best climbing saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsdogs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Feed back as to the climbing saws you like best. I've tried them all. I loved the super 25's back in the day. After they stopped making them I tried stihl but they weren't for s..t. Tried huskies and now I use echo. Any of you guys have any saws that have power, balance and durability?
Thanks

200T handsdown. Its the best rear/non reed carb saw on the market. No other top handle saw will match it for top end power. If you put a 14" "light" bar on it that balances the saw out completely.

MS200T by far. I bought one so when I work with guys that don't have them I can use mine. It is just like my American Express card. "Don't leave home without it."

JS how can you say Echo is better than Stihl??

I was an echo user for years untill I picked up my MS200T. The Stihl has way more power and much better balance (I also swapped to a 14'' bar)

Before that it was the poulan 25, my old boss actually had bought a couple of pallets of them. I tried everything to get him to switch to the echo, in the end it was the lack of chain break that convinced him to stop with the poulan

Husky 141

I've had a 141 in the tree for over 5 years now. It runs faster now and vibrates a little more than it did new but I just love it. It still runs, I cant kill it. Ive never dropped it in 5 years knock on wood. I use it a 16 inch bar comes standard and rarely have to bring up another larger saw. 14 inch bars (most top handled) are to short for comfortable cutting. I dont like having to cut one side of my back cut then finishing up on the other side.
Husky's 141 has been replaced with a 142 but by the time my 141 is dead ill have to buy a 143 i guess. Man is this not the best tree saw ever!
Light trimming, bucking its one saw that does it all.:clap:

Imma try and start carrying it on my left side and working more with my left hand. I gotta mix it up my age is starting to show.

Last edited:
BostonBull said:
200T handsdown. Its the best rear/non reed carb saw on the market. No other top handle saw will match it for top end power. If you put a 14" "light" bar on it that balances the saw out completely.

My muffler modded 335 and 335 Cali's either beat or run equally with a 200T with the muffler screen removed...and are reliable and easy starting. Yes the 200T is overall the best saw, but it is not perfect....the carb placement limits reach a bit, handle and throttle assembly is fragile.....and it's a bit heavier than the Huskys, which no longer are plagued with many of the problems they had when first introduced.

Not sure about the 338's, as mine was woods ported by Dan Henry, yet has a tad less power than the others. Company specs say it has 2.3 kw versus 2.2 on the older 335, but that isn't true with mine.

another vote for 335 husky. muffler modded, lots of power, starts easy and has been dead reliable.

there's so much good feedback on 200T, I'll probably switch too. when I find the right deal of course...:greenchainsaw:

So lets talk horsepower

Echo 330 HP=
Echo 369 Hp=

Sthil020t HP=
Sthil019 HP?

Husky 335 hp=
Husky 338 hp =

Husky 136 hp=
Husky 142 hp =
Husky350 hp=

xtreme, If you like a rearhandled saw and want horsepower along with a reasonable climbing weight You should replace your 141 with a 346xp. I prefer a lightweight, compact Tophandle for most climbing but have climbed with the 346 and must say that it is an AWESOME climbing saw-particularly for removal work/big cuts.

personal choice

ms200 is a great saw......i run a stihl 017 they are a very reliable and powerful saw, not to mention VERY durable for the price. mine has survived 2 falls from 40' plus . i used to run a echo 302 for a long time but the saw got too heavy but was a bulletproof reliable unit.

my advice is to try a couple of saws out....what type are you looking for ? an arborist saw with the top handle? regular handle? what size wood are you cutting regulary? whatever you choose just remember to keep it safe!!

-mike

I have been told that hp really isn't an accurate way to measure saw power. It is displacement that matters.

Husky 141 is a HOMOwner saw for light use.

chain saws

Thanks for all your input. I didn't say echo was better but after using the o20t a few years ago I was turned off by the small stihls. I did however buy 2 of thw 200t's today. For as much as they cost they should climb the tree and set your rope for you. But we'll see how my formen like them and how well they hold up. Thanks again for all your input

OTG BOSTON said:
I have been told that hp really isn't an accurate way to measure saw power. It is displacement that matters..

yes and no, hp is directly related to displacement and displacement is measured in cubic centimeters. the formulas that are used to compute hp's are derived from the cc's ( displacement)

Back