Anyone using a quarter tip bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently bought a 16 in. quarter tip carving bar for an 025 in the hopes of improving my carving. I also ordered a .050 3/8 LP chain to use for it . I ordered that chain mostly for the proper link count should I need to replace the chain.

The chain that came with the bar was .050 3/8 LP but looked more like the old style chipper style cutter verses the more semi chisel I normally use .

Most of the saws I use to carve are 025 set up with .043 gauge 3/8 pitch with 16 in bars. I like this set-up but cutting sharp curves is limiting hence the quarter tip. I didn't think the 3/8 .050 chain would make a big difference. I have tried my new carving bar and it has been disappointing so far . It cuts rougher and seems to really run hotter than I care to see.

I am not a big fan of 1/4 pitch chain but I can't help but think I might have convert over to 1/4 pitch to get better results using this bar that is if I can find a 1/4 inch pitch sprocket for an 025.

The question is would 1/4 inch work best or can I get good results using regular Stihl picco chain which is a semi chisel that is .050 3/8 pitch so I don't have to hunt down a sprocket for that 025.

What chain is the norm for a quarter tip carving bar ?? I am going to continue using this bar but so far I feel I have made a mistake.

Use the 1/4 in a full chisel, get it razor sharp, you'll like it!
EDIT: Just get the 3/8 .050 lp in a full chisel and you should be good.

And...

...Pick up a ms180 with the quick adjust chain tensioner. buy a dime tip for it too. There are some tricks to sharpening for detail chain to cut smoothly, you'll love this; cut 2/3 of each tooth off and leave the rakers alone. This make a very thin cut, that does not tear up the end grain when carving. Make those full chisel chains as sharp as you can get them!

Have fun!

Thanks, I already have an 023 with that quick adjust set-up with a 12 inch bar with .043 semi chisel chain . I have been thinking of getting another dime tip bar with 1/4 in. chain for this saw . For now I have to work the bugs out of this quarter tip. I just get so tired of dumping money into this carving hobby but it is fun and I do make a little money at it.

Back