550xp testing out 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sukpad

Woodbooger "newb"
Reaction score
With all the hype about the new mk2 saws and new stuff coming out I decided it's time to take my 550xp and just have some fun with it. So I went and got a new sprocket and a new 18" bar and chain and here it is. Did a few test cuts and plunges on some cherry out in the back yard. I'm liking it so far.

Who else is running 3/8 on there 550xp?

Attachments

• IMG_20190119_105904949.jpg
    IMG_20190119_105904949.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 47
Sounds like fun for a tank or two. Hope you kept sprocket, b/c that you took off. You will need them imo.

Sounds like fun for a tank or two. Hope you kept sprocket, b/c that you took off. You will need them imo.
Oh of course I kept the sprocket. Honestly it felt right at home with the 3/8 18"and seemed to cut about the same as it did with a .325 20"

550xp cuts faster with 3/8. I've tried it both ways with 16" , 18" & 20" bars. 3 /8 is the clear winner.
That's very reassuring. It seems like so many people are so torn up over the 50cc saws running .325 or 3/8. It's not like I decided to put a 28" on there with a skip chain.... Although I'm tempted now just for haha's to see if it pulls or not...lmao

That's very reassuring. It seems like so many people are so torn up over the 50cc saws running .325 or 3/8. It's not like I decided to put a 28" on there with a skip chain.... Although I'm tempted now just for haha's to see if it pulls or not...lmao
STIHL picco 3/8 lo-Pro PS63 wood make a nice chain for that saw , might have to swap components to make it work though

Any saw 50cc and larger will benefit from a 3/8 setup. (once you see what you've been missing, I doubt you'll ever put that old crap back on)

It'll cut better and it's also easier to sharpen.

Just don't go excessive on bar length.

50cc, being on the lower end of the acceptable power required for 3/8, my suggestion would be a 16" bar ... w/18" being the absolute max.

Going any larger on that HP of saw is counterproductive.

3/8 is perfectly fine on most good running 50cc saws, in fact thay can cut a little faster too. The only real difference I noticed is .325 is smoother, especially when cutting smaller stuff.
Smoother can be a nice benefit. I also like that the 325 isn't as grabby, lots of good things about that when cuts are more crucial, for firewood neither of these matter much if they are on a saw with good AV to me.

vey interested in hearing this conversation as i ordered a 550xp that comes with 16" bar with .325 chain.
read and heard things about not going any bigger with the bar but was looking to eith put an 18" or 20" and continue to run the .325 chain, anyone want to weigh in on that debate?

vey interested in hearing this conversation as i ordered a 550xp that comes with 16" bar with .325 chain.
read and heard things about not going any bigger with the bar but was looking to eith put an 18" or 20" and continue to run the .325 chain, anyone want to weigh in on that debate?
13,15,and 18 called length bars in Husqvarna are balanced loops at 56, 64, and 72. The 16" is 66 dl with two cutters pointing the same way in a row. I am not debating anything and you can test out 3/8 and comment if you care. I think the 3/8 called length is longer in real length, 16".

I suppose one ought to specify Nk or regular .325 chain when stating do not go longer than some value.

If you already have 3/8 bar and chains then for $10 or less you can try it on your 550. Go to a dealer and ask for the small 7pin 3/8 sprocket. Then see of they have to tool to remove the clips to get the sucker out. I took my saw apart in the parking lot changed the sprocket and brought the tool back inside to the tech.

13,15,and 18 called length bars in Husqvarna are balanced loops at 56, 64, and 72. The 16" is 66 dl with two cutters pointing the same way in a row. I am not debating anything and you can test out 3/8 and comment if you care. I think the 3/8 called length is longer in real length, 16".

I suppose one ought to specify Nk or regular .325 chain when stating do not go longer than some value.
Didn't know this. Honestly never heard this before. Maybe that's why my 550 liked the 18 better that the 16 and my 445rancher liked a 15 better than a 16.

I ran 16" . 325 on the 346s' for years, but found 18" . 325 to be the sweet spot for a 50cc. I like the extra reach & they still pull it well when buried full length.

When I started porting 346's or just muffler mod, I found 3/8 cut faster & is easier to sharpen.

When I was looking at this 550, the guy had 20" 3 /8 on it and it pulled it just fine, surprisingly well. So I put 18" 3 /8 on it & that's where it'll stay.

I like 18" on my small saws, which I use the most & 20" on the 60cc saws.

I wish I went w/ a 20" or at least a 18" .325 on my 246. I bought a 16" .325 which makes you bend over a lot more. I just use mine for limbing.

I ran 3/8 chain on my stock 261. It cut fine. Now that it's ported it's a great setup for firewood, where the bigger chain lasts longer between filings and each loop lasts longer overall. For work in the woods limbing, thinning, felling small trees, I prefer .325 for the extra torque and smoothness.

I ran 3/8 chain on my stock 261. It cut fine. Now that it's ported it's a great setup for firewood, where the bigger chain lasts longer between filings and each loop lasts longer overall. For work in the woods limbing, thinning, felling small trees, I prefer .325 for the extra torque and smoothness.
Yeah, but that doesn't compare to a 550 :p.
Most the ported 50cc saws I've ran did just fine with a 3/8x20.
As Don said I like an 18x325 on my stock or lightly modded 50's.

Back