365 into a 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have read quite a bit here and thought I'd ask for some help.

What parts are NOT interchangeable between 365 special and 372xp. From what I've read here it's mainly the piston/cylinder.

Just trying to get all my parts together before getting started.

Thanks!

Mainly the piston/cylinder and decals.........some years the carbs were different but for a stock to stock conversion the 365 carb will do the trick.

I think another interesting question would be...better to buy a piston & cylinder or have one of these guys who know their stuff to port a 365? That would be an interesting discussion for me..:)

I think another interesting question would be...better to buy a piston & cylinder or have one of these guys who know their stuff to port a 365? That would be an interesting discussion for me..:)

Would be interesting but I'm gathering parts to go with my "spare parts" to build another saw sooo. Well there ya go!

Howdy,
If your 365 has a bolt-on intake manifold, you'll have to buy a clamp-on style to complete the conversion.
Regards
Gregg

Would be interesting but I'm gathering parts to go with my "spare parts" to build another saw sooo. Well there ya go!

So you going to have an aftermarket "big bore"/372 built 365 AND a modded OEM barrel built stock based 365? Wana bet if you pick the right guy the ported OEM 365 pulls harder than an aftermarket big bore built 365? Be interesting to do a cost comparison....

a ported OEM 365 jug would beat a stock 372BB aftermarket setup for sure. The BB kits give you bigger bores, but the port sizes aren't bigger to match (at least on the ones I've played with). Having more displacement doesn't help if you aren't also moving more air and fuel. If you don't want to fart around get an OEM XPW jug and port that. Then you'll never wonder what you could have had...

So you going to have an aftermarket "big bore"/372 built 365 AND a modded OEM barrel built stock based 365? Wana bet if you pick the right guy the ported OEM 365 pulls harder than an aftermarket big bore built 365? Be interesting to do a cost comparison....

Not if the same guy ported the BB kit.

a ported OEM 365 jug would beat a stock 372BB aftermarket setup for sure. The BB kits give you bigger bores, but the port sizes aren't bigger to match (at least on the ones I've played with). Having more displacement doesn't help if you aren't also moving more air and fuel. If you don't want to fart around get an OEM XPW jug and port that. Then you'll never wonder what you could have had...

The 372 BB's have plenty sized transfers. You wouldn't want any larger than what they have. You could increase their size a little but wouldn't go there as they are all that's needed. They don't suffer from the reduced size like some other saws/brands. I'd like to see a 365 pull 36" in hardwood WELL.

This is a very timely topic as I just received a 372BB yesterday to go on a 365 I picked up recently. The kit (not from Bailey's) is Nikasil and the port shape and beveling only needed a little clean-up. The Nikasil is very even and goes very close to the top of the bore, well above the rings. Speaking of rings, it is a two ring set up, but the rings are only .047" ea. How thin are the Husky thin rings? Overall, the quality of this kit is very nice, almost as good as the 064BB kits from Bailey's.
I mounted it today and ran it for about 1/2 tank. It feels very strong. I want to put it in the wood next to my ported 372. I'm sure it's not as fast, but it sure feels as strong as a stock 372, maybe stronger.

225869d1330131477-dscf1457-jpg

225870d1330131479-dscf1459-jpg

Latest posts

Back