Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok gents, What are your views of these 2 handles? They arrived today, both 32" Smedberg hickory, one to hang the lovely TrueTemper Kelly Joe sent me, the other for my brother to replace the broken handle on his splitting axe.

IMG_20180430_224712.jpg IMG_20180430_224730.jpg

grain orientation is great in both and neither rn out much (right hand one seems to run out a teenie bit, and then run back in, as if the tree grew bent a wee bit). However the colour difference is marked, if one handle had portions of the 2 colours I'd be sure i had heart wood/sap wood. Also looking at the top of the right hand haft the grain seems to curve a bit suggesting it ws near the centre of the tree, and lastly the right hand one is noticeably heavier. Am I mistaken? maybe the right hand one is heavier because its grain i tighter and its actually the better handle, but I'm a little worried the right handle is 100% heart wood. Anyone care to ease my worries or confirm i need to send one back?

So these were really dry and had some mildew on them as well. I scrubbed them down with water and a scrub brush and they look good (or like leather anyhow). After they dry I’ll apply mink oil as I found two tubs in the cupboard. That stuff lasts a long time as my dad bought it and he’s been gone for 18 years.

E84AFE72-1ECB-4C3D-8772-FBFFF392A3DB.jpeg

I agree Dan, the darker one is more character full. I remembered these handles are treated with hot blo and then wax so that can change the colour of some pieces, hopefully it's that and not heart wood. These are supposedly high quality handles so I'd bloomin' hope it's not heart wood.
Think they do need a little shave as they are a bit fat. Hope the cheap spoke shave I bought works ok and doesn't dig in.

Rubber still needs treatment, like any synthetic, UV light will fade the dyes and, along with time, remove the modifiers from the plastic making it hard and brittle. I use autoglym bumper care on my cars rubber seals, gummipfledge (not sure on the spelling) is always well thought of by car detailers...
Never heard them use mink oil ;)

Rubber still needs treatment, like any synthetic, UV light will fade the dyes and, along with time, remove the modifiers from the plastic making it hard and brittle. I use autoglym bumper care on my cars rubber seals, gummipfledge (not sure on the spelling) is always well thought of by car detailers...
Never heard them use mink oil ;)
I've used mink oil a few times(very few).I'm not all that impressed.I don't think it hurts anything but it doesn't help all that much either.I've found the best oil to revive beat up leather is neatsfoot oil.It won't water proof leather but about the only thing that will is a grease like snow proof or boot dressing and it's only temporary.

I have the first coat of mink oil on the sheaths. That leather was real dry so I’d expect it will take a few coats.

My dad used mink oil religiously on his boots. In the age of Gore-Tex I’ve found that the high tech membranes will fail long before leather boots will wear out so I just buy a new pair of boots every few years.

Lol some Armer All and your all set.:D

Test the ArmorAll first. It can make things slippery.
Used it on a motorcycle seat long ago. Looked gorgeous, restored color, etc. First time I got on it I about slid off the other side. NO friction and connection for control of body english. I can’t remember how I got it off, took many different products until something worked. I guess that is a testatment to its durability though.

Test the ArmorAll first. It can make things slippery.
Used it on a motorcycle seat long ago. Looked gorgeous, restored color, etc. First time I got on it I about slid off the other side. NO friction and connection for control of body english. I can’t remember how I got it off, took many different products until something worked. I guess that is a testatment to its durability though.
I did the same with ArmorAll on my motorcycle seat and same thing.
Just about fell off for a bit until it weared away....lol.

About a year ago I bought a handle based on eye dimensions without paying attention to the head size. This boys axe is ridiculously out of balance on a hatchet handle so I’ll rehang it right on a regular boys axe handle this week.

Attachments

• C383D104-F7C6-4931-BF7F-45CB97D5D87A.jpeg
    C383D104-F7C6-4931-BF7F-45CB97D5D87A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back