Advice for buying a chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jburke01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm just now starating my own business and I have 6-8k to spend on a chipper. I have found a bandit 200 with 2900 hours on it for 7500 it has a Perkins diesel. That same place also has a woodchuck hyroller 1200 with a cat engine that reads 525 hours for 8500. How many hours is too many hours? If that makes any sense any input will be greatly appreciated

It depends on how well maintained and serviced the machines are. Perkins engines usually has a long service life even when they are not cared for. It should be no problem getting parts for both the Cat and Perkins.

>I'm just now starating my own business

well, good for you! hope it is successful. I, for one, admire entrepreneurship. takes a lot of savy, drive, determination and some good luck, too... to place capital at risk and use it to seek a profit! not much of all of that can I offer you, however, I can offer you a hope for some: Good Luck! :)

you mite want to also place your post in Business Management section, too. there is a chipper post. not sure how deep into equipment it might go, seems to start off about insurance. maybe some chipper guys can offer some insight on equipment you are seeking...

The Bandit 200 and W1200 are pretty similar chippers. The Perkins and Cat are probably the same engine.
So, as far as what is best? That depends on the condition of the machines, how it had been used and serviced in the past.
It also depends on what kind of support you have locally. If there is a local Perkins dealer but no Cat then go with the Perkins.
If the Altec dealer is good but the Bandit dealer sucks then....
For the most part both machine are well built.

I'm just now starating my own business and I have 6-8k to spend on a chipper. I have found a bandit 200 with 2900 hours on it for 7500 it has a Perkins diesel. That same place also has a woodchuck hyroller 1200 with a cat engine that reads 525 hours for 8500. How many hours is too many hours? If that makes any sense any input will be greatly appreciated
hours 3000, 4000 are not too many on a regular maintained chipper. clock of 525 is either broken or machine was barely looks used.
suggest look for one with a winch, a great time saver on sloped job sites. $4500 to 7500 should buy a 12" chipper at 25 yrs old, which is enough to get started. good luck.

Back