Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i forgot to say, i also started hanging the head @dancan sent me. slow i know...very slow! in my defence i want to try etching/blacking it with oak chips since i like how my maul and fiskars has blackened as ive split oak a lot recently, i just need to do some bucking and gather the chips. anyway....just found this though from buckin'

that is it! Mrs Buckin's hatchet is it! notice how much epoxy? and no kerf/wedge? takealook at about 4:15 how bad the fit is front and back (he comments on it later) thats because the eye constricts and expands. that is why i spent a while filing the eye straight. my fit wont need extra bits of wood like Buckin's,ha ha!

That third pic looks nice and the edge is looking really nice. Good work.

Spent half hour or more with the file and the TrueTemper. Tidied 2 or 3 minor dinks, took the worst of the mushrooming off, well....the sharp edges that were forming, and got a half decent edge back. If the makers mark wasn't at the poll I'd take more off (and on the grinder, it is fairly well deformed!) but I don't want to lose the mark so this is where I'm stopping on the poll. Quite pleased with the cutting edge, that came back quite quickly. If you look closely on the before photo it has several major dings/chips but they mostly came out. The toe and heel both have a bit of remaining damage though...think i'll leave it....getting them out would require a lot of material to be removed. The edge will get a final tickle once the head is hung, but its not far off.

View attachment 647476 View attachment 647477 View attachment 647478
Oops, I quoted the wrong picture. So, I repeat, good work.

@rarefish383 @dancan
I had an unexpected delivery yesterday. What's this? i thought as i took the box. Feels heavy. Look at the packaging...international....description says 'Old axe head' ??? I tore it open to find this beauty and am dumbstruck by the wonderful act of kindness by someone I've never met!!

View attachment 647169

A True Temper Jersey weighing in at 3lb 10Oz. Its AWESOME, and Joe is even more AWESOME!! thank you very much indeed! Seems Dan was complicit, passing on my address. what a wonderful surprise!

I'm trying to decide ow to restore it, I'm thinking a 32" hickory handle. My source of really quality hafts is showing out of stock on straight ones at that length so that may have made the curved/straight choice for me. the head has been beaten on the poll which is a bit flared, i don't want to remove the True Temper marking so I wont remove all the flare but will tidy it as much as I can. Given that it will therefore always look used I won't over do the resto...quite like the beaten look I think....so although i briefly considered painting it again I think I'll just do the mild poll tidy, tidy a couple of other very small dings, sharpen it and get it hung.....i think!
WOW. That's so awesome Joe.
Nice project and a real cool axe.
We are a bunch of nice guys here that's for sure.
I just wish we all lived close enough to talk wood, tools, times and hoist a beer together on weekends.

Okay while watching the kids in the garden and sunshine (watching through the workshop window) I managed a bit more filing with the bastard file and have got the other wonderful project, the Scandi hatchet/small camping axe that Dan sent me, ready to hang. This one is identical to the one Buckin' rehangs for his wife in that vid I posted a few days ago

I can't remember if I ever posted this, so, here is the head and the remnants of the handle. The thickness of epoxy is clear, and gives a good idea of just how much the eye in the head constricted and expanded, and the taper on the handle to fit through the constriction! No chance of wedging a handle and getting a good fit without packng around it (as Buckin' found)
IMG_20180116_152553.jpg
IMG_20180116_152540.jpg

Well I spent an age with the files....the head steel is hard! its fairly hard back at the eye although my files did cut there (unlike the blade where I needed to borrow some much better quality files from my dad) but it was slow going. I finally got the eye fairly straight, good enough i think to wedge. I concentrated on removing the constriction from the front and rear of the eye, assuming the wedge will expand the haft sideways and take up the gap side to side ok (fingers crossed). So after some work on the Smedberg quality Hickory stick....
IMG_20180421_155959.jpg

It not wedged yet but the fit is tight so I could swing it about and get a feel for it. I like it, happy with the chocie of handle which is 500mm or 19 3/4"

Got a nice shoulder formed that it seats to and a fair fit all round....not perfect, there are a couple of gaps but they aren't big.
IMG_20180421_160011.jpg
IMG_20180421_160028.jpg

I'm not sure if the eye is slightly off-centre or the handle a bit off....think it must be the eye. I worked slowly, fitting, checking for gaps and tight spots, rasping and refitting, checking for a well aligned head and so on. I took a fair bit more off one side of the handle than the other as you can see from the off centre fit
IMG_20180421_160045.jpg

but doing that I managed to get the blade almost straight/aligned (it started off twisted well over to the right as you looked toward the bottom of the handle, now...only slightly off)
IMG_20180421_160152.jpg
and here is the fit at the top. The remaining constriction means there is some gap, but hopefully the wedges will take that out.
IMG_20180421_160111.jpg

As you can see the kerf is closed up. I suspect when i knock the head off I'll see tight spot marks that equate to about half way through the eye where the constriction was and slightly remains. I'm hoping if I take a little more out just there the kerf will open a little. I guess i need a bit of gap to drive the wedge into! I'll then wipe BLO over the bit of handle to go inside the head, whack the head on and pound a wooden wedge in with a smear of PVA glue, then after trimming I'll drive one or maybe 2 small metal wedges cross ways too. That needs to wait though....I want to etch/blacken the head first. I plan to leave it in a tea and oak chip stew for a week and hope!

You have a bit more work to do Neil , get the head down another 1/2" and it'll be a better fit at the top .
you think? handle is currently flush to the top at the front, just poking above the eye at the back. I could drop it lower for sure, and may do that now you've suggested...hmm, yes maybe

you think? handle is currently flush to the top at the front, just poking above the eye at the back. I could drop it lower for sure, and may do that now you've suggested...hmm, yes maybe

I'm pretty sure , just remember to work the bottom side of the axe head and make sure you get the handle tapered back so it's a nice tapered fit and no abrupt transition where the handle meets the head .
Yes , working with dry hickory sucks , a cheap belt sander and 40 grit is your friend lol
I'm glad there was epoxy in there , that , the metric weight and the hint of blue paint makes me pretty sure it's a Scandi .
Enjoy !

Agreed! its a slow process! Thanks for the reminder, yes I need to smooth the transition more.

So long as I get it hung right then it'll be a lovely little axe mate, and I am gong to enjoy it very VERY much, thank you!
Nice work Neil. Take your time.
Will you use epoxy after to seal the top gaps and wedges or not bother? None of mine have epoxy.
I have a little axe similar for my Fireside Buddy axe for splitting kindling. It stays near my woodstove.

I hope not to need epoxy or any filler bits of wood. I've now got it down another 1/2" and can tell the constriction inside the eye wasn't completely removed but I hope the wedges will hold it tight.
After knocking the head off again and marking a line I filed off the wood to largely match what i had already removed and whcked the head on again and....it wouldn't go any further hmm. knocked it off and used a straight edge all around the shaped end of the haft and it showed virtually no high spots, odd. Then had an idea and cut the kerf half inch deeper and tried again. One, two smacks and the head slid on the extra half inch. On looking I had a small gap around much of the bottom of the eye despite the head being
pretty darn tight. Its tight in the constriction and i'd taken a teeny bit too much off lower down leaving a small gap. Similarly there is an unavoidable gap at the top of the eye. Anyway I knocked the head off, smoothed the transition, sanded it smooth and here is how the handle looks
IMG_20180422_134515.jpg
IMG_20180422_134528.jpg
IMG_20180422_134550.jpg

i then smacked the head on and gave it one extra hard whack taking it 1/8" lower

IMG_20180422_135034.jpg
IMG_20180422_135044.jpg
As you can see it now looks very snug all around the base o the eye, and I have curl round a good bit, yay! however I know there is a small void all around just a bit up from the bottom.
The top looks like this
IMG_20180422_135104.jpg
Hmm, poor photo, its not quite as good as that looks, the gap is the same as before i jumped the head on further.
Anyway, Its pretty striaght
IMG_20180422_135142.jpg
IMG_20180422_135206.jpg

I'll think on it some more but as I've typed this I've had a thought....I may put a smear of epoxy around the haft, on the bit that would disappear into the bottom of the eye, before I give it the last whacks into the head, and similarly i may then try and smear some epoxy into the gap around the top before I then drive the wedge in, although I'm fairly confident given how it looks at the bottom of the eye and that the wedge will expand the haft at the top, that it'll be a very secure fit....well....hopeful at least! So, for now the head is knocked off again (that large lump of white plastic in the last photo is very handy for driving handles in, and knocking heads off), the top of the haft will get a good wipe or 3 with BLO, in fact the whole haft will, and as soon as I get some chainsaw time and make some oak chips I'll get the head in a bit of oak chip broth and hopefully turn the slight surface rust to a nice black coating. Until then this project is done. I'll be back on the Jersey soon if I get time between watching over the 8 month old and the 2.5 year old girls I have keeping me busy!

Looks great. Fantastic work actually.
I don't think I would bother with any epoxy either.
You put a lot of time and effort into that fitment.
Make sure it gets treated good and used for the most honest trade of keeping your Family warm and cozy.
Post more pics when it's finished.

I did see that on an ax at a sale, there were 3 auctioneers going at the same time, so I missed the ax. I think the one I saw was on a single bit.
Go figure, I can't remember what I did with it. But I got this little Swedish hatchet on a garage sale Saturday

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back