Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using a quarter tip bar

Discussion in 'Wood Carving & Turning' started by Ax-man, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Ax-man

Ax-man Addicted to ArboristSite

I recently bought a 16 in. quarter tip carving bar for an 025 in the hopes of improving my carving. I also ordered a .050 3/8 LP chain to use for it . I ordered that chain mostly for the proper link count should I need to replace the chain.

The chain that came with the bar was .050 3/8 LP but looked more like the old style chipper style cutter verses the more semi chisel I normally use .

Most of the saws I use to carve are 025 set up with .043 gauge 3/8 pitch with 16 in bars. I like this set-up but cutting sharp curves is limiting hence the quarter tip. I didn't think the 3/8 .050 chain would make a big difference. I have tried my new carving bar and it has been disappointing so far . It cuts rougher and seems to really run hotter than I care to see.

I am not a big fan of 1/4 pitch chain but I can't help but think I might have convert over to 1/4 pitch to get better results using this bar that is if I can find a 1/4 inch pitch sprocket for an 025.

The question is would 1/4 inch work best or can I get good results using regular Stihl picco chain which is a semi chisel that is .050 3/8 pitch so I don't have to hunt down a sprocket for that 025.

What chain is the norm for a quarter tip carving bar ?? I am going to continue using this bar but so far I feel I have made a mistake.

2. cedar rat

cedar rat ArboristSite Lurker

Use the 1/4 in a full chisel, get it razor sharp, you'll like it!
    EDIT: Just get the 3/8 .050 lp in a full chisel and you should be good.

And...

...Pick up a ms180 with the quick adjust chain tensioner. buy a dime tip for it too. There are some tricks to sharpening for detail chain to cut smoothly, you'll love this; cut 2/3 of each tooth off and leave the rakers alone. This make a very thin cut, that does not tear up the end grain when carving. Make those full chisel chains as sharp as you can get them!

Have fun!

SeMoTony likes this.
  3. Ax-man

Ax-man Addicted to ArboristSite

Thanks, I already have an 023 with that quick adjust set-up with a 12 inch bar with .043 semi chisel chain . I have been thinking of getting another dime tip bar with 1/4 in. chain for this saw . For now I have to work the bugs out of this quarter tip. I just get so tired of dumping money into this carving hobby but it is fun and I do make a little money at it.

SeMoTony likes this.