Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dancan

dancan

Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !
. AS Supporting Member.
LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
having finally got the saw out for the first time in 6 months (yes, i know, i@m in danger of having to forfeit my scroungers card again!) I got to do this.
IMG_20180506_142335.jpg

Bit of an experiment this. One bucket of lovely smelling English oak chips/noodles, 2 axe heads (buried), added some water to dampen and its now stored away....we will see what has happened in a week. I'm hoping for a nice blackening from the tannic acids, but who knows.

hseII

hseII

Addicted to ArboristSite
I found a hatchet head in a drawer out in the garage last week along with a shingling hatchet with a messed up handle and 15 nails in the eye. I ordered some handles from House Handles that showed up friday and spent the weekend working on them. About 2 days were spent thinning the hatchet handle, the head only had a little mushrooming to take down. Yesterday I cut out some wedges and this is what I managed.
20180423_161226.jpg

Today I finished up the shingling hatchet I got an octogonal handle for, just to try one out. This one I think the handle is tilted a bit forward on the handle and I had to put it way down on the shoulder to get the head to cover the kerf but I got it finished.
20180424_150012.jpg

That shingling Hatchet, (or Carpenter’s Axe as Vaughn & Estwing Call Them), Sure is Nice.

ray benson

Latest posts