Appropriate steps to detur firewood thieves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the last three years I've worked diligently to cut, split and stack the aproximately 10 cords of firewood I have along the back of my property. Up until this last weekend it has remained untouched except by me. Sometime saturday evening/sunday about 3 of those gas station bundles worth walked off and I'm 99% sure it's my next door neighbors. (they had an outdoor get together on sunday with a fire in their firepit). I've seen them several times outside since and they havn't fessed up yet. There was one or two splits left over by their firepit and it sure looks familiar. :angry: Now I did'nt see them take it so I'm not going to march over and accuse them of stealing. Also keep in mind that I've given them plenty of wood (delivered to their stacking area) but have stopped because they never let it season and go thru it way too fast. I've never given them permission to take from my stacks.

So my question is what is the appropriate next step(s) to put an end to this?

My first thought is to install a fairly bright security light that will light up the firewood stacking area.... they will hate this because it will also partially light up their firepit/deck/party area and they hate outdoor & street lights and the like.
They will ##### about the light and I will just say I have every right to protect my property from walking off. Of course this will not stop the theft because it is them and they will just wait until they know we are gone.... so the question is what is next? more annoying lighting( motion detecting), cameras??

I read your post earlier this week and after a lot of diligent thought and careful consideration, I think I have a novel approach that will work for you.

Here in the south, copperheads and timber rattlers love to hang around piles of firewood, feasting on the rodents and large insects that make these piles home.

Next time you see your neighbors, tell them that the US Fish and Wildlife Service has instituted a pilot program to see if copperheads will inhabit your part of MN, and that you've signed up for a cooperative program that permits them to use your woodpile as an experimental habitat for these snakes.

When it's convenient, tell them: "Oh, why get all the wood you want, but just watch out for them copperheads". :confused:

End of wood thievery, and costs you nothing except a little sweat when you go to confession........

Last edited:
I sell campfire bundles, and lose a few to thieves every year. I thought
about putting up NRA stickers and a sign that read, if you can read
this you are within range, but instead I put up my game camera(smile
you are on camera...sign).
I also put a new light that shines on the bundles at night, and I leave
a light on in the house so it looks like we are insomniacs.

I think that I will put up a small, inexpensive motion sensor for this summer,
and turn it on at night to keep the honest people honest.

If you are on speaking terms with the neighbors...
I would wander over and tell them someone stole your wood, you don't know who it is, but that you set up your game camera to catch them the next time, and will submit photos to the proper authorities, etc.
This may not help your current loss, but could deter future thefts.

I HAD the same problem on my bundles!
Motion sensor from HFT =300 yards and it's wireless.
8 flood lights when i hear it@ wait about 20 seconds night,the light switch goes on!
I walk out on the deck and say, NEED ANY HELP?,IT SEEMS SOME FOLKS CANT SEE TO COUNT $ AT NIGHT.
( The surprise of having lights shine on your face and cars license # has stopped most thefts.)
Also a fake camera from HFT may help ($22) online order only,(bunker security) on their site,don't install a battery!,thieves know a flashing red light on them is B.S.
I had a real cam to catch someone that was putting $1 and getting 5-6 bundles,always cammed my coffee can $ afterwords.(caught the average time it happened) and waited,waited.
Took out the side wall of his $200 tire with a Husky 41 with a crap chain!
(while he was loading) I told him to call the cops since i have you on cam 3x.
He hasn't been back?
We work darned hard to make $ and and still some don't appreciate our time.
Hey nobody is forcing you to pay 3x for this wood!
Get you a truck,a Puolan and a splitter wait for it to dry bundle it and wait till it gets Stolen?
Mark
P.S. try not to use the swear words and stuff #$@^/.

Last edited:
I think I'll keep the camera system up and running for a while. Last night the system had several recordings showing the spot of a flashlight moving across the wood stack and on the grass- first one at 2am. (they had quite a late night out by their firepit)

I do believe that any man that harms my dogs would be shot on the spot.

hit me, cuss me and spit in my face, but dont touch my dogs or any other family member for that matter.

at least the scum bag dead beat pos is dead now. i hope that tumor gave him headaches 24/7. BOY THAT BURNS ME UP!!!!!

geez tell us how you really feel:buttkick:

I do believe that any man that harms my dogs would be shot on the spot.

hit me, cuss me and spit in my face, but dont touch my dogs or any other family member for that matter.

at least the scum bag dead beat pos is dead now. i hope that tumor gave him headaches 24/7. BOY THAT BURNS ME UP!!!!!

:agree2: It always pisted me off when somebody was mean to animals just for the hell of it.

He also seemed very interested in mowing the alley behind his property now as well. Hmm.. this from someone who could barely finish his entire yard. I think I will talk to to an attorney to make sure I retain use of the alley.

YES, YES and YES! Contact an attorney on the easement issue.

Unless the property is accessed directly off of a county or town maintained road, there is potential for there to be issues or concerns. These can be anything from a non-maintained county road, private easement, private road with no easement, road-of-record, etc. Your land abstract/title (or his) may have information regarding the access.
Unfortunately, these are questions that are best answered by an attorney. Access easements can be only for the use or they may include maintenance rights. It will all depend on the language and how they are interpreted by the attorneys party involved. Don't make the same mistake I did! I learned the hard way, now I'm paying for it, my once "private" easement into one of my properties is now considered an "open access easement," due to my own ignorance.

I'd leave the camera up for a while longer. Saying and doing are two different things. From the sounds of it, what they say during the day isn't what they do at night after a few beers.

I'd contact an atty. that knows land issues in your state. I heard (don't know what state it was in) of a neighbor (say Mr. X) mowing his neighbors grass (say Mr. Y) for "X" numbers of years because Mr. Y let him use part of the property. Mr. X went to court and got ownership of the land that he took care of after a certain number of years...

The moving spot in front of the woodpile has now been correctly ID'd as a bat. Not use to the IR images, and there was no way I could duplicate the image with a flashlight.

I think I'll keep the camera system up and running for a while. Last night the system had several recordings showing the spot of a flashlight moving across the wood stack and on the grass- first one at 2am. (they had quite a late night out by their firepit)

I disagree with your premise, I am not blaming the op for anything. I am asking him to re think how he is handling the situation as they antics of his neighbors seem to have lead him to distraction. With respect to libel - yes I am worried. I am also worried about the OP acknowledging that he is in a state of war with his neighbors. I am worried about someone going before a court or hearing with a real and legitimate complaint only to be told that he did not come before the court with clean hands.

The OP has spent his hard earned money to defend his property- he is installing a fence, lighting and security equipment. If this fails, and the neighbors escalate the conflict- what is he supposed to do hire sentries? Raise a maginot line?

Ultimately he has to reconcile himself that his neighbors are not worth the anger and expense. Once the fence is up he should not let their provocations affect his judgment.

I agree.. Those people are messing with your mind and now your pocket book. It's time to back off, clean off your doorstep and if need be, take it to court. I'd be damned if I'd stoop down the their level. While you're up nights thinking about all this BS, those fools are sleeping and enjoying a good laugh at your expense.

Not much new to report- things have been pretty quiet. Don't think they liked me getting other people involved (police, her brother) but it was necessary since a reasonable direct conversation with them was not possible.
Since then no loud music, parties, wood missing or much of anything. Of course this memorial day weekend will be good test. Fence gets installed this weekend too :D I'm sure we'll never be on good terms with them but as far as I'm concerned these are the type of people I'd rather just ignore and not have any interaction with.

Not much new to report- things have been pretty quiet. Don't think they liked me getting other people involved (police, her brother) but it was necessary since a reasonable direct conversation with them was not possible.
Since then no loud music, parties, wood missing or much of anything. Of course this memorial day weekend will be good test. Fence gets installed this weekend too :D I'm sure we'll never be on good terms with them but as far as I'm concerned these are the type of people I'd rather just ignore and not have any interaction with.

awwww. you should go over there this weekend and have a beer with them. kiss and make up!!:cheers::greenchainsaw:

j/k man!!!!!! dont cuss me to bad:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back