Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant cutting the inside surface of the steel pin flush with inside of eye, not notching the wood. Pin may have been intended like a retainer used on hookaroon. Doesn’t matter now, it will turn out fine anyway. Pics of your work are really nice.

View attachment 631535 View attachment 631536 Here pictures of the axe head and handle I was asking about if this can be successfully hung, or will it always have too much give and be working loose?

Like Kevin j says, I have learned that there is a lot to learn about these things that I didn't even know that I didn't know.

I know you have some time invested in that but I'd save that handle for another head and find a handle with a bigger eye for a better fit .

Dancan, thanks. That is what I was wondering about. It was looking doubtful that it would want to stay on. I haven't been seeing anything much else around that looks like it will fit any better. I need to at least take measurements when I go looking.

Like I say, I have two of these Jersey heads, the fit is the same. I have another head of a different pattern that I need to see if it will fit this handle better.

View attachment 631535 View attachment 631536 Here pictures of the axe head and handle I was asking about if this can be successfully hung, or will it always have too much give and be working loose?

Like Kevin j says, I have learned that there is a lot to learn about these things that I didn't even know that I didn't know.

For some reason, Jersey patterns tend to have an elongated eye, I feel your pain. Jersey's are one of my favorite axe patterns. Personally, I would not hang that head on that handle, at least so long as you intend to actually use it. The last Jersey I hung also had an elongated eye, but I found that House Handle Co. turns their hafts for single bits that will fit that. I would take some measurements on the bottom of the head and compare with what you find for handle eye size. The eye measurement of 13/16 x 2 7/16 worked for my recent True Temper Kelley Perfect below:

97L0ZQv.jpg

oZf2MH4.jpg

fhwdj5z.jpg

Multifaceted said,

"If you look back in the history books or old logging photos during the time when the axe was used as a primary tool, you would notice how thin and slender the axe handles were."

This got me to thinking; I grew up in the vicinity of a town that was known as a lumber capital back in its day, mid to late 1800s, Clinton, Iowa. My parents, for the last maybe 20 years, one of their pastimes was to go to estate sales, and at the end, make an offer on what was left. They bought bunches of stuff that way, we have outbuildings full of this stuff to deal with now, but among all of that there are probably two dozen or so axes. Some of them may date back a while. I have only noticed that some show quite a lot of wear.

It seems that they could have gotten more in that amount of time. I have acquired 10 or so at garage sales around here in less time. I got four or five at one sale. I don't remember if these two Jersey heads were gotten with handles on them or just as heads. I mentioned somewhere that I had sent three axes with my son when he returned to St. Petersburg after Hurricane Irma; he brought them all back when he came up for Christmas. They weren't needed.

For some reason, Jersey patterns tend to have an elongated eye, I feel your pain. Jersey's are one of my favorite axe patterns. Personally, I would not hang that head on that handle, at least so long as you intend to actually use it. The last Jersey I hung also had an elongated eye, but I found that House Handle Co. turns their hafts for single bits that will fit that. I would take some measurements on the bottom of the head and compare with what you find for handle eye size. The eye measurement of 13/16 x 2 7/16 worked for my recent True Temper Kelley Perfect below:

97L0ZQv.jpg

oZf2MH4.jpg

fhwdj5z.jpg
I am in awe of picture #2. That fit is perfect.

I'm almost ready to hang my little Plumb and Craftsman, what do you think about a laminated haft? Ash in the middle with Oak or Black Walnut on the out side. I saw some work a fellow out west is doing. He's polishing old family axes making heirloom wall hangers out of them. He's using some beautiful exotic woods on them, but I don't know haw safe they would be? I asked him to check us out, so he may be by, Joe.

Without putting it through the test, I can't say anything about it, but I don't think I'd use one for utility, perhaps a decorative piece.

For striking handles, particular axes, flexibilty and elasticity are paramount. If strength was most important then why isn't oak the standard for handles? That's why woods like hickory and ash are used, they have a balance of strength and elasticity. I would think that laminating the wood with flexible woods like, say ash and red gum - would be the way to go if a laminated handle is desired.

Hello,

New here and a friend from another site said I should re-post this here. I've devoted the past year to learning axe and hatchet restoration using hardwoods once headed to the landfill. My first love is heirloom and display pieces, but I make utility and semi-utility axes, too. I'm trying to grow to a part-time gig when I retire in a few years.

Cheers,

Jeff

This is a Blood Axe Co. on 'smoked' acacia:

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1432.jpg

Latest posts

Back