• ArboristSite has decided that due to the abusive interactions users are having with each other in the political forum, we will no longer be providing a place to talk politics on this forum. Any political posts will be deleted once discovered or reported to us. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

462 as an everyday?

Terrytheferry

Terrytheferry

Was just wondering if anybody runs a 462 as a daily, I’m currently running a 550xp mark 2 with an 18 inch bar at work, the weight difference between them on paper is only half a kilogram, basically just wondering if people find the 462 comfortable to run 12 hours a day, I have a 461 at home and I find it a little heavy for limbing, and firewood

funky sawman

funky sawman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I rely on my 462 to pay bills. I did own a 372xp at the same time, but found myself grabbing the 462 more often, so I sold that 372. Had that new Stihl for about a month now, and ran about 20 gallons of gas through it. Real smooth saw, and plenty of power for a 28 inch in softwood. All I've done to the saw is muffler mod dual port .

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Was just wondering if anybody runs a 462 as a daily, I’m currently running a 550xp mark 2 with an 18 inch bar at work, the weight difference between them on paper is only half a kilogram, basically just wondering if people find the 462 comfortable to run 12 hours a day, I have a 461 at home and I find it a little heavy for limbing, and firewood
No metric here in the states, and I dunno about your wording here, but the spec. weight on a 550xp Husky is only 10.8 pounds. That is a flyweight 50cc saw. The 462 is 13.2 pounds. The 461 is 14.7 pounds. That is a pound and a half difference and more than a half kilo difference between them. Also there is a huge difference in vibration, which also greatly impacts fatigue with use. Vibration on the Husky 550xp is 3.8 m/s² & 3.7 m/s² front - rear handle. Now the Stihl 461 and 462 are counter intuitive. While the 462 is a considerably lighter saw, it has a lot more vibration. The vibration on the Stihl 461 is 4.0 m/s² & 3.8 m/s² front - rear handle (nearly the same as the 550xp) and the 462 is 4.8 m/s² & 3.6 m/s² front - rear handle. These values are from the UK Stihl site, as they do not post them here in the US.

Dunno why you would want a 70cc saw for limbing. The 550xp was made for that. The 461/2 are bucking/falling saws. Personally I find high vibration saws more tiring to use, as is the same with heavier saws. Also saws with more torque are more fatiguing, as they have a lot more pull on the bar. I like my 361 saws as they have really low vibration below 3.0 and they are fairly light weight at 12.3 pounds. I can run one for an 8 hour day. Dunno about running one for a 12 hour day. Even in my prime...

Rabid K9

Rabid K9

ArboristSite Lurker
Yep, love it.

Go to medium saw after 261. Limbing, stand thinning, small-medium felling, not bad to climb with for blocking off etc. Have five motor heads in the same class & 462 is the pick. Narrow engine block is a big winner for user ergonomics.

500i is really nice, since that came along the 462 & 661 have been getting a bit less attention though.