Are there any left- handed arborists out there???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Poppet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everone! I just started my collection and new found love for chainsaws in May of this year. I can rebuild and restore them all by myself, but don't know how to use them! I'm left -handed and it's very difficult to cut! My husband was showing me how to cut last weekend and I was using a Homelite Timberman, but it was just really awkward! Is there any tips, ideas, resources, and/or anything that my help me out?!? I would very much appreciate any help that I can get! I want to be able to use them as well as fix them! It's like a sick joke being played upon me right now. :(
-Michelle

Hey everone! I just started my collection and new found love for chainsaws in May of this year. I can rebuild and restore them all by myself, but don't know how to use them! I'm left -handed and it's very difficult to cut! My husband was showing me how to cut last weekend and I was using a Homelite Timberman, but it was just really awkward! Is there any tips, ideas, resources, and/or anything that my help me out?!? I would very much appreciate any help that I can get! I want to be able to use them as well as fix them! It's like a sick joke being played upon me right now. :(
-Michelle

I am left handed too. It just take a time to get used to it.
You could find some of the old lefty saws, like these.:biggrin:

Titan model 30.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Lancaster model 400 super.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Porter Cable model 529
attachment.php

Titan model 30.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Porter Cable model 529
attachment.php

Very nice saws!!! I've been watchin' a Lancaster on Ebay right now, but it's gonna go for more than I can afford right now. Do you know what models are out there that are left-handed? I've done some research, but nothing "technically" says that they're left-handed saws, so it's difficult to look at each and every saw to see if it's left-handed! I will look up the saws you have pics of! Thanks a bunch!!!

-Michelle

Try "ARE there" for English-speaking audience, eh. :jester:

For basic safety (being able to stay out of the plane of the chain) you run a righty saw as a righty, period.
Of course, lefty-lefty for the few of them.

It's mainly about keeping out of the firing line in case of kickback. It shouldn't take much to become ambidextrous.

Titan model 30.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Porter Cable model 529
attachment.php

Hey, I just thought about all of our saws and the only one that would work for both is my husband's Clinton Chief. The only downfall is that it weights like a bah-gillion pounds!!!! I would have better luck throwing the saw into the general direction of the wood and seeing if it cut it by impact!!! HeHe!!!

I'm left handed but I never gave it a thought that most chainsaws are right handed? I just use them

Being left handed, I find top handle saws the worst to use if one uses the throttle handle with the left hand. That's why I buy rear handle saws. Another down side of using the saw on the left side of the body is exhaust heat and gasses cooking your leg and stinking up your clothing. I've tried using the saw with the right hand on the throttle and it just doesn't feel right (read safe).

everyone is right handed. Just that some of US over came that issue:p

I have never seen it as an issue with my top handle saw.
Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back