7 or 8 tooth sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caddguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I currently have an 044 with a worn out 7 tooth sprocket on a 20 in bar.
Any advantage to putting a 8 tooth one on since I need to replace it anyways?

why not get one of each and see which one works best for you?

I paid 3.95 USD for some Oregon ones last week. Cheap enough.

What do you mean "Heavy handed" Brad?
I don't think so but I do use them quite a bit as that is the safer way to saw.

Using the spikes to lever the saw into the wood. The 8-pin will add chain speed but will sap torque from the saw. It will bog more easily. It just depends on what you're cutting and your cutting style as to which will work best for you.

I didn't think the 8 pin was all that much faster than the 7 pin in small wood. However, you'll definitely notice that the 7 pin holds its RPM's better in the cut (hardwoods anyway), especially when you burry the bar. It may be a toss-up with 20" bar, but you'll want the 7 pin for any bar larger.

why not get one of each and see which one works best for you?

I paid 3.95 USD for some Oregon ones last week. Cheap enough.

Using the spikes to lever the saw into the wood. The 8-pin will add chain speed but will sap torque from the saw. It will bog more easily. It just depends on what you're cutting and your cutting style as to which will work best for you.

You two nailed this one! :cheers:

Nothing more to say.

I have found that with most stock saws the loss in torque just isn't worth the extra chain speed, stick with the 7 pin.:cheers:

I agree. At the end of the day less wear and tear on saw and operator.

I now run 7 pins on all my 3/8 saws. I used to swap and fuss.

8 pin is esp unforgiving when a chain starts to dull.

I have found that with most stock saws the loss in torque just isn't worth the extra chain speed, stick with the 7 pin.:cheers:

I agree. At the end of the day less wear and tear on saw and operator.

I now run 7 pins on all my 3/8 saws. I used to swap and fuss.

8 pin is esp unforgiving when a chain starts to dull.

I am not a pro, and not in a hurry - but I like to experiment a little.

8-pin easily beats 7-pin with a 15" bar on my MS361 in my birch - it doesn't really matter, but it is more fun to run that way......:)

Last edited:
Will an 8 pin be faster? maybe, will it work? yes, but it's harder on the saw and in the end generally not worth it. Now if we're talking softwood or modded saws, that's a different story. With that said it's still probably best to stick with a 7 pin on a 70cc saw.

And yes the experimenting part is fun and like others have said an 8 pin sprocket is cheep.:givebeer: I was just trying to answer the OP question to the best of my ability. A stock 440 will run best with 7 pin in most circumstances.

Last edited:
Will an 8 pin be faster? maybe, will it work? yes, but it's harder on the saw and in the end generally not worth it. Now if we're talking softwood or modded saws, that's a different story. With that said it's still probably best to stick with a 7 pin on a 70cc saw.

And yes the experimenting part is fun and like others have said an 8 pin sprocket is cheep.:givebeer: I was just trying to answer the OP question to the best of my ability. A stock 440 will run best with 7 pin in most circumstances.

+1 :agree2:

When I got my 7900, I put a 24" bar and 8 sprocket on it. I didn't like it. I threw the chain a couple times, and the extra chain speed was kinda scary sometimes while cutting firewood. It just seemed like the combination of a powerful saw, and a blazing chain for limbing and smaller wood is asking for trouble. It's not that I use the 7900 for limbing, but sometimes you end up limbing just because it's easier than getting the 5100 to cut for a couple minutes. I'm not a wimp, I run a 10 pin on my mac hotsaw, but that is a more controlled situation, you're not going to pinch the chain, or have a kickback. You really need to get the stopwatch out to see if it would cut faster anyway. You might be surprised with the results.
Scott

Latest posts

Back