338XPT Husqvarna vs.ms200stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo Bull....No way is he a troll, look at the mod pics he included.

And, over the years, I've run many Huskys, some stock, some modded, some just muffler modded. Years ago, I had a bone stock one that would hold its own with 020's ( or better). The others were also close--when they ran... Now, I run all ported XPT's, versus only muffler screen removed on the 200T. They're all close, except for the one 335, that I got from rich hoffman in pieces, which is still going strong 3 years later, and still easily beats the 200t. Thee 338 that I had woods modded by dozerdan still underwhelms, which is one reason why I have yet to get another 338.....

Currently, the ones I have all start and run reliably. There's still a few of the old nagging problems left....flimsy plug cover that must be taped on (this looks to be remedied on the new saws.) starter rewind that sometimes binds....

I think one reason why so many think the 200 is a much faster saw is the way it runs...higher rpm and quicker acceleration..and easier to start.

There's both good saws, but, as I've stated many times, I prefer the Huskys....and I'm not alone.

As far as the .250 chain goes, it could well be stronger, as the shorter parts may be less likely to break. The .375 low pro is fine if run smoothly by a good operator, and if the tie straps haven't been filed into. I haven't run .250 in 25 years. It's a darned good chain, much smoother cutting, but sure has a lot of cutters to sharpen!

I liked my 335 better than my new 200 t as it already has problems. My 335 never had a problem but finally got dropped from sixty foot on concrete and did it in! The husky dealer was out of top handles so I got the hyped up 200t and now wish I would have bought two huskies:cry:

Hey can any of you clearly explain the husky muffler mod in detail. As well as supply some pics. Would love to try it out on a 334T.
Much appreciated

I liked my 335 better than my new 200 t as it already has problems. My 335 never had a problem but finally got dropped from sixty foot on concrete and did it in! The husky dealer was out of top handles so I got the hyped up 200t and now wish I would have bought two huskies:cry:

I love my 335 Rope - I agree with you completely :givebeer:

welcome to AS... learn to use the search function... tons of info buried
here ya go.... http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=14129&highlight=335+muffler

had zero problems with my old 335xpt... sold it due to all the 200T hype, which turned out to be pretty much accurate.

but in no way does 200T's performance take away from a good running 335xpt. loads of folks had all sorts of problems with their 335's. not me...

seems there's only a tiny handful of folks that report good results with 335xpt. most lean in 200T's favor.

performance wise... my old 335xpt with muffler mod ran just a crack under a stock 200T. both 200T and my old 335xpt were good dependable saws.

335 muff.JPG

335 muff2.JPG

335 muff3.JPG

Hey can any of you clearly explain the husky muffler mod in detail. As well as supply some pics. Would love to try it out on a 334T.
Much appreciated

Last edited:
Some like the 338 some don't! From what I have heard the 338 is not much of an improvement over it's predecessor 335. For me there has not been enough positive feedback to buy a 338.

The 020T/220 may be square and an ergonomic brick but there is no denying the stellar reputation and loyal following that the 020T/200t has!

I have the jonsered 2135 and a 200t and performance wise they are pretty darn close, in fact flip a coin. One place they aren't close is price. Now granted they are my moneymakers so price isn't a huge deal but I could buy 2 2135's to one 200t. I can't sapeak for a 338 but if you can find a 2135 i'd buy it in a flash or even 2.

Just the opposite for me. I got my 200t about three years ago and have done nothing to it but change the spark plug and fix the pull cord. I've dropped it twice (about 20' is the furthest). I love that saw! It's the first one I have used that won't bog in crotch cuts on large limbs.

I have only used a cheap husky in the tree and was not impressed. I'd like to check out a 338 or 335 just to compare.

Just the opposite for me. I got my 200t about three years ago and have done nothing to it but change the spark plug and fix the pull cord. I've dropped it twice (about 20' is the furthest). I love that saw! It's the first one I have used that won't bog in crotch cuts on large limbs.

I have only used a cheap husky in the tree and was not impressed. I'd like to check out a 338 or 335 just to compare.

Yeah it seems their quality is all over the place sorta a expensive crapshoot. I guess if you got a good one your going to be happy. I liked mine for power when it ran right but that was a mere belch in the expected life of a pro saw. I for one will not make that mistake again.

When I was younger I opted to buy a husky over an 020 because I could almost buy three for the price of a stihl. I bought a 142. I actually bought two of them. Man, that was the worst climbing saw I have ever run. The air filter cover was constantly falling off and it would stall when it got hot. I have run some good huskies on the ground but that 142 broke me from buying them for climbing saws. I was on the econo plan back then and was doing everything I could to save pennies. After that I went to an echo in the tree, then a 192 and finally broke down and bought a 200. I had used the 020's back when I worked for other services and always wanted one. They do cost though. If I could find something that would compare to the 200 for less money I would jump on it. I have yet been able to do so.

had zero problems with my old 335xpt... sold it due to all the 200T hype, which turned out to be pretty much accurate.

but in no way does 200T's performance take away from a good running 335xpt. loads of folks had all sorts of problems with their 335's. not me...

seems there's only a tiny handful of folks that report good results with 335xpt. most lean in 200T's favor.

performance wise... my old 335xpt with muffler mod ran just a crack under a stock 200T. both 200T and my old 335xpt were good dependable saws.

046 - - -

I'll just pass along that your "old 335" is STILL a dependable saw! And I, for one, am GLAD that you sold it!

I climb with it frequently.

Thanks...

046 - - -

I'll just pass along that your "old 335" is STILL a dependable saw! And I, for one, am GLAD that you sold it!

I climb with it frequently.

Thanks...

I'm running a couple of 046's saws as well. He knows his stuff and will treat ya right.

BTW, he's a pretty good treeman too... When he wants to be. I think he prefers to turn wrenches though.

I just got in for the day and my 200t went caput again. It keeps having some metering arm issue and even though it's out of warranty the dealer is replacing the carb for free because the problem was noted out of the gate. For what it's worth the 2135 finished the job and never missed a beat and I have to say that saw is really growing on me. Balances well with a 12" bar and plenty of pep and seems feather light, and that cheesy air filtration continues to amaze me on how it doesn't let anything in.

drouins opinion

i think drouin is an escavator, who bought saws cause trees were in the way of his equipment. He thinks top handle saws are a liability, because he doesnt know saws. Or a darn thing about climbing a tree with a saw. Yes, standing in a dozers bucket with a top handle saw can be a problem.
Climbing with a rear handle saw will get you killed quick. Rear handles saws like the stihl 440 are only used in a tree when you are blocking down large logs the top handled ones wont reach through.
As far as 338xpt vs 200t, i like the 200t best.
Most of you are youngsters. When i started climbing, the only top handle saw was the green poulan s25, then came the orange poulan s25da pro.
The s25 didnt even have a chain brake, just a round aluminum handle, that always spit out the bolt. And when you hit the kill switch, one of 3 things happned. The saw stopped, the saw continued to run, or the saw shocked the hell out of you and got flung from the tree you were in.

impossible??

I have two 020Ts and two MS200Ts and recently acquired a MS192T. I have been trying it out the past two days and it is a very good saw. The fuel consumption seems to be much less than that of the MS200T, unless Stihl made the fuel tank bigger. In any case, if I was to buy another climbing saw today, I would go and buy the MS192T for $279 instead of the $459 for the MS200T.

I have been one handing top handle saws for 20 years and never had an accident or even a near accident in that time. Just watch where the tip of your bar is and no problem. You should know where your bar tip is even with a rear handle saw. It is impossible for a saw to kickback if the tip does not contact anything.

Hit a nail in a tree just at the right angle, and the saw will kick back, sometimes real hard, reguardless of where the bar tip is. Kickback does not come ONLY from bar tip contact.

i think drouin is an escavator, who bought saws cause trees were in the way of his equipment. He thinks top handle saws are a liability, because he doesnt know saws. Or a darn thing about climbing a tree with a saw. Yes, standing in a dozers bucket with a top handle saw can be a problem.
Climbing with a rear handle saw will get you killed quick. Rear handles saws like the stihl 440 are only used in a tree when you are blocking down large logs the top handled ones wont reach through.
As far as 338xpt vs 200t, i like the 200t best.
Most of you are youngsters. When i started climbing, the only top handle saw was the green poulan s25, then came the orange poulan s25da pro.
The s25 didnt even have a chain brake, just a round aluminum handle, that always spit out the bolt. And when you hit the kill switch, one of 3 things happned. The saw stopped, the saw continued to run, or the saw shocked the hell out of you and got flung from the tree you were in.

Find me a dozer with a bucket and I will be more likely to believe all of the above.

Dozers have blades, loaders have buckets. In the rare instance that you run into a Cat 963 or similar (which is a track loader) then yes, you have tracks with a bucket, but that ain't a dozer.

For the record, I love a 200T, but i climb with everything from an 026 to an 066 which are rear-handled saws, and I'm still kicking...

Hit a nail in a tree just at the right angle, and the saw will kick back, sometimes real hard, reguardless of where the bar tip is. Kickback does not come ONLY from bar tip contact.

In response to koa man, it is not impossible for a saw to kick back unless the tip hits "something". Yes, that is the main cause, but impossible is a stretch.

Also, I wouldn't buy a 192 if my nuts were on a chopping block. Yes, the 200T is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Not even worth wasting money on a 192. Its like buying a 290 Farmboss when you really need a 361. Yes, they both do the same thing, but a Ferrari and a Datsun both do the same thing too... get you from A to B. However, one is a lot more fun and efficient to operate.

192 is a great saw

if you adjust the carb.​

I love mine.tried several Husky climbing saws, old 338xpt,new 338xpt,335xptc.got rid of all of them as fast as I could.

The new t435 is a different story.I love that damn saw! I haven't used the 192 or the 200 since I got the t435. the Stihls just sit in the job box on the truck.I guess I should probably dump the fuel out of them soon.

At the moment,I am not using any equipment with Flippy Caps! oh life is wonderful!

Yeah it seems their quality is all over the place sorta a expensive crapshoot. I guess if you got a good one your going to be happy. I liked mine for power when it ran right but that was a mere belch in the expected life of a pro saw. I for one will not make that mistake again.

I am quite surprised you were not happy with the stihl. I have 6 of them and I can tell you they work good.I do admit they have carb problems.

I prefer the husky over the stihl, some do, some don't, with a few small mods the husky is a full pound lighter and and more comfy to use than the 200, here's the husky pruning a tree, 30 trees an hour on a ground prune is an average speed, the XPT and 200T are by far the best saw for this job, all cuts have to be smooth with no feathering and flush with no bark damage and all annoying little green shoots removed, both pro saws run smoothly with a solid feel and low vibes, reliable as all hell (anyone claiming the 200T isn't reliable is away with the fairies and doing something drastically wrong), have plenty of pep and power, they put out around 1.6 - 1.7KW with instant trigger response, the Echos and various other non-pro TH saws all feel coarse, unresponsive and sluggish compared

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3kERhDkOdc

Back