$80 Per Cord In Log Lengths

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does this sound to you guys, This is from a tree service in South Shore of Boston area.

Make some other calls! I know several people that have relationships with tree services such that if they want logs delivered for firewood use, they can call and the logs are dropped for free. Sell it as you are saving them dump fees elsewhere and be flexible with timing.

Thanks,
I'm looking for a large load, maybe 10 cords to buck and split for the next year or two.
I'll definitely be looking to take advantage of drop offs once I get a (real gravel) access road cut in off of my frontage.
It's taken me four years to get the grounds in shape to please the missus,
I can imagine her showing up to a few 25' oak logs in the driveway.
Be kinda tough gettin around in the casts (plural) :)

It's a good deal as long as it's all hard wood. Make sure you specify that you only want hard wood. Mixed species is fine but no soft wood. If that's the case then $80 is a fine deal. I promise you that the days of free wood from the tree services is fast coming too a close. By that I mean good hardwood firewood. You'll probably always be able to get trashwood because they dump it anyways as someone mentioned. :cheers:

Last edited:
up here loads of 8' hardwood pulp went to $85 a cord before break-up.if that is what the mills are paying thats what you're gonna pay

I just got a price yesterday six cord for $540 hardwood logs. This is in the Syracuse NY area.

Just Paid $700 For A Full Load,,,mass Here Too

How does this sound to you guys, This is from a tree service in South Shore of Boston area.
HEY,,,FROM SOUTH OF WORCESTER MASS,,,,GO RED SOX! JUST GOT A FULL LOAD OF HARD STUFF BIGGEST BEING 18 ROUND OR SO, IT'S ABOUT 8 CORD,,,PAID $700 FOR TREE LOG SIZE

It's a good deal as long as it's all hard wood. Make sure you specify that you only want hard wood. Mixed species is fine but no soft wood. If that's the case then $80 is a fine deal. I promise you that the days of free wood from the tree services is fast coming too a close. By that I mean good hardwood firewood. You'll probably always be able to get trashwood because they dump it anyways as someone mentioned. :cheers:

Around here, no mills will take "city trees". The tree services are having to dump most everything as logs or take them to a chip mill. It is easy to get GREAT loads of hardwood logs for nothing. We love to get rid of logs where somebody will use them. Occasionally, if I know someone needs firewood, I'll call them and offer to drop some or call one of several other local tree services and let them know of a drop off site near them. Very few of the "city trees" have enough foreign material in them to warrant disposal rather than firewooding.

I get exactly that, 'city logs' for free. Good hardwood, black locust, white oak etc. As you pointed out before, flexibility is key. It can take a few months for the guy who I get logs from to produce.

Last edited:

That sounds about right. I'm just north of Boston, and I've made quite a few calls, everyone seems to be between $500 and $600 for a grapple load (6-8) cords. The less they have to drive to get to you, the lower the price. (die$el)

That sounds about right. I'm just north of Boston, and I've made quite a few calls, everyone seems to be between $500 and $600 for a grapple load (6-8) cords. The less they have to drive to get to you, the lower the price. (die$el)

It's all about relationships, contacts and flexibility. Develop relationships with the tree services that save them dump fees and get you FREE wood. I could make 3 phone calls in the next 15 minutes and have 8-12 chords of logs either delivered onto our wood yard or into my personal front yard within 2 days for zero cost.

Last edited:
Fuel cost has played a big role in the price of delivered wood lately. I can't say I blame anyone of them for raising the price for "city" wood or not. A buddy of mine has a tri-axe truck with a loader that only gets 6mpg at $4 a gallon!
:jawdrop:

Fuel cost has played a big role in the price of delivered wood lately. I can't say I blame anyone of them for raising the price for "city" wood or not. A buddy of mine has a tri-axe truck with a loader that only gets 6mpg at $4 a gallon!
:jawdrop:

True... and we shouldn't ever take advantage of the tree services. What I am talking about is a way to REDUCE their costs! They are able to drop stuff at our place rather than driving further to dump it elsewhere. Creativity... think about it... sell it to the services... "You can dump here for free... cheaper than you can haul it elsewhere." Make sure they know that it is a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Try it... it's the truth... and it works.

Latest posts

Back