338XPT Husqvarna vs.ms200stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rbtree said:
And, at least for the three current ones that I'm running, they all cut with or faster than the 200. (Though I'm sure that when I mod the 200T muffler, it will be faster. However, when that is done, I'll have to have someone mod the carb so that it can be adjusted richer)
Hey Roger, if yuor 200T is new (less than 2 years old) then the jet cap is very easy to remove. Just pull the air filter and the plastic cover behind it so you can see the carb. Then pull the rubber dust cover over the adjustment screws. Take a small screwdriver or something and just slide the cap off the high end jet, then put it back on after rotating it a half turn (or after you've reassembled and tuned the saw). Literally took me 3 minutes to do mine and I didn't damage the cap pulling it off.

I like less regulation and more responsibility. If I'm selling saws, I'm going to tell the potential purchaser that Stihl recommends the 200T 192T for use only in a tree by trained professionals, and if I'm buying a saw I will bear that in mind. But what do you all think of a 192T for pruning around the yard in or out of a tree? I don't see how being in a tree makes it safer or more dangerous, with the possible exception that being in a tree means an increased risk of losing your balance and hurting yourself.

skwerl said:
Hey Roger, if yuor 200T is new (less than 2 years old) then the jet cap is very easy to remove. Just pull the air filter and the plastic cover behind it so you can see the carb. Then pull the rubber dust cover over the adjustment screws. Take a small screwdriver or something and just slide the cap off the high end jet, then put it back on after rotating it a half turn (or after you've reassembled and tuned the saw). Literally took me 3 minutes to do mine and I didn't damage the cap pulling it off.

Is what your discribing a way to get at the "fixed" H jet? My saw just has an adjustable "L" and Idle. Is there an adjustable jet behind that metal insert/cover one the carb?

nope, both mine have an adjustable high speed jet. The fixed jet carbs suck and I wouldn't own one. Sorry, can't help with those.

Stihl is in a class of their own with the 200T.

Dolmar is coming out with their new top handle the PS-3410TH. When they come in I'll let a local Arborist try one. This customer is running the 200T's and has tried every top handle on the market.

attachment.php

MS 200 T Chain Saw
DISPLACEMENT 35.2 cc (2.15 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 1.6 kW (2.1 bhp)
WEIGHT (powerhead only) 3.5 kg (7.7 lbs.)

Model: PS-3410 TH
Engine displacement: 34 cc.
Power Rating: 1.4 kW
Power rating: 1.9 bHP
Max. engine Speed (with bar and chain): 10,000 RPM
Net weight without bar and chain: 7.0 lbs

Does anybody know how many RPM's the 200T turns?

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, I disagree. I actually prefer the 335's....most all problems are worked out..and, for that matter, the 200 has its share of problems anyhow.....

I finally got the 5100 from Ed, just tonite...put the pipe on and fired it up in the house. Nice!!!

Could you do me a favor and email or fax me a bill of sale for my records, please.
pm me for fax or email info...

Thanks!

Roger,
Check your email for the invoice. That was also mailed to you on 11/4/05.

You will like your new 5100s! Ed has it all tuned up for you. Also could you post a picture of the saw, I have only seen the video with the pipe.

KFTree,
I knew the 200T Turned some RPM's but I did not see that listed anywhere. Dolmar also just renumbered that saw from a 3400TH - 3410TH, hopefully they got some more RPM's / Power out of that saw.

Steve

I don't know if this helps, but in a German test report from 1996 the 200T was listed with max power output at 10000 rpm - nothing on max permitted rpm.
This TI from 2004 list the max rpm as 14000.

The corresponding numbers for the 338xpt is 9600/13800rpm.

There has been some misprints/mistakes at Dolmars website. I would not be surpriced if the listed 10000 rpm for the TH-3410 is the max power rpm, and not the max permitted rpm.

Last edited:
SawTroll,
I think you are probably right about the RPM's. I have the saws on order and will be tested when they come in.
Steve

Hi from down under(NZ) just noticed this site while trawling the net, now, the ms200 versus 335/338 XPT 'issue' well I use both these saws commercial pruning pine forests, have done for years, around 200 or so trees per day, day in, day out, month after month, year after year , you get the picture - no mercy on a chainsaw in this job. O.K, out of the two, I waay prefer the XPT,(modified, but we'll get to that soon) mainly because of ergonomics, that's balance and comfort basically. Both saws have closely matched power, the ms has the slightest of edges over the 335 but the power differences are pretty much negligible. Haven't needed to go to the 338 yet as the 335 motor is virtually idestructable ( synthetic 2 stroke oil used always)

Both ms and xpt have a ratsh#t front handle design for tree pruning, the original 019T(just a 'backyard' saw is the 19T) has the best handle design for tree pruning, (some echos have copied the design, but of course echos are absolute sh#t chainsaws) the pics show the 19T handle modded to the xpt, pretty easy to setup. More difficult to mod the side type handle to the ms because of the ms's fuel tank position.

Right, here's the list of what needs doing to a brand new XPT to make it the top notch pruning saw.
1. the 19T handle mod.
2. strip and unrestrict the xpt's lousy fuel tank breather and remove the ridiculous 'plug' that simply won't breathe properly as stock.
3. muffler port cut to re-direct the hot gas away from your trigger hand.(unbelievable design flaw!)
4. Dump the ridiculously frail cheesy oregon bar for a ms200 12" bar running 1/4" chain. An easy mod to fit. (3/8" chain snaps like crazy(both stihl & oregon chain too) and has no place on a professional pruning saw. The 1/4" chain stretches a LOT LESS, and lasts a LOT longer)
5. replace 3/8 drive sprocket and worm with 1/4" sprocket and worm.
6. Hacksaw the ridiculously long chain brake to a short non-tangle, no hassle length.
7. Ditch the stupid muffler screen.

Other annoyances - the airfilter is pathetically frail, and the sparkplug cover is dodgy and weak, ditch the plug cover anyway, as the motor runs cooler without it. Also the bolt-on magnesium cover is weak and fragile too.

So, for a 'buy and use as is' saw, the ms200 would be the first choice. Apart from feeling like an unwieldy uncomfortable brick, and also carboning up the muffler wth oily sludge on stock carb settings, the ms200 is solid and won't dissapoint. Anyway, all in all, the 'modified' husky is better than the stock stihl, but the stock stihl is better than the stock husky.

Always amazes me how the husky designers can put out a potentially brilliant pruning saw with niggly and aggravating 'defects' in design that would be so easy to rectify before manufacture. Anyway, cheers people, as always - just one persons opinion.

alright y'all,,,i have always used a 200t or now a ms220t stihl,,,nothing better than that in my book,,,if you dont like the saw,,,use something else and quit complaining,,,and when was the last you were up in a tree with a saw there complain boy?

,,,and when was the last you were up in a tree with a saw there complain boy? 4.45pm Friday, but that's not important right now, the huskys smoother than the stihl too ha ha but jrpar what if ya don't like the saw but can't use something else because everything else is junk?

Hi from down under(NZ) just noticed this site while trawling the net, now, the ms200 versus 335/338 XPT 'issue' well I use both these saws commercial pruning pine forests, have done for years, around 200 or so trees per day, day in, day out, month after month, year after year , you get the picture - no mercy on a chainsaw in this job. O.K, out of the two, I waay prefer the XPT,(modified, but we'll get to that soon) mainly because of ergonomics, that's balance and comfort basically. Both saws have closely matched power, the ms has the slightest of edges over the 335 but the power differences are pretty much negligible. Haven't needed to go to the 338 yet as the 335 motor is virtually idestructable ( synthetic 2 stroke oil used always)

Both ms and xpt have a ratsh#t front handle design for tree pruning, the original 019T(just a 'backyard' saw is the 19T) has the best handle design for tree pruning, (some echos have copied the design, but of course echos are absolute sh#t chainsaws) the pics show the 19T handle modded to the xpt, pretty easy to setup. More difficult to mod the side type handle to the ms because of the ms's fuel tank position.

Right, here's the list of what needs doing to a brand new XPT to make it the top notch pruning saw.
1. the 19T handle mod.
2. strip and unrestrict the xpt's lousy fuel tank breather and remove the ridiculous 'plug' that simply won't breathe properly as stock.
3. muffler port cut to re-direct the hot gas away from your trigger hand.(unbelievable design flaw!)
4. Dump the ridiculously frail cheesy oregon bar for a ms200 12" bar running 1/4" chain. An easy mod to fit. (3/8" chain snaps like crazy(both stihl & oregon chain too) and has no place on a professional pruning saw. The 1/4" chain stretches a LOT LESS, and lasts a LOT longer)
5. replace 3/8 drive sprocket and worm with 1/4" sprocket and worm.
6. Hacksaw the ridiculously long chain brake to a short non-tangle, no hassle length.
7. Ditch the stupid muffler screen.

Other annoyances - the airfilter is pathetically frail, and the sparkplug cover is dodgy and weak, ditch the plug cover anyway, as the motor runs cooler without it. Also the bolt-on magnesium cover is weak and fragile too.

So, for a 'buy and use as is' saw, the ms200 would be the first choice. Apart from feeling like an unwieldy uncomfortable brick, and also carboning up the muffler wth oily sludge on stock carb settings, the ms200 is solid and won't dissapoint. Anyway, all in all, the 'modified' husky is better than the stock stihl, but the stock stihl is better than the stock husky.

Always amazes me how the husky designers can put out a potentially brilliant pruning saw with niggly and aggravating 'defects' in design that would be so easy to rectify before manufacture. Anyway, cheers people, as always - just one persons opinion.

Sorry but you are wrong! The 200T will smoke a stock 335 or a 338. Period end of story. Now if it is ergonomics thats a personal preference. On paper, or in the real owlrd the 200T has the power not the HUSKY!

Now if we are talking a mufler modded 200T vs. a mufler modded 338, ah heck the Stihl STILL has the power nod!

And what this CRAP about the 1/4" chain being STRONGER than the BIGGER 3/8"? You lost your mind? If that was the case dont you think Stihl would put out 1/4" on the 250, 260, 200, and 200T? Think about it!

I think we may have a new troll here boys!

Yo Bull....No way is he a troll, look at the mod pics he included.

And, over the years, I've run many Huskys, some stock, some modded, some just muffler modded. Years ago, I had a bone stock one that would hold its own with 020's ( or better). The others were also close--when they ran... Now, I run all ported XPT's, versus only muffler screen removed on the 200T. They're all close, except for the one 335, that I got from rich hoffman in pieces, which is still going strong 3 years later, and still easily beats the 200t. Thee 338 that I had woods modded by dozerdan still underwhelms, which is one reason why I have yet to get another 338.....

Currently, the ones I have all start and run reliably. There's still a few of the old nagging problems left....flimsy plug cover that must be taped on (this looks to be remedied on the new saws.) starter rewind that sometimes binds....

I think one reason why so many think the 200 is a much faster saw is the way it runs...higher rpm and quicker acceleration..and easier to start.

There's both good saws, but, as I've stated many times, I prefer the Huskys....and I'm not alone.

As far as the .250 chain goes, it could well be stronger, as the shorter parts may be less likely to break. The .375 low pro is fine if run smoothly by a good operator, and if the tie straps haven't been filed into. I haven't run .250 in 25 years. It's a darned good chain, much smoother cutting, but sure has a lot of cutters to sharpen!

Last edited:
:hmm3grin2orange: Gentleman,gentleman,gentleman,

There IS and CAN only be one CHAMPION.
One VICTOR.
The BEST that was ever made.

And the winner is,..........:smoking:

Cheer, cheer, the ORANGE and WHITE.
It will cut through the day,
And all through the night!!

Husqvarna should stick to making sowing machines.:cry:

The only power tools that should be made out of plastic are
the ones that take batteries, and are used for the pleasurement
of women.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
066 MAGNUM (yeah baby, who's your daddy)
026 (the perfect all rounder)
ms190 (200t just around the corner)
019t (good for the ground)
HT75 (my favourite, my fat ass doesn't have to leave the ground)
BG85 Blower (my other favourite, good cleanup=more work)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even dirty old men need love too :heart: :heart: :heart:

Cool old thread, given the old husky vs stihl fight has anyone else tried the dolmar 3410th? For the $$$ and the power it produces it should be discussed as another choice for the pro. I bought one and am very satisfied with it. Anyone else?

Latest posts

Back