352 lower gearbox leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blues143

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Vermeer 352 lower gearbox leaks when sitting but not when operating?? anybody change out one of these seals? is it difficult? looks like its just a 45x65x8 lip seal that can be purchased anywhere. is this a dealer job or can I tackle this in the garage??

Did you end up doing this seal job? I need to do it on my machine and don't want to mess anything up. Please let me know. Thank you!

Can anyone confirm how to do this? No info in the manuals. I think the part number for the seal is: 180005530 - Seal-oil 35 x 72 x 10 VITON
It looks easy enough, but I'd like to know before digging in.

If you haven't changed the seal yet, I have done it several years ago. I don't recall exactly what I had to do, but I do know that I didn't have to remove the gear box. Probably removed the cutting wheel and exposed the shaft and got at it right there. I remember it only took a few minutes, but if I did it, anyone can do it. I have a lower gear box in my shed that's off the machine if you need me to take a look and see how the seal is fitted/

Thanks Jimma,

I haven't gotten to it yet. Thankfully I don't need the machine much in the middle of winter so I can get around to it when I get some time.
If it's no big deal I'm sure I can figure it out.
I don't suppose you have a part number would you? I'm thinking I'd like to get it from a parts store not Vermeer if possible.

Hey Stihl8diesel, I got the seal from a gear and bearings place, but I only have the same vermeer number you have. My memory is gone, but I believe I took the old seal off nad the specs were written on the lip. I took it to that shop and they gave me the right seal. I just about to call vermeer myself to order parts for replacing the seal on the hydraulic brake. Trying to determine if I can just oder the seal and do it myself or order the complete assembly. The difference will be between $10 and $1500. I was hoping someone on this board had replaced one already and would tell me it was simple. I have an old gear box in my shed that has a broken shaft I would like to fix, but don't dare tackle that yet. Good luck

Perfect. I figured there must be an alternative to buying from Vermeer. I'll do the same, pull the seal and bring it in to a parts shop.
I've only had this grinder for a few months and really haven't had much time to get to know it. But they seem like fairly simple machines. I do all the work on my trucks so a grinder shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks for the info!
If the gear box you have is not being used you should go ahead and dig into it. At least it's not the one one your machine so you can take your time, learn something new and if you can't figure it out at least you can bring in the parts to a shop to be rebuilt. Good luck to you as well!

Don't remove the gear box from the upper shaft if you don't have to. It fits over a spine on the drive shaft connecting it to the upper gear box and has to align perfectly to slide in place. There are a few tricks to doing it, but it is generally a pain in the butt. The upper gear box is connected with a bolt that breaks frequently and is the most time consuming fix on this machine. The bolt acts not only to hold it on, but was designed to break so the shaft wouldn't be damaged when under too much stress. Connecting those boxes to the shaft requires a lot of patience. Take off the cutting wheel, but leave the gear box bolted in place. Good luck

Latest posts

Back