Weight of exactly 1 face cord of split & seasoned oak firewood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever weighed 1 face cord of seasoned and split oak firewood?
There might be a some variation due to moisture, slight log length variations, etc., but on average, what does it weigh?

There might be a some variation due to moisture, slight log length variations, etc., but on average, what does it weigh?

1600#. Several people on YouTube have done it - Mike Morgan and Adam from Hometown Acres.

"Face" cord isn't a universal measurement. The definition varies regionally and sometimes from person to person. "Cord" is a legally defined unit of measurement consisting of 128 cubic feet of split and tightly stacked wood. One cord of seasoned red oak weighs somewhere around 4000 lbs. White oak is more. You can do the math from there, depending on your defintion of "face" cord.

My reason for asking this is to figure out if I can legally load 1 cord (3 face cords), onto a one-ton dually flat bed stake side, without being overweight as per D.O.T. regulations.
The law will apply whether a person is just hauling there own firewood, or whether they have a sign on the side of the truck offering firewood for sale and their phone number.
As far as I know DOT laws apply to private individuals as well as legitimate businesses. Your GVW cannot be exceeded, and you must have "load rated" tires. Can't remember what the GVW is on a 1 ton dually.
Technically, I think if you have a truck used for a business, you have to have US DOT numbers posted on the truck even if it is underneath CDL and under 26,000 lbs.

My reason for asking this is to figure out if I can legally load 1 cord (3 face cords), onto a one-ton dually flat bed stake side, without being overweight as per D.O.T. regulations.
The law will apply whether a person is just hauling there own firewood, or whether they have a sign on the side of the truck offering firewood for sale and their phone number.
As far as I know DOT laws apply to private individuals as well as legitimate businesses. Your GVW cannot be exceeded, and you must have "load rated" tires. Can't remember what the GVW is on a 1 ton dually.
Technically, I think if you have a truck used for a business, you have to have US DOT numbers posted on the truck even if it is underneath CDL and under 26,000 lbs.

The 2009 Silverado 3500HD dually we had was 12,000 GVWR. It had a steel landscape tilt bed on it with a 4ft headache rack and dump gate that was 2ft. Sides were 2ft tall using 2x12'. I added two more 2x12' and could toss in 1 cord. No one ever questioned it and I never had to report to scales but it was over. The TARE on the truck was 9,100. Leaving only 2,900 for cargo weight. Once we found that out, to be legal we bought a dump trailer that could hold/haul 2 cord (4ft x 8ft x 12ft).
20191025-firewood-2cords-in-trailer-2.jpg
We've since gotten rid of that and went with a International CV515 with 12,000 hook lift. Even with a GVWR of 23,000lbs, the TARE comes in at about 12,500lb, and that is with an aluminum box. Leaving 10,500 lbs for cargo. The alum box being 4ft tall, 8ft wide and 12 ft long, just fits in 2 cord dumped in.

20220710_115055-firewood-2-cord-14inch-gina-hooklift.jpg

Recently a customer came to pick up two cord with a 12ft dump trailer, to fit 2 cord it had to be stacked in because he only had 3ft sides.

20231007_123514-2cordintoa3x7x12trailer.jpg

For a loose load (tossed in) in a 12ft trailer, every foot in height is 1/2 a cord.

The 2009 Silverado 3500HD dually we had was 12,000 GVWR. It had a steel landscape tilt bed on it with a 4ft headache rack and dump gate that was 2ft. Sides were 2ft tall using 2x12'. I added two more 2x12' and could toss in 1 cord. No one ever questioned it and I never had to report to scales but it was over. The TARE on the truck was 9,100. Leaving only 2,900 for cargo weight. Once we found that out, to be legal we bought a dump trailer that could hold/haul 2 cord (4ft x 8ft x 12ft).
View attachment 1118817
We've since gotten rid of that and went with a International CV515 with 12,000 hook lift. Even with a GVWR of 23,000lbs, the TARE comes in at about 12,500lb, and that is with an aluminum box. Leaving 10,500 lbs for cargo. The alum box being 4ft tall, 8ft wide and 12 ft long, just fits in 2 cord dumped in.

View attachment 1118818

Recently a customer came to pick up two cord with a 12ft dump trailer, to fit 2 cord it had to be stacked in because he only had 3ft sides.

View attachment 1118819

For a loose load (tossed in) in a 12ft trailer, every foot in height is 1/2 a cord.

Great information. And nice equipment !!!

Dang, I didn't think one face cord of Oak was around 1600 lbs.
If your customer wants one cord, it'll be impossible to haul it all in one load on a 1 ton dually legally. Key word "legally". Unless you had a trailer suitable to haul part of it.

If your question was about weight of 1 cord why did you ask about a face cord?

If your question was about weight of 1 cord why did you ask about a face cord?

Originally asked about the weight of one face cord, then calculated the weight of a cord from there.
Some folks might only want a face cord, others might want a cord... or more.

Originally asked about the weight of one face cord, then calculated the weight of a cord from there.

Again, a "face cord" doesn't have a universal meaning. It's basically a regional slang term that has a variety of different definitions.

Dang, I didn't think one face cord of Oak was around 1600 lbs.
If your customer wants one cord, it'll be impossible to haul it all in one load on a 1 ton dually legally. Key word "legally". Unless you had a trailer suitable to haul part of it.

Hauling 4000 lbs. in a one ton is something that is done safely all the time. I used to deliver a cord in mine regularly and mine is a SRW. Be sure the load is well secured and you'll be fine.

Hauling 4000 lbs. in a one ton is something that is done safely all the time. I used to deliver a cord in mine regularly and mine is a SRW. Be sure the load is well secured and you'll be fine.
same

just delivered to my own home. many times. payload of the truck is 4,500lbs.

more importantly is HAVE THE APPROPRIAT TIRES. personally I buy a tire that can hold 4,000 per tire. load E or F is they only way. if your running BFG KO2's or something similar they are almost always under the needed rating. BFG's are for jeeps and 1/2 tons

Again, a "face cord" doesn't have a universal meaning. It's basically a regional slang term that has a variety of different definitions.
Actually, all cut-for-firewood is measured by the bush cord. Stacked. 4' x 4' x 8'. pretty simple. A "face cord" is nothing more than what you see, when you look at the stacked wood. That would be the "face" of the cord. Here in Michigan, and S.W Ontario, wood is sold and delivered in Bush Cords.

Actually, all cut-for-firewood is measured by the bush cord. Stacked. 4' x 4' x 8'. pretty simple. A "face cord" is nothing more than what you see, when you look at the stacked wood. That would be the "face" of the cord. Here in Michigan, and S.W Ontario, wood is sold and delivered in Bush Cords.
Most states have the definition of "cord" codified in state law. I've never heard of a "bush cord", and I was in the tree service industry for 20 years. Is that something that is codified in Michigan or Ontario law?

IF you sell firewood, in a wood heating area, nobody wants a single face cord.......thats like buying home heating by the day? Casual homeowners with unsealed fireboxes will burn a FC thru the holidays, and be asking for more.

Latest posts

Back