Anyone Recognize this Firewood Rack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baumgrenze

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I inherited this firewood rack from my late neighbor, Mac, in 2004, so it is at least 15 years old. I did a Bing image search for firewood racks and didn't see anything like it. It looks much sturdier than today's bolt together models. Does anyone recognize it? I'd like to know who made and sold it.
It is constructed from black powder coated 1.40" OD 16 gauge steel tubing so it is showing some rust
LS4oQN3
. There are two U shaped ends and two bent bases. It provides a 3" clearance above the feet. The ends are 13" across the outside and rise 30" above the center of the base so they create a 48" x 30" firewood storage space 13" deep. This calculates to ~31% of a cord if no part of the wood does not extends beyond the top of the ends.

FirewoodRack48Wx30H.jpg

I inherited this firewood rack from my late neighbor, Mac, in 2004, so it is at least 15 years old. I did a Bing image search for firewood racks and didn't see anything like it. It looks much sturdier than today's bolt together models. Does anyone recognize it? I'd like to know who made and sold it.
It is constructed from black powder coated 1.40" OD 16 gauge steel tubing so it is showing some rust
LS4oQN3
. There are two U shaped ends and two bent bases. It provides a 3" clearance above the feet. The ends are 13" across the outside and rise 30" above the center of the base so they create a 48" x 30" firewood storage space 13" deep. This calculates to ~31% of a cord if no part of the wood does not extends beyond the top of the ends.

View attachment 732630
No sir, I don't believe that will hold 1/3rd of a cord. Maybe 1/12th.

Thanks for replying, bfrazier.

I see how my calculation falls down since the face area of a cord (4' x 8') 32 sq. ft. on the face of 4' long firewood is 'impractical.' It would take a big fireplace to burn 4' logs. Mine was 30" wide before every holiday became a 'no burn day' and we gave in and installed a gas insert. Before that I typically cut wood to 16-24" lengths. This rack holds 2.5' x 4' or 10 sq. ft. on the face. In my book 10/32 = 0.3125 or 31.25%. If the pieces are cut to 16" length, then yes, it takes three stacks with a face area of 4' x 8' to make a cord and this rack would then hold ~10% of a cord.

baumgrenze

I do remember them, and they were a bit more stout than most of the ones you find today. I've switched to the ones that slide on the end of a 2X4. That way I can do the math for the length wood I split by 4' high and come up with the length of 2X4 I need to get half a cord per rack. I measure all of my wood to exactly 18", so I need a rack 10.66' long. I just get a 12' 2X4 and set the uprights to 11' and call it good.

If you have limited space, or just want to put enough next to the door to last a week or so, they were handy.

Edwin (WoodDoctor) requested an image of the assembled firewood rack.

Yes, there is a clearly evident patch of rust left of center on the near bottom tube. I don't have time to scrape and paint it.

I'm trying to get a sense of its value. We now have a gas insert. Every time we wanted to build a fire in the fireplace we found the day was a 'spare the air day' and we couldn't.

Thanks
baumgrenze

Attachments

• IMG_8472_Sel_SteelLogRack.jpg
    IMG_8472_Sel_SteelLogRack.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 33
This is a small rack that holds about 100 logs. One of my truckloads holds about 350 logs and that's about 2/3 cord.. Firewood racks like these run about $50. These racks work well indoors resting next to wood stoves. One of my favorite bar and grill restaurants uses one. In the winter when the stove is on, the bar does a good business. When the stove is off, the customers all leave. The owner hasn't had enough sense to figure that out.

Latest posts

Back