Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped by the local fleet supply and they significantly reduced their stock of replacement handles. For axes they now only stock standard eye and DBA, 36” handles. Nothing for boys axes or hatchets.

having finally got the saw out for the first time in 6 months (yes, i know, i@m in danger of having to forfeit my scroungers card again!) I got to do this.
IMG_20180506_142335.jpg

Bit of an experiment this. One bucket of lovely smelling English oak chips/noodles, 2 axe heads (buried), added some water to dampen and its now stored away....we will see what has happened in a week. I'm hoping for a nice blackening from the tannic acids, but who knows.

I found a hatchet head in a drawer out in the garage last week along with a shingling hatchet with a messed up handle and 15 nails in the eye. I ordered some handles from House Handles that showed up friday and spent the weekend working on them. About 2 days were spent thinning the hatchet handle, the head only had a little mushrooming to take down. Yesterday I cut out some wedges and this is what I managed.
20180423_161226.jpg

Today I finished up the shingling hatchet I got an octogonal handle for, just to try one out. This one I think the handle is tilted a bit forward on the handle and I had to put it way down on the shoulder to get the head to cover the kerf but I got it finished.
20180424_150012.jpg

That shingling Hatchet, (or Carpenter’s Axe as Vaughn & Estwing Call Them), Sure is Nice.

Sharpening ax heads/adzes, etc usually involves massive amounts of red liquid pouring from the stubs of what were once upon a time my fingers. If anyone would like a lesson or three in what not to do to sharpen anything, I'm very reasonably priced and The world's leading expert.

Latest posts

Back