opened his mouth, said the wring thing, knew it, but doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. Proper tool for the job, a hammer to drive a nail, not a sledge hammer to drive a nail!

200TinAction.jpg

I gotta say, I love the 200T. I tried a Shindawa ( crap ) I'll never use that again. STIHL!

Also, I can't believe there is someone shoe doesn't like TH saws, never mind thinking big saws are easier and better in trees??? WTH?? Really? Sounds like someone who opened his mouth, said the wring thing, knew it, but doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. Proper tool for the job, a hammer to drive a nail, not a sledge hammer to drive a nail!

200TinAction.jpg

Maybe my view, but that cut is looking curved. Looks like a 14" and a guy that is right handed filed the chain.
Jeff :)

Anyone that cant file 14 inch chain and get it to cut straight should not even bother!

Yup, guy's that are right handed seem to go lighter on the left side. Don't get me wrong, they do a great job on the right side and even the rakers, but I have found that if you use your left hand to do the left side, it matches up much better.

no coment.

I don't care what a bottle of oil mix says! I go by the instructions in the saw's owner's manual. That oil could be dacades old. Back in the 1980's, several different mix's were used. But I can tell you that the manual that came with the Husqvarna 50 that I bought in 1989 syas 1:50. And that saw is still running strong.[/QUOTE]

I believe you; however two different dealers in my area told me the same 1:30
if you were in my shoes wouldn`t that bother you? not a bit ? being a noob and all?

could it be that for Romania the saws are made different ? it seem unlikely to me too. I`ll inquire some more.
also lots of husky users say not to put red mix in Husky.
However I did find online oil with 1:50 prospect...

Maybe my view, but that cut is looking curved. Looks like a 14" and a guy that is right handed filed the chain.

Curved?? BRAND NEW chain, just out of box, all cut and drop on this cherry, I didn't cut it straight, but given the saws not far into the wood how can you think/tell curved? Only thing I can think is that I started the cut, stopped saw to turn on camera and set it, then started cut again, maybe that makes it look curved??

Last edited:
Curved?? BRAND NEW chain, just out of box, all cut and drop on this cherry, I didn't cut it straight, but given the saws not far into the wood how can you think/tell curved? Only thing I can think is that I started the cut, stopped saw to turn on camera and set it, then started cut again, maybe that makes it look curved??

Yeah, you are right. I must be seeing things.
Jeff

I think the chain is loose a little bit. maybe it got hot and expansed a bit. when it rotates, gets a bit further from the bar giving the impression.. well, you know.

could that be it ?

Made me look twice....still doesn't look right. It seems to be an optical illusion. Something with the camera? The edge of the road and even the power lines seem somewhat curved in an unnatural way as well. The road might have a natural slight curve, but the lines don't look right either.

Last edited:
It might be the camera. I looked harder again too, the outer edges of image do appear a little curved, maybe because camera is/ was so close to cut?? Videos come out great. Audio sucks beyond close up. In some vids you can only hear me resond to an inaudible second person. It's the Drift X170

Whoa now, that's a pretty strong statement for someone who's 200t clearly has thousands of hours on it. I actually had to check if you were talking about a post i made in this thread, because i'm one of the guys who prefer a rear handle in a tree. Between a 338 and a 200t, the latter is a better saw, and that's coming from a husky man. However, i'd still rather take up a 346 for trimming. (No, that wasn't a mistake.) Just because it's a personal preference thing, doesn't mean it's wrong.
Personal reasons i like a rear handle in a tree versus the 200t:
1. That handle is too small for my hand. It honestly sits during the winter because my hands are too big with gloves.
2. I've always hated the snap attachment for the 200t. I like having a little bigger biner on my saddle that just snaps into the rear handle. Less fiddling around for me.
3. We work all winter long. I like heated handles on my saw. Setting chain slings that've been dragged through the snow makes gloves uncomfortable very quick. My saws get a hard enough workout that the handles help combat uncomfortable fingers all day long. Getting a 200t with heated handles is impossible around here, all the dealers carry heated rear handle saws though.
4. I'm a husky guy but stihl's top handle is better. Unfortunately, the last time i went to get parts from my local stihl dealer for my 200t, he asked me what a 200t was. So because dealer service for me is better with husky and they make a second rank climbing saw, i stick with their rear handle.
5. I've never liked my hands that close together on a saw, has just never felt comfortable for me.

Now, i'm not dumping on the 200t, i've owned a half dozen myself over the years and they are an awesome little saw. But i don't like the fact that you state that bigger saws aren't easier or better in trees and also state that the right tool should be used for the job. I hate to tell you this, but for all climbers the 200t isn't the right tool for our job. I go up with a 395 every day. 357xp has been my little saw for years now. But you don't see me dumping on you because you use a baby 200t, do you? And i've seen many guys using a 200t to chunk a stem that a 441 would do in a third of the time.

You know, you got a big mouth on this subject for someone who's 200t is obviously fresh out of the box. I've flat worn out four 200t's in the air, why don't you wait until you've run at least a dozen tanks of gas through yours before criticizing those of us who prefer rear handle.

A mentor of mine doesn't run a t handle at all for many of the same reasons. Been getting along for 25 years just fine without one.

Whoa now, that's a pretty strong statement for someone who's 200t clearly has thousands of hours on it. I actually had to check if you were talking about a post i made in this thread, because i'm one of the guys who prefer a rear handle in a tree. Between a 338 and a 200t, the latter is a better saw, and that's coming from a husky man. However, i'd still rather take up a 346 for trimming. (No, that wasn't a mistake.) Just because it's a personal preference thing, doesn't mean it's wrong.
Personal reasons i like a rear handle in a tree versus the 200t:
1. That handle is too small for my hand. It honestly sits during the winter because my hands are too big with gloves.
2. I've always hated the snap attachment for the 200t. I like having a little bigger biner on my saddle that just snaps into the rear handle. Less fiddling around for me.
3. We work all winter long. I like heated handles on my saw. Setting chain slings that've been dragged through the snow makes gloves uncomfortable very quick. My saws get a hard enough workout that the handles help combat uncomfortable fingers all day long. Getting a 200t with heated handles is impossible around here, all the dealers carry heated rear handle saws though.
4. I'm a husky guy but stihl's top handle is better. Unfortunately, the last time i went to get parts from my local stihl dealer for my 200t, he asked me what a 200t was. So because dealer service for me is better with husky and they make a second rank climbing saw, i stick with their rear handle.
5. I've never liked my hands that close together on a saw, has just never felt comfortable for me.

Now, i'm not dumping on the 200t, i've owned a half dozen myself over the years and they are an awesome little saw. But i don't like the fact that you state that bigger saws aren't easier or better in trees and also state that the right tool should be used for the job. I hate to tell you this, but for all climbers the 200t isn't the right tool for our job. I go up with a 395 every day. 357xp has been my little saw for years now. But you don't see me dumping on you because you use a baby 200t, do you? And i've seen many guys using a 200t to chunk a stem that a 441 would do in a third of the time.

You know, you got a big mouth on this subject for someone who's 200t is obviously fresh out of the box. I've flat worn out four 200t's in the air, why don't you wait until you've run at least a dozen tanks of gas through yours before criticizing those of us who prefer rear handle.

Lol, ROFLMAO. I just bought that saw last month, so where you get the clearly part amazes me, it's the ONLY 200T I own, have a couple 020T's. And my post you quoted was referring to ALopa, saying theat TH saws were a liability and not easier to use, back on the first couple pages pf this post. I disn't even know you made a comment, wow touchy. Just found receipt for the NEW 200T, purchased 10-25-10 at PLT in Pittsfield, Ma at about 3pm, paid cash, want a copy of the receipt?? Very well put post though, I prefer the TH's, my hands don't really get cold, never even thought about a heated handle. We have both Husky and Stihl dealers here, the Husky guy is getting tired of them because he said" they're acting like they have no competition" he went into too much detail but, whatever. The Stihl guy I go to does both, but is great with stihl. I am still getting a chuckle out of the thousands of hours thing, lol.

Just noticed the bottom of your comment, so which is it thousands of hours or new???? So because I finally had the money up to get a 200T, I'm not allowed a comment?? So the years of using my 020T's, and 192T's don't mean anything I guess? Why did you decide to single me out anyways. I simply was suprised that people didn't prefer a TH saw. I've gone through 4-5 TH saws, been cutting wood my whole life, hell, I'll bet I'm one of only a few guys here, if any, who used a Stihl in Iraq !!! LOL Maybe you need to relax a little. Damn man

Last edited:
It's called sarcasm. I know from looking at it that the saw is brand new and know you just bought it from previous posts you've made. That's why i was wondering what makes you an expert concerning what type of saw to use in the tree. Did you notice the last paragraph.
For a guys who claims to be quick witted, you sure are slow.

I'm pretty smart, so if you wish to continue, feel free, I'm awefully quick witted.

Why did you get singled out? Because the tone of your post wasn't one of surprise, it was a "you're making a mistake not using a top handle." I was attempting to point out that rear handles aren't mistakes for everyone.

Last edited:
It's called sarcasm. I know from looking at it that the saw is brand new and know you just bought it from previous posts you've made. That's why i was wondering what makes you an expert concerning what type of saw to use in the tree. Did you notice the last paragraph.
For a guys who claims to be quick witted, you sure are slow.

LOL, I get the sarcasm, relax.What are you stalking me on here, LOL I had to look back through all 10 pages of this thread to see if somehow I said this directly against you, nope, your attack on me was the first, so I don't know what your deal was for that. I too use a rear handled saw when it calls for it, and they're just clumsier to ME is all. Forgive me for trying a little humor with the nail comment. What makes you an expert anyways?? Age? I NEVER claimed I was an expert, so since you came after me for using a little humor, what do you have in mind for all the other people who posted on the subject? Why just me?? What spawned this anyway?

Last edited:
im not one for rules skwiril but top handle saws should be banned,there little death traps IMO.

im personally convinced using a bigger saw is far safer IMO what you do is up to you if you want to be one handing because you "can"its not my problem:)

Nonsense.

I have been doing treework for many years, and have had a few injuries over the years. Statistically speaking, just from my own experience, the injuries from larger two handled saws are more frequent and more severe.

Reasons?
1. Two handled saws are more often handled by the newbie on the ground that has less experience and training.
2. The top-handled saws are most often restricted to the most skilled cutter.
3. When a top-handle saw is in use, it is most often in an aerial situation, and the operator is typically a lot more concerned about careless follow-through of the bar. They are certainly more worried about needless kickback, since they are often right next to the cut.
4. In the aerial situation, there is seldom a second person nearby to accidentally hit with the saw.
5. When a climber is doing one-handed cuts, they are usually done at arms length, away from the climber. When doing one-handed cuts, I know I am MUCH more focused on keeping the saw away from any of my hide, which I do very seldom.

Granted, these are comments that are more related to the general category of use for the top handled saws, and they are not specific to a top-handled vs two-handed saws comparison in the same setting. But fatigue is probably the second greatest contributor to chainsaw injuries (following poor training/technique), and fatigue of climbers would be greatly increased without the light powerful top-handled saws.

To each his own.

Back