338XPT Husqvarna vs.ms200stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one handing

Every now and then I one hand my pistol grips saws to; we cant ban everything. One handing is a necasary evil of chain saw use aloft. LIke anything dangerous its about risk managment and limiting exsposure.

The forest industry here is going through a similar "fuzzy logic, the road to hell is paved with good intentions" process with dangerous tree removal. No one is allowed to work around dangerous trees so they have to be removed. The dangerous designation criteria for a tree is low for laibility reasons. Instead of soemone doing some low impact work around a dangerous tree for a half hour with a spotter some poor smuck [used to be me] has to go and fall the sketchy thing. Whats more dangerous....

Speaking as an old former certified technician ( John-Deere-Poulan- Husky-Sthil- Homelite- Honda- B & S - Tecumseh - Kohler - Tanaka - Generac - McColloch & a few others . All the current saws are a difficult repair. They are very hard to dissassemble & reassemble. Diagnosis is difficult & parts are many. Under warranty, repair times ( saw that has been in the field & dirty ) are too low. Posted ( warranty repair times ) are arrived at using a new saw, tear down & reassemle, on shop workbench,all tools laid out w/ air available. They do this numerous times & then post the best time & use it in the mechanic's shop repair manual. So much for that view. I purchased a brand new 338xpt Husky for $359.00 on-line. Free shipping & no sales tax. It came with a 14 in. bar & chain. I personally would rate it right along side the Sthil competitor. Just an old opinion from an old guy !!!!:chainsaw: :cheers:

i like the stihl 200t.

i haven't used the newest version on the 338 so i can't say anything bad about it.i had a 335 cali and it was ok.i rebuilt the carb when i sold it and it seems like it really screamed when i adjusted it.before that it was just ok.

i opened the muffler up on my 192t and played with the carb.it's ripping pretty damn good right now.i took an oak down last week and i never had the 200 sent up once.went right to the 346 and 372 on the bottom stalk.i'm glad that 192 didn't sell on ebay.i really like it.

I wasn't a saw dealer and am not now. I have used saws for 25 years and climbing saws more than larger saws for the past 20 years. I stated I have an attitude toward husky. I shouldnt even respond to this because it usualy means here we go again. I have used the saw you mentioned, I own one and imho it's a pos compared to MS200. husky screwed thier small independent dealers and that has alot to do with my thinking. I have no relation to anyone who was a husky dealer . Its all about the dollar and if your making it, it was a good decision in your opinion. That's cool and this aint a pissing contest and I wont respond to any comment you want to make. I am only stating my thoughts if they bother you (go make another dollar) and forget what I said ,you'll live longer anyway.

I purchased a brand new 338xpt Husky for $359.00 on-line. Free shipping & no sales tax. It came with a 14 in. bar & chain. I personally would rate it right along side the Sthil competitor. Just an old opinion from an old guy !!!!:chainsaw: :cheers:

thats a great price for that saw man! you won on that round.

Just thought I'd pass along that my "POS" 335 performed amazingly well today! While some people may doubt it, I was out-cutting my friend and his 200T. My thanks to "046" for the saw and the mods.

thanks... glad you like it!!

here's a few pic's of simple muffler mod, enlarged to 85% of exhaust port. actually a copy of Walker's 335 muffler mod. carefully set with Snap-on tach.

really woke up 335XPT

335_muffler_mod_parts.JPG

335_mufler_mod.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on pruning saws 5 days a week usually, have been for years and seen all makes and models come and go, echos, oleo macs, stihls and the xpt huskys, personally I prefer the husky over the 200T for various reasons - but still, as commercial saws, you can't go wrong with either

i have used saws long enough to say one thing, huskys :censored:, and there top handles are even worse!!!!

i have used saws long enough to say one thing, huskys :censored:, and there top handles are even worse!!!!

This statement indicates you have not used saws nearly enough, as they both make some pretty darn good saws, and they both have made some pretty sorry pieces of junk...

I have used both and all you need to do is look at my sig...

The 338, I find to be unbalanced and doesn't run inverted (I know that is a very unusual requirement) but my 020 does everything very well. The Stihl also has a better power band and more torque.

All in all a better bit of kit IMHO.

Used to use Husky until they wouldn't stand behind their products. Had a brand new 338 that wouldn't oil. Took about 7 or 8 times in the shop before they rebuilt it. We bought 200Ts, and now the Husky sits on the shelf.

I don't know if anyone here has had the chance to compare the Husqvarna 338XPT 45cc and the 39cc version (California Emissions Compliant), I would just like to share my opinion. As far as going against Stihl's MS 200T, I'd say the pricing for the German unit may be higher, but you have paid for reduction in weight, cutting flexibility, reliability, and for the company's ads. The Swedish one though, I could vouch for the cutting power, and the way it handles/keeps itself clean when cutting palm trees. But I'm talking about the 33XPt 45cc edition here.

Somehow, the Swedes messed up. While the 45cc was a clumsier alternative for almost $100++ less to the 200T, if you ignore the weight and ergonomics, it was a remarkable top handle chainsaw - performance wise. Then they reduced to power to 39cc here in California to comply with the emissions standards.

I understand it was supposed to be just an engine modification in their production line but as of September 2007, I started noticing that out of the box after you install the bar and chain, put the cover back in and tighten the nut, the moment you torque it deep enough the bolt tip shows up, the chain does not move anymore. It seems locked. We reset the brake and back again. Same thing.

We started one anyway, revved it up full. The noise went over 100 db, chain was barely moving, and it started to smoke around the clutch drum cover. We noticed that the clutch drum bites against the retainers supporting the brake leaf spring/strap on the cover. 4 retainers/stubs that are molded as part of the clutch cover casing, to be specific. In fact, we have seen the marks on the stubs (orange paint came off, cast aluminum surface shines) where the clutch drum rim hits. We had to Dremel each one carefully and file it down to allow the clutch drum to move freely.

Contacting Husqvarna, I was told that there was a case of bad molds from the production line. That warranty will be issued for those we are returning, but... the ones we Dremel'd were okay to release to the customers. Now, either for technical or ethical reasons, I would NOT want to be the person releasing an equipment modified to be different from the production specs. There are liability issues there and the consequences will be a pain to deal with. As far as making the dollar goes, I'd rather lose a few now than lose customers later. Although I consider my customers my friends, I'm pretty sure it won't get in the way of them from filing a lawsuit from a case of a brake strap failure or an exploding clutch cover.

For over a year I have had many requests for the 338XPT from local counties, state parks, cities and landscaping maintenance firms with Husqvarna national accounts (yes, big ones with more than 200 branches nationwide). Husqvarna has not changed anything or did anything about the 338XPT clutch drum-case cover issue, including informing independent dealerships. For what I have seen alone, that would be at least 29 338XPT units. The latest being Dec 23, 2008. Still having the same issue.

I have not cancelled out the possibility that I might be missing something that makes me think the 338XPT CA emissions compliant 39cc is defective right out from the factory. :confused: I took a boxed unit to other Husqvarna certified technicians and they all have the same opinion as I had. Even the Husqvarna rep told me to return them all and have warranty coverage be issued.

I want o know if anyone else at all is having the same problem. :monkey:

Last edited:
Ford vs Chevy. Its a matter of taste. There both good saws just depends what side of the fence the guy your asking is standing on. I run all Stihl equipment because

post 3 was enuff for me to quit reading....

Only thing both parties agree on is which is better!

who cares?

Hey neighbor.
Top handled saws tend to encourage one handed use, which greatly increases cuts to the other hand and arm, plus, it reduces the control in a kick-back event. A lot of guys get cut one handing.
I bet you could find a half dozen stories on cuts by 020s just in the last few weeks, just on these few boards.

they are big boys.they are responsible for their own actions.mind your own business stop trying to save everyone from themselves.liberals are bad enough but Madison Libs are the worst.

pbtree, odd-that's what I thought, too. The first batch we had was September '07.

I didn't even get to notice the change to 39cc after March '08 when we started to have requests for the 45cc XPT CARB III compliant version from Florida, Washington, even Utah (our units ship from Salt Lake :dizzy: ), and to as far as Canada. We have had people wanting to bring it to Ireland.

But we are supposed to check everything and start it before releasing it to customers, so we can't either sell them online, or have somebody purchase it boxed to take on a plane (airline restrictions on flammable liquids).

For now anyway, the MS 200T are selling good as some cities are getting new budgets or are trying to spend the remaining of their '08 ones. Most prefer getting new units rather than spend $240 for an engine block assy. to replace ones they borked (scratched pistons, cylinders, or a fused crankshaft).

The Husky 338XPT has it's own fans, still. It's not about pricing - as they would rather spend over $100 extra over the more practical Stihl MS 192T or Echo's CS-341 - I mean, they're cutting only palm, ficus or magnolias. In about a week from now, I will be receiving new units. I'll be taking pictures and posting them as soon as I get the chance..

Latest posts

Back