Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked this one up today. I screwed up. Was at an auction and the auctioneer said everything on the table, high bid has choice. There was a rotating angle vise on the table too. I had high bid at $22.50 and took the hatchet. Nobody else wanted the hatchet, they wanted the vise. I should have taken the vise and then the hatchet probably would have gone for $5. Anyway, I'm happy, True Temper Hewing Hatchet, single bevel, original handle, never sharpened, no dings on the poll, Joe.
TXDTEJE.jpg

Picked this one up today. I screwed up. Was at an auction and the auctioneer said everything on the table, high bid has choice. There was a rotating angle vise on the table too. I had high bid at $22.50 and took the hatchet. Nobody else wanted the hatchet, they wanted the vise. I should have taken the vise and then the hatchet probably would have gone for $5. Anyway, I'm happy, True Temper Hewing Hatchet, single bevel, original handle, never sharpened, no dings on the poll, Joe.
TXDTEJE.jpg
I've been working on one like this. Funny, I thought this head predated true temper.

All done, the rusty old Plumb that I polished, then Browned and then stuck on a piece of fire wood is hung. Yesterday I tried to cut the slot for the wedge with the table saw and screwed it up. Lucky I was only taking about a half inch deep pass. I had to cut it off and move the head down. Then I cut the slot with the band saw and it worked OK. I had the fit in the eye perfect, tight, front to back. After I buggered it up, it was lose in the front. So, I tried to notch the Black Walnut wedge to take up the slack. It's close. I'm happy with my first attempt at making a handle, Joe.
v3KVits.jpg

v3KVits.jpg

v3KVits.jpg

The Hatchet is plenty sharp, and it will chop. But, the head is too heavy for one handed chopping, and the haft is not real comfortable for two handed use. After 15-20 rather rapid swings, I was panting. It will take small limbs off with the greatest of ease. Just a modest swing and they are gone like a breath. It's quite nice for throwing. As I thinned the haft the natural grip went from being most comfortable in the middle, too very comfortable with your pinky around the knob on the end. At 15 feet every throw stuck, but every throw stuck at an angle. All of the grinding I did I'm sure the head is far from balanced. It was a lot of fun turning a chunk of rust and a piece of firewood into a family heirloom. Not planning on making any more handles from scratch for a while.

Is it possible that hung that head on a true temper handle?
No, the head is stamped "True Temper TB2". I didn't notice at first, but if you look in the pic you can see it. I've done a quick search trying to find when they started using that style True Temper logo, but haven't found anything yet. I've always liked old axes, but I know very little about them as far as history and brand buy outs, name changes and such. But, I'm learnin.

No, the head is stamped "True Temper TB2". I didn't notice at first, but if you look in the pic you can see it. I've done a quick search trying to find when they started using that style True Temper logo, but haven't found anything yet. I've always liked old axes, but I know very little about them as far as history and brand buy outs, name changes and such. But, I'm learnin.
I'm fascinated with all the antique tools, especially axes, knives, saws, and Kant hooks. Mine doesn't say true temper. But I do have a double bit that says "temp-r-ite" that I know nothing about. The guys on here are VERY knowledgeable and taking in as much as I can as often as I can.

Back