Best Starter Chainsaw for under $300??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not as experienced as a lot of the cats on this site, but I would suggest something in the 50cc range, with a 16" or 18" bar. Look into a Stihl FarmBoss(if they still make them. Heard they had stopped.) The farm and ranch line of Stihls will probably suit your needs perfectly. I also have an old MAC 610 that my father has used to heat houses we've had over the years and still runs great. Can pick them up on eBay for under $200. Really most saws in that price range that will be suggested here are going to work well for you. A lot of dudes here cut a lot of wood.

Yup, 026 Pro Stihl from the classifieds here on AS. I see cherry ones in there all the time for $300. There was one in California and one in Michigan. Cherry, big time. The last thing a guy wants to do on ArboristSite would be to screw a guy on a saw. I don't think it happens.

Think I've narrowed it down guys

Many great saws recommended here..
Let us know what you get and how it performs..

Poulan Pro 42cc 2-Cycle 18-in Gas Chain Saw @ Lowes for $169.00 or ECHO 14 in. 30.5 cc Gas Chainsaw @ Homedepot for $199.00
both look like they will accomplish what I need...just doing a tad more research...before I step up to the plate.

I like the 5yr/1yr warranty on the Echo and they seem to have a bit higher rating after devouring a few hundred since last night!:bang:

Thanks for all the feedback guys!:D

Poulan Pro 42cc 2-Cycle 18-in Gas Chain Saw @ Lowes for $169.00 or ECHO 14 in. 30.5 cc Gas Chainsaw @ Homedepot for $199.00
both look like they will accomplish what I need...just doing a tad more research...before I step up to the plate.

I like the 5yr/1yr warranty on the Echo and they seem to have a bit higher rating after devouring a few hundred since last night!:bang:

If you can step up to the CS400 Echo 40cc 18" and light great package I love mine.:msp_smile:

Nmurph has a 353 in the classifieds for 3 bills it a great little saw just a little less power than a 346 but can be converted easily.

Another good option for the non-pro Husqies: vminnovations (dot) com. Great prices on factory refurbs. Right now, 455R is going for $283 f.o.b. your doorway. Smaller models available.

Got a 455R last year from them. Love it. It cut up huge amounts of Sandy's blowdowns around here, while singing a robust baritone.

Of course, a really sharp chain is mandatory. See Granberg's "File-N-Joint" for a simple, precise, clamp-on file guide. (They do call it a CHAIN-saw, after all.)

Leave some room in the budget for a couple of spare chains, a spare sprocket, and files, or ways to grind the chains. You need a decently stocked woods tool box, so you can perform minor repairs in the woods. You need a gas can for mix. You need a few wedges, I make mine out of hedge.

With a chainsaw you are now in the chainsaw sharpening business. Different conditions and personalities will sharpen differently, but I sharpen every tankfull, sometimes every couple of tanks. You will want to be adept at sharpening or you will quickly tire of having to pay someone, and you will not be using your saw efficiently. If you spend the time to learn, you will benefit for the life of your saw.

If you put up a few cords extra this year, you can sell them next year and get that pro saw you always wanted. Or you could buy groceries and electricity with it.

Dan

I'd go for a used 50cc saw. I love my husqvarna 350. They can be found in great shape for $200-250. Very light and easy to start. As others said, for an extra benjamin you can have a 346.

Point is, go gently used and 50cc. Pay a little more now for a good saw that you'll keep.
Learn to sharpen. Its not that hard with a guide and will save you time and money. I use a file-n-joint after 3-4 hand filings to touch them up.
Good luck!

I don't have any particular brand to steer you toward, but I will agree with the guys that have suggested you get a saw that is about 50cc or larger. I"m afraid you won't be happy with a saw in the 30cc range.

I do agree that you should purchase an extra chain or two, and some basic file guide for sharpening. Chains can dull fast working near the ground. When I started cutting, it didn't take long to get tired of taking my chains to the dealer to sharpen. Bought a file guide and would touch them up a few times myself, and would take them to the saw shop every third or fourth time to have them sharpened. Eventually I got to where having my own chain grinder made alot of sense.

I cant believe noone has mentioned

Check with your local rental shops for any that they are selling off old rental units. Home Depot sells off the old Makita 6401 sometimes for a steal. I would find a good used saw for around $200 and then buy some extra chain and a file guide.
My best saw was purchased from my father-in-law. He had a Dolmar 116si that was just too much saw for his needs. While I won't pretend it is the best saw ever built I will say that you won't find a better saw for what I paid. You should check with friends and relatives and see if you could pick up a good saw that they don't need anymore. Never know who has buried treasure in their tool shed.

Considering that he said he was a noob to using a saw, I'd go 'safety-conscious' first.

I got my little Husky 235 from Lowes for $200, and it's been a great saw - never had any trouble with it, and it's a good 5 years old. You don't even need a tool to tighten/change the chain.

Once he gets his feet wet, then the CAD will set in and he can have a better idea of what he's looking for in a higher grade saw.

Today I went and looked at three different brands 40 cc saw's all brand new - Poulan; Tanaka and Dolmar

The Poulan started the easiest out of those three and all those had a layer of dust on them LOL

Buy the way the Poulan ($169) was the cheapest Tanaka ($189) and the Dolmar (see pic below) was the most expensive

Hold on to your hat's boys and girls

001.jpg

If you pm me I'll send you the name of the dealer in Mt Vernon Washington were that pic was taking at

Today I went and looked at three different brands 40 cc saw's all brand new - Poulan; Tanaka and Dolmar

The Poulan started the easiest out of those three and all those had a layer of dust on them LOL

Buy the way the Poulan ($169) was the cheapest Tanaka ($189) and the Dolmar (see pic below) was the most expensive

Hold on to your hat's boys and girls

001.jpg

If you pm me I'll send you the name of the dealer in Mt Vernon Washington were that pic was taking at

That saw will have a lot more dust on it by the time he sells it.:censored:

Go down to your local Stihl dealer and get on the payment plan for a 441CM-Tronic. You'll never need another saw. Until you run a 660. Then you'll need one of those too:p

Quote :the poulan pp5020 @200 schlomollians has got to be the most cut for the cheap buck brand new you can get now,
You can get at, tractor supply, Menard's, amazon.
The Poulan pro 5020av is a repackaged husky 450 50cc saw and actually well liked on here.

There is a big difference between a 455 and a home owner box store saw

Hands down a used makita, its a dolmar but blue. Not many normal people know about the dolmars, and less the makita. A great saw that people don't know about, so they go real cheap. Us stihl guys, and the silly husky guy's put our noses up to them. Well not me, I have the 6401. 64 cc's, I think I paid $175 with files and stuff. Something like that. Thread is on here somewhere.

Back