best log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that flywheel splitter looks scary!

little margin for error. one wrong move and you've had it.

even if you could push a knob and stop the stroke. very difficult to react fast enough to stop something from getting chopped off.

we're now going from one extreme of too slow to too fast. seems folks with a 22gpm pump mated to a 5in ram is the ticket.

my 37ton with 6in ram would be better off w/5in ram. pump is rated at 16gpm, but is moving 22gpm to achieve 15 second cycle times. no lack of power that's for sure! I've split 4+ feet rounds with no problems. about killed me getting round into position to split.

I'd trade less ram tonnage for faster cycle times in a heartbeat.

Really when you see them work in person they are not that scary. I thought the same thing before I had mine. 2 seconds going down is without a log on it. It slows a bit with a log. Mine doesn;t have the knob I wouldn;t like that either. I have a handle and keep my hand on it. It's really not bad. I have a hydraulic splitter also. I use it to bust the big rounds into quarters then I use the fast splitter. It works very well.

Scott

A couple pics of my new splitter mod. Last year i had bolted a piece of half inch plywood to one of the log holders on the side of the beam. I finally got around to making the shelf out of steel. It works like a dream! Its plenty sturdy enough for me to sit on and take a break if i want.

A couple pics of it in use. I'll post an old pic with my wood test piece for comparison. I made it so the splitter can still be used vertically if wanted.... though i never run it that way. To get my big stuff on it, my FIL sets them on the splitter with his bobcat. He loves any excuse to fire that thing up ! Occaisionally he is not around, in which case i improvise.

That shelf is very nice.
There was a fellow selling them on eBay, but they were more like a cradle rather than a shelf.
I wasn't sure about it because it has to be unbolted, I think, when going vertical. Turns out I'm doing most splitting horizontally, so it'd be real useful to have a piece "on deck" and not have to bend over to pick it up.

Exactly what its there for. I seem to end up with a fair amount of big stuff. I have some spoiled friends who give me that stuff because its too big for them to mess with. No problem...... i'll take it ! Even for small pieces.... its nice to be able to keep the piece in front of you so you are not spending half your time and all of your back bending over and picking the wood up off the ground.

I do so much big rounds, couldn't operate without vertical mode.

seldom use horizontal mode, too much effort to pick up log to load on splitter. much easier to roll log on ground level into vertical splitter widge. vs having to life all logs up to horizontal position.

if you have a hyd lift, that'd be the ticket!

Ductape; said:
Exactly what its there for. I seem to end up with a fair amount of big stuff. I have some spoiled friends who give me that stuff because its too big for them to mess with. No problem...... i'll take it ! Even for small pieces.... its nice to be able to keep the piece in front of you so you are not spending half your time and all of your back bending over and picking the wood up off the ground.

Timber Wolf

06/27/2010

O.k. here is my 2 cents worth on wood splitter. And if you are Married you better talk to your wife first.
Like I did when I took her out for dinner and we talk about it for 5 minutes. Boy was I wrong, she came unglue and we were talking divorce.

This is what I have. Timber Wolf TW6 with a hydraulic lift and the six way wedge cost $9500.00 NEW.
Used it on a Spruce tree 40 inches across x 110 feet long. The TW6 did an outstanding job, it out worked both of us and the only time I got the round stuck is when I hit a knot the size of my neck and that happen
a couple of times.
We learn will fast on how to get rounds unstuck and that is to used a strap and wrap it around the round and the ram and pull it back.

Now the Cons.
1.The hydraulic lift lines need to be rerouted against the frame instead of just hanging out there waiting for a peace of wood to fall and break the fitting.
2. Needs a heat shield between the engine and operator, During the summer months it will cook you royally.
3. Changing the engine oil. Better have a couple of oil pans and a lot of paper towels, it is a big mess.

Things I will be adding.
1. A heat shield.
2. Work lights.

If you have any question or live in the Seattle WA area feel free to ask [email protected]

I just purchased a 37 ton 12.5hp swisher splitter for $1250 on clearance from Lowes. It has a 16gpm 2 stage haldex pump, 12.5 hp BS I/C engine with a 5" ram and 6" beam. How do these units hold up?

I believe we have the same splitter. Mine (as I can recall) is labeled a 34 ton, but has the exact same engine, pump, and ram.

It's been a good splitter. Tons of power (I believe the 37 or even a more believable 34 tons is a little inflated by our manufacturer, but still a powerful splitter) and haven't found anything that it won't split if the wood is read right. Seems to be well built too.

I had a hose burst on me after about 6 hours of splitting. Come to find out there is supposed to be a rubber grommet around the sharp steel where a hydraulic hose passes through the splitter platform. When I removed the damaged hose I found the grommet zip-tied to the top of the pump, which you can't see. The cylinder and detent valve also started leaking after about 10-15 cords. I don't believe the components used are as high of quality as a iron and oak or a timberwolf. Some of "you get what you pay for" is certainly true, but we still got a pretty good "bang for the buck" splitter.

At $1250 you certainly got a deal. It is approximately a $2,000 splitter. I bought mine for $1500, but it was a barely used demo that I took a chance on. Even when I bought it my plan was/is to someday own a Super Splitter and the Swisher will be set-up in vertical mode for the occasional huge chunks.

Iron and Oak 30 Ton horizontal only-my preference. Honda engine. Paid for itself in the first year---remind wifey about that!

much safer to go with huskee splitter, which is made by speeco.

there's been negative posts about troy bilt, newer models made by MTD. there's also excellent reviews of older troy bilt pre-MTD.

have not seen any negative comments posted on huskee splitters.
even the smallest speeco/huskee has gotten excellent reviews for being able to bust thru anything thrown at it.

again... biggest complaint I have with speeco splitters is instability when towing at highway speeds. if you've got to tow splitter to wood site. it can be a royal pita towing on highways.

also pumps are somewhat exposed when towing over ruff terrain on speeco splitters.

Most of our new 2010 model designs have horizontal shaft engines, putting the pump out of reach of any stumps, rocks or other obstacles you may inadvertently tow it over on the farm.

Kevin @ speeco

I'm amazed at what guys are paying for splitters.. Home Depot wants $2000 for a 20 "SURGE MASTER!!!!" All the good ones around here that I've see are breaking the $3K mark and they're not even over 30 Ton.. I mean I have $1200 into my rebuild and the damm things doesn't even run yet and I had and am re-using alot of parts. Your hard pressed to find a new decent tractor driven splitter here for under $1500.

splitters

are you sure 30 tons .my tw6 18 hp is i think 28 tons so i dont know

huskey 28 ton

1500 out the door, TSC. the pump is direct drive to the honda engine. it is a great machine and would HIGHLY recommend. (last year, franklin IN)
I research the crap out of this, and would do again. whatever it is you can physcially roll into it, it WILL pop.

I have found that some of the vertical/horizontal splitters seem to have poor accessability in the horizontal mode. It seems that the tires/axle reduce accessability to the splitting bed while positioned in the horizontal mode. Are all of them like this??

No, Split Ez gives ya plenty of room with out bumping into anything.

this is purely based upon seeing a number of posts mentioning leakage issues with harbor freight splitters and other issues with MTD units. there's also been a number of folks standing up for MTD splitters.

look at post above... velvetft seems to be having leakage issues with a harbor freight splitter :chainsaw:

The variation's in cylinders can be as great as the variation's in choice of engines to use on a splitter. There's anything from low end to high end and everything in between on cylinders.

I'm sure there are some of all used and more often than not reflected in the manufacturer's price of the splitter. A cylinder with cheap internals more often than not will fail before one with more expensive internals.

Back