Archer Bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW...what became of your Sachs-Dolmar 285?
I have a rebuilt 116si...that I'm in love with!
Best 60cc saw I've ever ran
The Sachs-Dolmar 285 is R.I.P., melted bar mount area (electric saw, plastic housing).
My little Sachs-Dolmar 105 is on the operation table, piston & cylinder are cleaned up, donor clutch assy and new piston ring ready , just can't find material for a new cylinder base.
Looked for Loctite 418, I can order a 100ml for 50$ - that just seems overpriced.
For the moment my 105 is covered up patiently waiting for further attention. :)

Are you sure that isn't a picco/lo-pro rim?
Shouldn't be, was sold to me as 3/8", although my Sachs-Dolmar 105 3/8" LowProfile chain seems to fit nicely.
I think it is a bad cast, good thing I only got one of these and I don't intend to give Archer a second chance.
Oregon "PowerMate" are my first pick, and Carlton sprockets seem equaly good!

Shouldn't be, was sold to me as 3/8", although my Sachs-Dolmar 105 3/8" LowProfile chain seems to fit nicely.
I think it is a bad cast, good thing I only got one of these and I don't intend to give Archer a second chance.
Oregon "PowerMate" are my first pick, and Carlton sprockets seem equaly good!

LowProfile sounds a lot like lo-pro (same as Picco). Of course an A2 Carlton chain won't fit on that rim, as the lo-pro rim is too large for a regular 3/8" chain - which fits with your picture.

The reason is the lower chassis of the lo-pro chain, that needs to be compensated by a larger rim, when the pitch is the same (.366", not .375).

LowProfile sounds a lot like lo-pro (same as Picco). Of course an A2 Carlton chain won't fit on that rim, as the lo-pro rim is too large for a regular 3/8" chain - which fits with your picture. The reason is the lower chassis of the lo-pro chain, that needs to be compensated by a larger rim, when the pitch is the same (.366", not .375).

Ich glaube wir reden aneinander vorbei! :confused:

I am out of a night shift and not quite up to speed so please bare with me.

This particular sprocket has been sold/sent to me as a replacement for an ordered Dolmar sprocket part number 119224070 which is standard 7 spline 3/8" 7 tooth sprocket, in my case meant for my PS-6400/PS-7900 saws.
I was not informed that I will receive a replacement part - I was expecting an OEM "PowerMate" sprocket , standard 3/8".
When it arrived it was sealed in a plastic bag with a sticker claiming "Ratioparts 33-200 Ring 3/8" 7Z Standard 7".
The sprocket itself states "Archer 3/8-7".
Nothing indicates that this is supposed to be a 3/8" LoPro/Picco , nor have I ever ordered one.

The fact that this rim sprocket seems to fit my Sachs-Dolmar 105 3/8" LowProfile chain quite snug doesn't mean poop because my 105 features a SPUR SPROCKET - thus this rim is useless to me.
I didn't make a fuss about it back when I received it , I just put it aside ignoring it and used a remaining spare PowerMate rim that I had.

I don't think that this particular sprocket is intentionally "fitting" snug for a 3/8" LoPro , although I wouldn't wonder if Archer (the manufacturer) would start selling them as LowProfile/Picco FOR TWICE THE PRICE once they are made aware of their manufacturing flaw!
Inspecting it thoroughly it looks to me like it is a bad cast with too thick pins/splines that engage the chain preventing the drive links of a standard 3/8" chain to fit between them properly - that's why already the second DL starts riding "on" the pin instead of seating itself between the second and third pin.

Ratioparts Archer rim sprocket.JPG

The whole point of me mentioning my Archer sprocket debacle was just to raise awareness of POSSIBLE but not necessarily guaranteed questionable fitting/compatibility issues.
If I ever encounter "Archer" products again , I will make sure to double and triple check before buying! ;)

I can't seem to find a source in Aus or on eBay that will sell me an archer sprocket.
I'd be very keen to see if the small spline archer sprocket (husky 346, etc) in 3/8 7 pin is also a suitable fit for 3/8lp.
If anyone can put me onto some, or send me something - please send me a pm.

Ich glaube wir reden aneinander vorbei! :confused:

I am out of a night shift and not quite up to speed so please bare with me.

This particular sprocket has been sold/sent to me as a replacement for an ordered Dolmar sprocket part number 119224070 which is standard 7 spline 3/8" 7 tooth sprocket, in my case meant for my PS-6400/PS-7900 saws.
I was not informed that I will receive a replacement part - I was expecting an OEM "PowerMate" sprocket , standard 3/8".
When it arrived it was sealed in a plastic bag with a sticker claiming "Ratioparts 33-200 Ring 3/8" 7Z Standard 7".
The sprocket itself states "Archer 3/8-7".
Nothing indicates that this is supposed to be a 3/8" LoPro/Picco , nor have I ever ordered one.

The fact that this rim sprocket seems to fit my Sachs-Dolmar 105 3/8" LowProfile chain quite snug doesn't mean poop because my 105 features a SPUR SPROCKET - thus this rim is useless to me.
I didn't make a fuss about it back when I received it , I just put it aside ignoring it and used a remaining spare PowerMate rim that I had.

I don't think that this particular sprocket is intentionally "fitting" snug for a 3/8" LoPro , although I wouldn't wonder if Archer (the manufacturer) would start selling them as LowProfile/Picco FOR TWICE THE PRICE once they are made aware of their manufacturing flaw!
Inspecting it thoroughly it looks to me like it is a bad cast with too thick pins/splines that engage the chain preventing the drive links of a standard 3/8" chain to fit between them properly - that's why already the second DL starts riding "on" the pin instead of seating itself between the second and third pin.

View attachment 443691

The whole point of me mentioning my Archer sprocket debacle was just to raise awareness of POSSIBLE but not necessarily guaranteed questionable fitting/compatibility issues.
If I ever encounter "Archer" products again , I will make sure to double and triple check before buying! ;)

"Standard 7" likely is about the spline size (hub size really) it is supposed to fit, but I assume your conclusion is right anyway, with the added info. :)

I can't seem to find a source in Aus or on eBay that will sell me an archer sprocket.
I'd be very keen to see if the small spline archer sprocket (husky 346, etc) in 3/8 7 pin is also a suitable fit for 3/8lp.
If anyone can put me onto some, or send me something - please send me a pm.
I remember You said You contacted Archer Australia regarding rim sprockets, did You ever get a reply from them?
I guess not!

"Standard 7" likely is about the spline size (hub size really) it is supposed to fit, but I assume your conclusion is right anyway, with the added info. :)
The Standard 7 Spline hub fits just fine, it is the teeth that engage the chains drive links that aren't up to specs.

I remember You said You contacted Archer Australia regarding rim sprockets, did You ever get a reply from them?
I guess not!

The Standard 7 Spline hub fits just fine, it is the teeth that engage the chains drive links that aren't up to specs.
Someone from archer will contact me soon..................A month(?) ago

I have a 28” archer bar and 3 chains. The chain is cheap, but honestly not that bad. My preferred is Oregon LPX, however I ordered several archer chains as they were cheap and will serve just fine as spare chains. The bar is the exact same as a “Niche” bar I have in 24” x 3/8 x 0.58 which is on my Husky 372. The bar is a bit heavy and a bit thick on paint but so far it’s been surprisingly good for the price point.

I tried out an Archer 1/4” bar. It binds badly in the cut and can be dangerous to remove. I’m going to sand off the paint and see if that fixes the problem, but right now, it wasn’t worth saving $15.

I just put an Archer bar/chain on my CS-620PW. It was advertised to fit the CS-590/600/620's and 72 DL instead of 70. That's a good deal because all my large mount Husqvarna 20" bars are 72DL.

I've only ran two tanks thru it so far. It's doing fine for the moment, but I have had to tighten the chain 3 times and after the last outing I noticed it's loosened up again. The cutting performance is fine but if it keeps stretching out that may change. I'll make sure to post any problems that I have with it........Cliff

IMG_4958.JPG

I just put an Archer bar/chain on my CS-620PW. It was advertised to fit the CS-590/600/620's and 72 DL instead of 70. That's a good deal because all my large mount Husqvarna 20" bars are 72DL.

I've only ran two tanks thru it so far. It's doing fine for the moment, but I have had to tighten the chain 3 times and after the last outing I noticed it's loosened up again. The cutting performance is fine but if it keeps stretching out that may change. I'll make sure to post any problems that I have with it........Cliff

View attachment 749723
Is it any heavier than a husky 20" bar?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Don't know, I'll weigh it next time I have the saw down for service.

The chain seems to cut OK, but it has also needed to be tightened more than I'm used to for no more run time than I have on it. Hopefully it will "settle" in pretty soon or I'm going to have to replace it........Cliff

Just to follow up on my earlier post:

My 14” x1/4”x.043” Archer bar still binds in the cut after sanding all the paint off. I think the bar just flexes too much for a full 14” cut. But it could be the track is sloppy. It remains to be seen if the Stihl equivalent is as bad. I’ll try it and report back.

The 1/4” Archer chain that came with that bar did require a lot of tightening at first. And it wasn’t very sharp out of the box. It filed up easy though and cut well except for one bent tooth.

It should be cooling off some here in the next few weeks. Going to put the Archer bar thru the paces to see if it makes the grade. I have 70 tops to cut up on the new property, most of it is hard Maple.....Cliff

Worn sprocket would likely be what is stretching your new chain.

The saw has less than one hour run time on it. I typically have to tighten a new chain the first couple of time I use them. I just noticed that this Archer chain is taking longer to "set" and continues to stretch. When the cooler weather gets here it's going to get quite a work out. Hopefully the bar and chain are up to the task.......Cliff

It should be cooling off some here in the next few weeks. Going to put the Archer bar thru the paces to see if it makes the grade. I have 70 tops to cut up on the new property, most of it is hard Maple.....Cliff
Awesome, let us know how it does but most importantly, be safe out there.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Not criticizing, just curious? Resurrected a 4 year old thread about the Archer bars and chains. Why do you buy the cheapest bar and chain for a decent saw? I have saws that my Dad bought in the 70's, that put in 15-20 years of 40 hours a week commercial service, that are perfectly serviceable today. Will any of those Archer bars make it through 15-20 years of commercial service? Will others be looking for them in 50 years? I'd pay extra for a used or NOS bar for my Echo 602, 650, or 750. I understand looking for a deal. I think the steel in bars today is softer than the steel used years ago. My new Stihls show wear and need dressing more often than my old Homelites and Macs. Is it just experimenting to see if a new product can out perform the old, more expensive brands? Just curious?

Back