Amsoil sabor or sthil ultra for hard working saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Saber better than Ultra? The answer is yes. Not not necessarily from the lubrication standpoint however. Burns cleaner, costs less and no nasty burnt plastic smell. Denominator is well liked, but has little corrosion protection, not a good storage lube.
Do you think the lubrication is about the same??

They tested saber in echo string trimmers at 100:1 and they held up. There are YouTube videos of that testing and others.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
But unless it is a meaningful size group and tested to destruction with controls it isn’t a very good test.

If an oil screws up a saw and it can be proven it is the oil ....it is a good test......and bad oil.

I used to use Still Ultra 50:1 and I was a little surprised how much carbon buildup that was on top of the piston on my MS290, it wasn't really bad, but it was more than I thought there should be. A few months ago I got a Gal of the Amsoil Sabor, So far I like it, haven't used much of it. It was cheaper than buying a gal of Sthil Ultra. It must be good stuff if people run it with such low ratios, I won't run anything of mine with those ratios, so far I've been running it at 40:1 with 100LL fuel, everything starts great, runs great, and have had no problems. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Sthil Ultra, but for a better price per gal for a premium oil, I think the Sabor is better.

But unless it is a meaningful size group and tested to destruction with controls it isn’t a very good test.

If an oil screws up a saw and it can be proven it is the oil ....it is a good test......and bad oil.
It's an ongoing test. They pull the muffler and check for scoring and carbon deposits every so many hours. A lot of lawn care people are running it 100:1 in their trimmers and blowers but I will stick to 45 or 50:1 in my stuff.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Most of the better oils could run at 100:1 in certain equipment if everything is perfectly setup, carb tuning, clean filter, low stress and so on. The product isn't something xtraordinary, just shady infomercial type marketing. I have seen the results of 100:1 saber failing, there is zero margin of error. The bigger question is why 100:1 in the first place? It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Which is a shame because it puts a sour taste in my mouth, even though they make very good products.[emoji111]

Most of the better oils could run at 100:1 in certain equipment the is perfectly setup, carb tuning, clean filter, low stress and so on. The product isn't something xtraordinary, just shady infomercial Tech marketing. I have seen the results of 100:1 saber failing, there is zero margin of error. The bigger question is why 100:1 in the first place? It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Which is a shame because it puts a sour taste in my mouth, even though they make very good products.[emoji111]
Plan for failure.........the smart man.

I've been using Saber for a couple of years. The price has come down from $8 for an 8 0unce bottle to $5.25 at the Norby's where I get it. I like the way it smells when the saws or blowers are running. I do use my working saws pretty hard and so far I've only had one issue and that was my fault for tuning a saw too lean with a cheap aftermarket piston. I'll keep using it as long as I am able to find it locally.

By the way, I mix it around 40:1.

Mark

I like Saber. I like HP Ultra.

I think Saber is a better oil. One of the best on the market. I don’t think Saber does that much better at 45-50:1 than HP Ultra to justify going out of my way to buy it.

100:1? Come on. Nobody’s going to do that that has any sense.

Personally I use Optimal cause it burns clean, no issues with it yet..

I used to use exclusivly stihl oils and the amount of carbon stihl oils produced in my saws was crazy. I thought that was just 2 strokes until my buddy made a comment about stihl oils and carbon build up.

Pretty much any saw I pull down thats been run on stihl oil is caked with carbon. I refuse to run stihl oil for that reason alone.

Personally I use Optimal cause it burns clean, no issues with it yet..

I used to use exclusivly stihl oils and the amount of carbon stihl oils produced in my saws was crazy. I thought that was just 2 strokes until my buddy made a comment about stihl oils and carbon build up.

Pretty much any saw I pull down thats been run on stihl oil is caked with carbon. I refuse to run stihl oil for that reason alone.
How often do you tear down to inspect for build up? Months of service, gallons of fuel used, or some other metric?

Reading some of the other oil threads, you’re supposed to tear it down everything time you fill up.

I forgot to say and post picture of they super clean internals from the holy grail oil they use. What they don’t know is they’re way too rich so its washing the piston

How often do you tear down to inspect for build up? Months of service, gallons of fuel used, or some other metric?

I may get flamed for this but here we go.....

I pull my mufflers every so often to take a peak. Nothing scheduled just every so often, I like to see whats going on in my saws.

When I ran stihl oil I noticed dirty carbon.

I seams every time I open up a saw thats been run on stihl oil I notice carbon often lots of carbon..

So I run optimol, have a saw here that was run on stihl oil for a season, top of the piston was dirty and had some carbon.

Switched to optimol this year and had the top end off for a little work. Piston is clean.

I could be wrong but the more I look at saws run on stihl oil the more I think the oil is garbage.

Most of the better oils could run at 100:1 in certain equipment if everything is perfectly setup, carb tuning, clean filter, low stress and so on. The product isn't something xtraordinary, just shady infomercial Tech marketing. I have seen the results of 100:1 saber failing, there is zero margin of error. The bigger question is why 100:1 in the first place? It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Which is a shame because it puts a sour taste in my mouth, even though they make very good products.[emoji111]
A very excellent summary IMO

Latest posts

Back