Bandit 250xp cummins diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakdaddy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought a 1999 Bandit 250xp with a cummins diesel. First day using it started chipping great about half hour in three out a big cloud of black smoke and bogged out. I shut it down and retried. Worked great or about 15 minutes did the same exact thing. And that's how it was for the rest of the day. Every 15 minutes belched up smoke bogged down then wouldn't run. Anybody have a clue what's going on. Seems almost electrical. Works great, part overheats, bogs out then repeat.

Tank vent ok. Open fuel cap and leave loose. Had a Morbark do that.

Temp gauge was reading perfect but the overtemp sensor may be going awry. I will definitely try the fuel cap too. Easy repair if that's it. Have had a bandit 90 xp with a Wisconsin VG4D that has performed flawlessly for at least ten years. Diesels are a foreign language to me. Thanks for the input I'll let you know how it woks out

I learned the hard way over the years, when a diesel bogs down, belches smoke, then dies, to NEVER restart it until you have confirmed the turbo didn't let go. Twice now, I've had machines running fine, then suddenly bog out and die. I restart, they just bog so I shut down to find out the turbo's bearings and fins let go. Probably could have saved both turbos had I checked them the first instant the motor stalled out. You might say I'm paranoid now....just incase this helps anyone save some money I thought I would add this.... not that it helps you but well...

I learned the hard way over the years, when a diesel bogs down, belches smoke, then dies, to NEVER restart it until you have confirmed the turbo didn't let go. Twice now, I've had machines running fine, then suddenly bog out and die. I restart, they just bog so I shut down to find out the turbo's bearings and fins let go. Probably could have saved both turbos had I checked them the first instant the motor stalled out. You might say I'm paranoid now....just incase this helps anyone save some money I thought I would add this.... not that it helps you but well...
Knowing very little about diesels does it matter that it didn't shut down? It bogged like it was under load then slowly started to come back up to speed like it was chipping a large piece when it was finishing a 4inch branch.

My bandit 990 with the cat diesel has done something similar twice. At 400 hours and at 800. Running fine, then all of a sudden blue smoke and not getting up to speed.
It was the lift pump both times. The injector pump was strong enough to keep it running, but without the lift pump, not running right.

Relatively simple fix, but $400 for the part from cat. I couldn’t buy just the pump, had to get the whole housing etc.

Make sure when you turn the key on, when you push the Murphy switch you can hear the lift pump pumping. You can pop the fuel line off and double check it is pumping fuel when you do this too if you aren’t sure what to listen for.

Latest posts

Back