Are you kidding me ??? Definately what NOT to do !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said it looked like he was filing sideways at a 90 degree angle to the chain.

It sure does. I think he was simply illustrating filing inside out during his speech, but I have no good explanation for the clip at the end. As you all noted there is no way his cutters could continue to look like the chain shown if he kept that up.

Ron

And the hands on the chain with the saw running...honestly, I hope it's a joke.

It's no joke. I wish it was. He probably thinks that those gloves will save him if the chain starts running. I don't think I'd gamble on that.

We had a knot bumper reach across the top of a running saw with his left hand to clear a branch that was ticking the top of the bar. The saw dropped, hit the log, and kicked back up into his hand and wrist. Our biggest problem was keeping him from bleeding out before the med-evac chopper got there.
He lost the hand.

" . . . probably stupid the sh*t we do . . . we think we know what we're doing . . . probably don't . . ."

These videos reinforce a perspective I have tried to share several times regarding safety. Just because someone didn't get hurt does not mean that they have been working safely. They might just have been lucky - so far. Working 'safe' means that you understand the risks, and potential outcomes, and intentionally/consciously do things in a way so that if one of the undesirable events do occur, you minimize the chance that someone gets hurt. Very different from the 'sh*t happens and there is nothing you can do about it' attitude.

He has no control of that tree - not even a line on it, and probably nowhere to run if a wind comes up.

Some of the stuff in the chain filing video is just wrong (despite the title). He clearly says to file across the face of the chain at 90 degrees. Also tells viewers to file depth gauges flat across. As noted, confused how his chains still cut - might be why he needs to use a large powerhead.

Philbert

" . . . probably stupid the sh*t we do . . . we think we know what we're doing . . . probably don't . . ."

These videos reinforce a perspective I have tried to share several times regarding safety. Just because someone didn't get hurt does not mean that they have been working safely. They might just have been lucky - so far. Working 'safe' means that you understand the risks, and potential outcomes, and intentionally/consciously do things in a way so that if one of the undesirable events do occur, you minimize the chance that someone gets hurt. Very different from the 'sh*t happens and there is nothing you can do about it' attitude.

Some of the stuff in the chain filing video is just wrong (despite the title). He clearly says to file across the face of the chain at 90 degrees. Also tells viewers to file depth gauges flat across. As noted, confused how his chains still cut - might be why he needs to use a large powerhead.

Philbert

Can I multi like this post?

Philbert, I agree completely with your safety comments.

Maybe I am trying too hard to make sense out of the sharpening video and am re-scripting it but I thought the 90* was in reference to keeping the file flat. I took his depth gauge filing to be in keeping with his falling techniques - it will work but it isn't the best. My head hurts - who knows how the guy actually sharpens a chain.

Ron

For clarity: He doesn't actually say 90* anywhere but his filing is shown flat and straight across.

He has no control of that tree - not even a line on it, and probably nowhere to run if a wind comes up.

Philbert
People are often not good at comprehending the cumulative probability of low probability events. In other words, if there is a low likelihood event that would have a catastrophic result should it occur, but you do it over and over, your odds of experiencing that catastrophic result may be pretty high. It just doesn't seem like it because on any given try the odds are low.

He doesn't actually say 90* anywhere but his filing is shown flat and straight across.

He shows this at 1:00; and shows it again, and describes it as 'straight across', at 1:12.

I believe that his '45 degree' comments are trying to describe the top plate cutting bevel angle - what we normally describe via file height (1/5 diameter - Oregon, or 1/10 diameter - STIHL), but he describes it as cutting pressure. He makes no comments on the top plate angle (typically 25° to 35°), and his actions show him filing at 90°. His file does not touch most of the top plate cutting edge, and he is getting a flat side plate cutting edge with that file angle.

People are often not good at comprehending the cumulative probability of low probability events. In other words, if there is a low likelihood event that would have a catastrophic result should it occur, but you do it over and over, your odds of experiencing that catastrophic result may be pretty high. It just doesn't seem like it because on any given try the odds are low.

Granted. The problem is, due to the nature of probability, the low likelihood, catastrophic event could occur the very first time. A lot of the details about hinges, and avoiding 'dutchmen', etc., seem tedious, and unnecessary, until you realize where they come from and why they were developed. Same with a lot of safety things - if you knew in advance . . .

Philbert

Philbert, I am not trying to argue. You have probably forgotten more about chain sharpening than I know. I am just trying to fill in the blanks in favor of Mr. Keller. Clearly he can't maintain a proper top plate angle filing "straight across" and maybe in fact he doesn't. As I said this video makes my head hurt. Ron

Philbert, I agree completely with your safety comments.

Maybe I am trying too hard to make sense out of the sharpening video and am re-scripting it but I thought the 90* was in reference to keeping the file flat. I took his depth gauge filing to be in keeping with his falling techniques - it will work but it isn't the best. My head hurts - who knows how the guy actually sharpens a chain.

Ron

For clarity: He doesn't actually say 90* anywhere but his filing is shown flat and straight across.
Maybe he left out that he was sharpening chain for milling lol

Why was it worth so much?
upload_2015-2-24_20-59-14.jpeg upload_2015-2-24_21-0-24.jpeg upload_2015-2-24_21-0-50.jpeg
images

Theese are Turkish walnut used for guns stocks , need to pay over of 2000 euros for a piece 60 cm x 20 cm x 6 cm . some woods are like diamonds

Latest posts

Back