7 or 8 tooth sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried 8-pin 20", my 440 did not like it, was always on the verge of bogging which ain't a sound I enjoy. Also, if I stopped deep in a cut was often much more difficult to get the chain spinning again.

Fun $4 toy for the cookie log but it don't work in the woods.

I know a 441 isn't necessarily in the same league as a 7900 but I run an 8 pin in hardwood on my 20" and it is noticably faster than a 7 pin - this is with both semi and full chisel. With full chisel in green timber it can actually be uncomfortably fast and a bit out of control if you're not on the ball. I run only 7 pin sprockets on my 25" and 32" bars but have experimented a bit.

I put a 8 pin on my 441 with a 20 and I'm still on the fence about it...
I think it does cut faster and has a little more tendency to bog. It doesn't bog/hang real easy, but you can't lean on it like you can with the 7.

Like what was said above, it's a blast to cut cookies with, but a little "uncomfortable" in a real world cutting situations. Mainly because I'm not used to a saw cutting that fast and it can get away from you as you tire. I think it would be fine once I got used to it, but it makes the saw a little more temperamental in the cut and thus a little more tedious and tiering to use. At this point I'm thinking of switching back to the 7 for "real world cutting". If I was just cutting in a pile of cut to length logs into firewood all day, I'd probably stay with the 8....

But for the price, you should buy both the 7 and 8 to see the difference for yourself.

Excellent question by the way.

I suppose I need to elaborate a little....I just rebuilt this saw from ground up...pretty much everything short of the crank itself is new...AND...I have a 44BB kit in it also. So it runs like a new 046 really.

Back