Advise, Where to trim off large broken branches on Silver Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try not to make big trunk cuts on silver maples when at all possible. The callus tissue can't close the wound before decay takes root. In your case cutting off the jagged branch break points leaving large unsightly stubs is most beneficial for long term tree integrity. Decay will happen at the wound away from the tree stem. Suckering will also happen, these suckers can be managed over time.

I try not to make big trunk cuts on silver maples when at all possible. The callus tissue can't close the wound before decay takes root. In your case cutting off the jagged branch break points leaving large unsightly stubs is most beneficial for long term tree integrity. Decay will happen at the wound away from the tree stem. Suckering will also happen, these suckers can be managed over time.

+1

Thank you, that makes sense. Is there anything to put on the branch where it is cut to reduce the possibility of decay?

This maple was damaged in a windstorm and was wondering the best area to cut back the broken limbs. Thanks.

View attachment 755201 View attachment 755202
That's a shame about your Maple. Beautiful tree.
(advise is what you're giving us and advice is what you need....lol. It's all ok, the letters are close together on your keyboard)
I'd do exactly what Raintree said and cut the stubs off at least back a few feet away from the main trunk.
Cutting too close to the trunk could jeopardize the future health of the tree.

That's a shame about your Maple. Beautiful tree.
(advise is what you're giving us and advice is what you need....lol. It's all ok, the letters are close together on your keyboard)
I'd do exactly what Raintree said and cut the stubs off at least back a few feet away from the main trunk.
Cutting too close to the trunk could jeopardize the future health of the tree.

LOL, well, I didn't see where to edit it after I was done and figured everyone would know what I needed. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back