best climbing saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I googled the compariosons and well lookie thar it sent me here with noobs:hmm3grin2orange:

Id spike up a tree in a dress and share it on the net in video format.. pussboy uhh that U fear of theitghts not me.

Stumper I'm looking into that range a saw now, it will be my final purchase. Make 9 the total of saws I keep sharp.
Sorry about the homophobic posers nubiles.

Last edited:
xtremetrees said:
So lets talk horsepower

Echo 330 HP=
Echo 369 Hp=

Sthil200T HP=
Sthil192T HP?

Husky 335 hp=
Husky 338 hp =

Husky 136 hp=
Husky 142 hp =
Husky350 hp=

There I updated the Stihl models for you.

I used a Husky 334 for a while and never liked it very much. I just got a Stihl MS200T and it is great. All you have to do is fire one up and you'll have to buy it.

Here's how perfectly balanced it is: When running at full throttle, the centrifugal force of the chain (on a 14" bar) throws the weight back just enough to bring the center of gravity perfectly upon the trigger. It's awesome!

MS200T in its current form with new style fuel tank breather's which are more central to the tank, so are not getting snagged up and pulled off or splitting ect ,they have iliminated the only fault i could find with it and made the perfect saw.

Any one tried an oleo mac?I had never heard of them but was given a ground saw of there's and its not a bad little machine,light and well balanced and powerful for its size a bit plasticly,but i noticed on there web site they do a couple of climbing saws any one had a go?

i've used huskies till i started climbing... then everybody said go stihl...used a 335 once....felt alright...but latley that box-ass stihl really seems to catch on the branches...especially in really branchy-mistletoe hemmies...but buddy had boght a 338xp but still uses his stihl cuz of the high end... and taking tops of big old growth, you need all the high end you can get...chain speed chain speed chain speed!

I recently dropped into Walker's Saw shop in Nanaimo, after removing some big Firs up that way on a new lot for my brother.

Walker's have some great two-stroke tuners, they deck and port engines for 125cc shifter carts, fabricate some awesome expansion chambers from scratch, are renowned for getting 372, 395 and 3120 Husky's opened up for reliable 14,000 rpm operation. (Chain speed, chain speed!!)

"Hey, I've got a Husky 335," says I, "is there anything you can do to make that saw rip hard?"

"Sure," says the guy behind the counter, "We used to do alot of that, they need porting and jets, some muffler mods, but for the money you spend on that, you may as well just get a Stihl MS200T."

"Cool, I've got a new 200 in my truck right now, what would you do with that?"

"Ditch the spark screen..."

"Already gone."

"...And rich it up a bit, they ship them lean for Cali specs."

"Already done, bro."

"Then that's it. Some guys want to open up the muffler, but I wouldn't. It's a racing engine straight from the get go. I crack open every tenth one I sell looking for porting but they're all slick, slick, slick. I wish Stihl did as well on their bigger saws."

"Thanks. What would you give me for my 335?"

"A handshake. I've got a box full of 'em. There's a couple of guys who swear by them, but everyone else has gone 200T."

RedlineIt

191t

so why not use the 191t. more power than 200t and 192t. 1lb heavier than 200. I wish stihl hadn't stopped making them. That is the only problem i see with the 191t is they stopped making it.

I admit - i'm still a rookie - i'm using the husky 142 w/ a 16" bar as my climbin' saw. I'm already on the 2nd one because the first one quit oiling the bar (they gave me a new one because it was only a month old). I'll probably keep using this one until it quits oiling, and then i may have to go to the 200t. Our local power company guys use it and they swear by it!

I've been bouncing a Husky 338 around the trees for the last three years, I still love it. A friend asked me to use his Stihl 200. I have to admit that I was tempted, but until he paints it orange....it just ain't a saw.

Seriously, the ergonomics of the husky are so much better than the Stihl, rpms seem quicker from the 338 than the Stihl, (although that may be due to personal settings on the saw, length of break in time, and wear and tear on the saws compared...new to new I have never compared).

But as far as reliability is concerned...Everyone I know that uses Stihl, (or at least I have known over the years) seemed to brag incessantly about the saws' reliability...yet they were constantly tearing their saw down, or picking it up from the shop.

I need tools that will work for me, not tools I need to work for. If I have to break down every saw every night and clean them out, etc. I am working for the tools, not the tools for me. My little husky gets gassed, oiled, and sent up the tree to me. Once every two or three months I might clean the air filter, other than that she runs, and still kicks -ss. Just a couple of months ago she had her first tune up....while she was gone I missed her, and used a Johnsered demo of their new topping saw.

It ws really nice to get the 338 back. The Jonny I think would have been alot better after it was broke in, but I don't think it would ever compare to my 338.

You all can have your Stihls, and if you have the time for the maintenance needed to keep them running, more power to you. Personally I got better things to do than work on my saw every night.

How can you possibly go two or three months on the air cleaner on a 338? If I'm working a big branchy maple mine's full of junk by lunch time.
Phil

oldugly said:
You all can have your Stihls, and if you have the time for the maintenance needed to keep them running, more power to you. Personally I got better things to do than work on my saw every night.

I've never had a maintenance prob with my Stihl. The Husky 335's that we use to use those were a completely different story.

Beowolf...I was tempted to stoop to trash talking, but especially in this forum where dolittles argue ethics with the do alots...it means nothing. The fact is the air induction system in a 338 will keep most of the crap out of the carb anyway...the second fact is although I do not do much maintenance on my saws I do maintain the chain sharpness...(sorry for those who already know this but I figure I must explain to some)...larger chips tend not to clog the air filter nearly as much.

I have heard alot of good things about the ms200, however it does feel clumsy to me...and in the very limited experience I have had with one it did not have the rpm's my old 338 did. (Again limited experience...and neither saw was new.) Also (again with limited exposure to this saw in particular) it seems most stihl owners spend a lot more time in maintenance than I would like to, or need to with my huskies.

I especially like the mechanics who testify to the reliability of a saw..(regardless of brand) because I never know if it is reliable for the saw owner, or if the saw mechanic relys on it to keep him in business.

I will admit that I have not put nearly the amount of hours on Stihls (at least since 1980) as I have on Huskies, Jonnies, Echoes, and yes (God forbid) Poulans and Homelites...even a couple of Macs. IN all, I love my little husky.

Boston..I had a 335 for awhile. I liked it for about six months...and you are right...they are junk. I think the 338 is a totally different saw..although in honesty I do not know the technology differences between the two. I do know in six months my 335 was trash..in 3 years my 338 still cuts like a lazer.

Back