338XPT Husqvarna vs.ms200stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do these saws make things easier/safer?

what do the manufacturers say about using them?

Do not want to jinx myself but I have been nicked more with my handsaw than my 200 top handle saw. I am not crazy about the shape of the handle on the 200, I like the angle of the 192t better, it has a more natural feel in my wrist as opposed to the extra tilt on the 200t. There is no denying the power of the 200t compared to everything else out there. I have the 200 rear handle saw also and LOVE it. Really sweet in the bucket. Great ground saw also with a 16" bar.

a_lopa said:
how do these saws make things easier/safer?

what do the manufacturers say about using them?
Why dont you quit complaining and go back to the way they did it in the olden' days. With and axe and a 2 man saw. Then come back here and tell us whats better, swinging and axe 70ft up or using a trimsaw saw 70ft up.:dizzy:

They call it one handing
because you're likely to wind up
with only one hand.

Just kidding...I love my 200t

TreeCo said:
The top handled saws have a pretty confirmed track record of being the saw of choice for a large percentage of climbers. I like mine.

If you don't feel the top handled saws have advantages then they are not for you. Trying to get such saws banned is not the best idea. What is the next logical step.........no exposed moving parts? Even at it's worst the top handled chainsaw is only marginally more dangerous than a rear handled saw and both are much more dangerous than a cucumber. We will be cutting with cukes before you know it......so I feel as arborist we need to back off the regulation BS unless we want to loose the chainsaw as an arborist tool.

if your going to qoute me dan at least attempt to answer one of the questions.thanks

OK a lopa heres my answer 338 run for the cost you pay for them and same as the 200. My personal choice is husky because we get deals on them and we like their bigger saws.

climber1423 said:
OK a lopa heres my answer 338 run for the cost you pay for them and same as the 200. My personal choice is husky because we get deals on them and we like their bigger saws.

one has nothing to do with the other.........the ms 200's are the best climbing saw's out there. then all my mid size and up saw's are husky and the "big" one is an 880. i'm all about husky but when someone else makes a better product brand loyalty goes out the window.

ALL my saws are Husky, except my MS200T. It's the best climbing saw, period. Who cares about a couple hundred dollars difference in price for a tool that will make you tens of thousands of dollars per year? Ken is correct and I am loyal to the best saw available for my needs.

I agree with you on the best "trimsaw." But I also never stated that husky was better than stihl. I stated that I get husky's because we get deals on them. And they are good for a good period of time. And they get cold to quick. But they do the job for me so Im happy.

Thx Dan

I thought that a disagreement might be a good time for first post. I can certainly understand a lopa's concern about top handled saws. Some climbers can get carried away and sloppy - I did for awhile. But I would much rather work with guys who know how to use a chain break than someone who always uses two hands on a saw. You obviously can't hit the break when you have one hand on the saw but it seems like guys that consistently hit the break after a cut will automatically turn the saw off after making a one handed cut. Conversly, I've worked with guys that never hit the chain break regardless. Chain breaks are probably the most under-utilized safety practice that I have seen both in the bush and on the ground.

dakota said:
I thought that a disagreement might be a good time for first post. I can certainly understand a lopa's concern about top handled saws. Some climbers can get carried away and sloppy - I did for awhile. But I would much rather work with guys who know how to use a chain break than someone who always uses two hands on a saw. You obviously can't hit the break when you have one hand on the saw but it seems like guys that consistently hit the break after a cut will automatically turn the saw off after making a one handed cut. Conversly, I've worked with guys that never hit the chain break regardless. Chain breaks are probably the most under-utilized safety practice that I have seen both in the bush and on the ground.
Hey neighbor.
Top handled saws tend to encourage one handed use, which greatly increases cuts to the other hand and arm, plus, it reduces the control in a kick-back event. A lot of guys get cut one handing.
I bet you could find a half dozen stories on cuts by 020s just in the last few weeks, just on these few boards.

I wouldn't say that you're wrong. No chain saw should be used with one hand. There are, however, advantages to using top-handled saws and there are times when using one hand to guide a limb or push a chunk while sawing through it is "necessary." I've recently left a company where some of their practices made me cringe and with those guys I'd have rather seen them use saw lanyards and hit the chain break even though they kept two hands on the saw.

This exact issue has come up more than once. It's pretty well proven one handed chainsaws can be more dangerous than a simular sized rear handled saw.

no way top handled saws should be banned. in certain situations in a tree, it's actually safer. but rest of the time it's more dangerous due to decreased control in kickback situations and increased danger of cutting your other hand.

In Britain top handled saw use are regulated, only tree surgeons are allow to in trees. They recognize advantages, HSE (Health & Safety Executive) put out an excellent safety manual for proper use.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/crr_htm/2001/crr01402.htm

http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/safety/chainsaw_safety.html

Daveyclimber, thanks for the tip on an alternate and better plug cover for the Huskys. Personally I prefer 335's to the 200T. The lanyard attachment is way better, stronger, and easier to use, and the shape of the saw allows it to be moved through obstacles more easily. The brake and handle hold up better than the 200. And, at least for the three current ones that I'm running, they all cut with or faster than the 200. (Though I'm sure that when I mod the 200T muffler, it will be faster. However, when that is done, I'll have to have someone mod the carb so that it can be adjusted richer) And, all three of them start and run just as well and consistently as the 200T. Another thing I don't like about the 200 is the proximity of the handle to the starter handle. It makes it awkward to do quick hand switchovers.

Latest posts

Back