Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some before pictures of the other head. It says PLUMB. Michigan pattern?

Attachments

• IMG_3892.JPG
    IMG_3892.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3893.JPG
    IMG_3893.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3894.JPG
    IMG_3894.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3895.JPG
    IMG_3895.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    465.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3899.JPG
    IMG_3899.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
1E2EEC94-9E3C-4CE8-986A-F46A7A1D7D6C.jpeg 0C68313A-10AF-4946-AD96-EA0685A53CBF.jpeg AD6065A6-F6C6-4378-BA51-6513EC2817DB.jpeg
I drive that small wedge in the front of the axe handle where I still had a little eye showing. This is a truper brand handle. I have the same handle in an 8 pound maul. It’s held up well.

You can see the splintered broken links handle in the last picture laying in the floor.

Jake ,if you shave some wood off the sides of the handle ,the head will go down further and the gap in the front may go away ,i just did one ,the handle was about an inch or so above the head when i was done fitting it ,i just cut it off after .

Jake ,if you shave some wood off the sides of the handle ,the head will go down further and the gap in the front may go away ,i just did one ,the handle was about an inch or so above the head when i was done fitting it ,i just cut it off after .
Yessir. On a different site I have these posted. I just got tired of whittling. It was quite an effort to get that far. It woulda took a good bit more effort so I finally just pinned it down. I figure if it ever loosens up. I’ll go down further then.

Does anybody do a "wet sand" after the handle has been rubbed with BLO? I remember someone recommended that to me back during my first handle restoration on that big 6# True Temper I did a couple of years ago. I never tried it but wasn't sure if that would make the handle gummy or if the residue would rub off...

Does anybody do a "wet sand" after the handle has been rubbed with BLO? I remember someone recommended that to me back during my first handle restoration on that big 6# True Temper I did a couple of years ago. I never tried it but wasn't sure if that would make the handle gummy or if the residue would rub off...

Never heard of doing that, but often in between coats (after it's dry) I'll buff with some extra fine steel wool.

View attachment 632973 View attachment 632974 View attachment 632975
Here it is with the remains of the old handle out.

I see I put up a couple pictures of a beat-up brick hammer. I think I can make it into a pickaroon. How long of a handle should I put on it?
I think 30" would be good. Unless, you prefer one shorter. See this link for various sizes. Scroll down towards bottom of page for pickaroon handles. http://www.peaveymfg.com/products-logging-tools-pickeroons

After dinner with my wife tonight I retired to the shop to grind some more on the no-name Michigan head for my Faller's Axe project. Smoothed out the grinds with a 60 grit flap disk on the angle grinder, the followed up with coarse grit pads on the pneumatic die grinder. After that, cleaned up and applied some Birchwood Casey Super Blue, then trued the edge and filed the chips out.

GcsoIua.jpg

EsIotMA.jpg

ahoGFxy.jpg

Latest posts

Back