Weight of exactly 1 face cord of split & seasoned oak firewood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most states have the definition of "cord" codified in state law. I've never heard of a "bush cord", and I was in the tree service industry for 20 years. Is that something that is codified in Michigan or Ontario law?
I am interested too. What is this 'bush cord.'

In forestry school, we were heavily instructed in wood measurement. Accordingly, 'face cord' could mean anything and was basically a surrogate for some fraction of a cord. The use of a face cord was supposed to make the measurement of volume easier in certain circumstances.

Commercial volumes of wood by face cord were to be defined in a contract where method of measurement and its relationship to an actual cord or cubic volume was defined. In reality, I don't know of anyone who actually used face cord as a measurement in a commercial setting.

In this part of the States, sales by face cords are rare and seem to be limited to sales to unknowledgeable home owners.

In forestry school, we were heavily instructed in wood measurement. Accordingly, 'face cord' could mean anything and was basically a surrogate for some fraction of a cord. The use of a face cord was supposed to make the measurement of volume easier in certain circumstances.

Commercial volumes of wood by face cord were to be defined in a contract where method of measurement and its relationship to an actual cord or cubic volume was defined. In reality, I don't know of anyone who actually used face cord as a measurement in a commercial setting.

In this part of the States, sales by face cords are rare and seem to be limited to sales to unknowledgeable home owners.
It's amazed me for years how many customers I encountered while selling firewood who had no idea how to calculate the volume of a cube. The concept that 128 cubic feet of wood didn't have to be in a 4'x4'x8' stack to be measured was beyond many people's understanding.

I live in Northern NY, and firewood is almost always sold by the face cord. It is simply 1/3 of a full cord.

iv been Michigan for 23 years ( no record I know but...) of my life and never heard of or seen the words "bush cord" and a face cord has always been 1/3 of a cord. but I don't sell or buy wood. just scrounge it.

Actually, all cut-for-firewood is measured by the bush cord. Stacked. 4' x 4' x 8'. pretty simple. A "face cord" is nothing more than what you see, when you look at the stacked wood. That would be the "face" of the cord. Here in Michigan, and S.W Ontario, wood is sold and delivered in Bush Cords.
what if you are tall and see the top of the stack and 2 of the sides at the same time. can I get that for a face cord price?:happybanana:

Just a random fact here - The other day I threw a 1/2 cord [was stacked on a pallet] 4x4x4 ft. on my Ford to deliver it - There was 301 split pieces of firewood on there. Only reason it got thrown on by hand was a blown 1" hydraulic line on my old Trojan loader.

A face cord here isn't a unicorn measurement. 1/3 of 1, basic math.
I don't think anyone was saying it was a "unicorn" measurement, just that the definition isn't the same everywhere and by everyone. I've talked to folks who defined it like you do, some define it as "any stack of wood", some define it as "a stack of wood, of any length, that measures 4x8 on the face (typically anywhere from 12-30 inches in length), + a few others. A "cord" on the other hand, means the same thing everywhere in North America.

what gets me is the name "face cord" is an amount of wood that can be sold in this country. disregard the amount each regain says it is, that is not important. what is important is, HOW in some cases can it not be an actual measurable amount, like "1/3 of a cord" for example. how can it be a "stack of wood" or the amount you see when you look at a stack..... or any other non measurable designation form one scenario to the next, and be sold as such.

curiosity has got me.

what gets me is the name "face cord" is an amount of wood that can be sold in this country. disregard the amount each regain says it is, that is not important. what is important is, HOW in some cases can it not be an actual measurable amount, like "1/3 of a cord" for example. how can it be a "stack of wood" or the amount you see when you look at a stack..... or any other non measurable designation form one scenario to the next, and be sold as such.

curiosity has got me.
Have to admit it's probably a little bit better than the standard I see around here of "pick-up truck load".
Try to guess how much wood you're being asked to buy.

Have to admit it's probably a little bit better than the standard I see around here of "pick-up truck load".
Try to guess how much wood you're being asked to buy.
Years back I saw an ad for mostly poplar firewood. It was already split and all over the guys yard. He said $25 a truck load no matter what size. I just wanted it for fire pit wood and was pretty happy with it. I see other here now selling hardwood for $150 for a 6’ bed and $175 for an 8’, That’s nuts.

Latest posts

Back