Any old Mac enthusiasts care to help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNslim72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Rebuilding my first old powersaw for the fun of it.
It’s a Mac 10 10 that just needed a good cleaning, new gaskets , carb rebuild kit.
Gonna change out the sprocket when i do new bar and chain but i need to get the clutch off/out.
I don’t have a removal tool so my question is how to get it out. I mean i know the process, what i want to know is which clutch removal tool to get for this old two shoe clutch.
Will most any tool work.
Im just a home shop tinkerer learning as i go and I’m loving it.
Thanks in advance.

Is that nut holding the clutch on or is that hex shaped part of the clutch , it should come off with a wrench or socket and strongarm, a piece of rope fed through the sparkplug hole into the cylinder works well, make sure the piston is already closing off the top of the exhaust port before stuffing the cord in. I use an impact on clutch and flywheel nuts, no need to block the piston when using an impact, leave the sparkplug in and just let the impact do its thoing.

This was the type of clutch I was envisioning before you posted your picts,
093500479_1.jpg

I
Is that nut holding the clutch on or is that hex shaped part of the clutch , it should come off with a wrench or socket and strongarm, a piece of rope fed through the sparkplug hole into the cylinder works well, make sure the piston is already closing off the top of the exhaust port before stuffing the cord in. I use an impact on clutch and flywheel nuts, no need to block the piston when using an impact, leave the sparkplug in and just let the impact do its thoing.

I got the nut off no problem. Just need to get the clutch loose and out so i can pull the housing and get to the sprocket.
Just didn’t want to go banging at it until i was sure i was right about what i was doing.
Was just wondering if anyone knew of a clutch removal tool that would work on this one.
Maybe one that works on another particular saw clutch.
Again, I’m new at this but a fast learner.
I like learning by doing.

I think the clutches held on with a nut may just slide or pull off once the nut is removed, some have a key as well between the clutch spyder and crank. Can you show a pict of the crank with the nut off.

Gotcha. That’s why i look and ask before i jump, lol.
I’ve spent enough on the cart full of new goodies coming next week.

I know, been down that road on a hundred or so vintage saw rebuilds, stopped worrying about the costs and extras after the first couple of rebuilds.

275D5F1D-8063-4561-ADD2-B908089B315A.jpeg 960729F7-BBC8-4DE1-9119-45AD931E0F8B.jpeg
I know, been down that road on a hundred or so vintage saw rebuilds, stopped worrying about the costs and extras after the first couple of rebuilds.
Ok Obi Wan, how do i get this thing off?
It obviously slides off, so it seems.

LOL,..Try giving it a little prying action from behind the clutch drum, looks like this clutch is not all that tight to the crankshaft. I have many pullers that would pull that clutch but try prying it some first.

LOL,..Try giving it a little prying action from behind the clutch drum, looks like this clutch is not all that tight to the crankshaft. I have many pullers that would pull that clutch but try prying it some first.
Think i have a small puller in the garage.
So nothing else to remove, just pull, got it.
Thanks

Run the nut on flush with the end of the crankcase, support the saw by the clutch, and give it a rap with a hammer. You will have to remove the key before the key before the drum will come off. I like to file or buff the key with some emery cloth when I put the back together to prevent the key from sticking in there for future service.

Mark

P.S. you can use an impact wrench to remove the nut, you can use an impact when you put it back together as well but go lightly, that clutch spider with the keyway is somewhat fragile.

Back