Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clarence, thanks. That cruiser you restored turned out so nice, I gave it to my wife for Valentines day, and she loved it. The 18K and Sapphire necklace may have helped, but since this is an ax thread, I didn't take a pic of the necklace, Joe.
Cj2Lg1I.jpg

Glad you like it, Joe! It was a fun project that I enjoyed, and to see the look on your face was priceless. Good on you for keeping that fine tool around, and I'm glad to have been able to lovingly restore and breathe some new life back into it. Enjoy and I hope it serves you well!

Getting to the "Rust Browning " of the Plumb that I polished. Sorry, I forgot to take pics till I was almost done. I just put the 5th coat on and I think one more will do it. I have to clean and degrease it, then heat the head to 275 degrees, or when water will sizzle. Then coat the metal well with the "Browning Solution", let it sit till cool. Rinse, degrease, and start over. Each coat gets a little darker. When finished it gets coated with a rust inhibitor, Joe.
4FGW0YZ.jpg

AjGJfYM.jpg

dT2ZOI2.jpg

That was because I flipped it with each coat so I would get the bottom done evenly without dripping stuff in my eyes. A couple picks up it's on correct. That's actually a sacrificial handle for using the torch. I was planning on trying my hand at making an Ash haft from scratch, with octagonal grip. My friend that owns the Gunshack is an accomplished wood worker and stock maker. He said if I could find some Dogwood to try it. He said it's flexible and strong. He used it for wooden mallet handles. I just cut up a big Dogwood into turning blanks for my BIL. What do you think of the Dogwood for a short throwing handle? It wouldn't get much striking force.

Too late Steve. I came in a few minutes ago for lunch. Had to run out and close the garage, had a layer of snow on my table saw and ax handle. It was bright sunshine and shirt sleeve comfortable when I came in. Now it's white out and I can't see my neighbors house, Joe.

Back