black walnut saw chips cause skin irritation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They died!

Lol. My buddy brought home 2 ewe late one night after a trip to up state NY. He roped them to a bunch of shrubs in his backyard and figured he’d put them in the pen early the next morning.
He roped them to Mountain Laurel. They were both down by the time he got to them the next morning. One made it. The one that died I didn’t feel right about cutting up in case the meat was poisoned.
Terrible waste.

Lol. My buddy brought home 2 ewe late one night after a trip to up state NY. He roped them to a bunch of shrubs in his backyard and figured he’d put them in the pen early the next morning.
He roped them to Mountain Laurel. They were both down by the time he got to them the next morning. One made it. The one that died I didn’t feel right about cutting up in case the meat was poisoned.
Terrible waste.

I cant get that lucky. Sheep are doing way too fine.

We are currently running about 25 head. We have painted desert sheep. They are a trophy bread. The rams grow massive horns so you place them out on ranches and blast them when they get to something you need to put over your fire place. Mine are just for lookn’. We also run islandic sheep. They have a stink you just cant get over but the second crop of wool called lopi is worth some money.

We are currently running about 25 head. We have painted desert sheep. They are a trophy bread. The rams grow massive horns so you place them out on ranches and blast them when they get to something you need to put over your fire place. Mine are just for lookn’. We also run islandic sheep. They have a stink you just cant get over but the second crop of wool called lopi is worth some money.
Are you referring to Icelandic sheep? Very interesting animal!

My friend was raising sheep for a while. I’m always amazed how dirty they are but once sheared (shorn?) the wool is actually able to be cleaned.

Wolves and coyotes seem to have a special sweet tooth for sheep over other animals too.

Opps. Icelandic. Trying to do too many things at once. Desert sheep are a hair sheep and do not need to be shorn. The grow a dense coat in the winter that falls out in the spring. Icelandic sheep are shorn twice a year. Once in the spring and again late fall. The spring shearing is next to useless but the fall shearing is valuable to hand spinners.

Desert sheep deal with predators by running away and they are good at it. They are fast and extremely agile. They can jump better than most deer and can easily clear a 5-foot fence. Icelandic are like a barrel on a pair of stilts. They deal with predators differently. They run at them. Both rams and ewes have horns and know how to use them.

https://morningchores.com/icelandic-sheep/

https://www.lazyjvranch.com/pdstemperment.html

Anyone ever get a skin irritation from black walnut saw dust ? I was cutting some black walnut the other day 85 + degrees out in the sun sweating like a pig the next thing I know my arms are burning. I cleaned off the wood chips and I see what looks like little chemical burns . I thought I was crazy I have cut black walnut and never had this problem . I did a search on the net and found out it is a skin irritant io some people .long sleeves the next time I cut black walnut .
Salt in your body from sweat causing the tannins in the Walnut to seep out from the sawdust and it can be extremely reactive and dangerous to animals.
I always wear a respirator when cutting Walnut and other woods no matter how hot. I even wear a dust mask and safety glasses when cutting the grass on my rider mower to help me not have eye irritations or breath in all the stuff that gets injected up into the air.
But then I've always done this method of PPE protection all my life and I'm 55 now and strong and healthy as an ox.
Hopefully it helps me stay that way.
It can't hurt to protect yourself.

Salt in your body from sweat causing the tannins in the Walnut to seep out from the sawdust and it can be extremely reactive and dangerous to animals.
I always wear a respirator when cutting Walnut and other woods no matter how hot. I even wear a dust mask and safety glasses when cutting the grass on my rider mower to help me not have eye irritations or breath in all the stuff that gets injected up into the air.
But then I've always done this method of PPE protection all my life and I'm 55 now and strong and healthy as an ox.
Hopefully it helps me stay that way.
It can't hurt to protect yourself.
I mowed with a rider for three hours one day in very dusty conditions and really paid for it over the next few days. No more of that!

Yeah sheep can eat anything. You hear stories about them eating clothes right off of clothes lines back in the day.

I was just a little kid in the 80s when my parents had a garden at my uncle's place. It was a decent sized area, fenced off from woods/pasture.

My Dad had hung his flannel shirt on a fence post and a cow came along and started eating it.
He ended up having to whack it with a shovel to give it up!

Those cows were tame, my cousins would ride them like horses.

Years later we raised a few cows. Left the tractor in the field with them. They ended up eating all the rubber off the hydraulic lines to the loader. I believe it was a Farmall Super M.

We'd pick buckets of wild apples for them and they'd fight over the piles.

They weren't very edible for people... wormy plus so sour that it'd about turn your mouth inside out.

Sheep are tougher than horses. We worked a job for a horse farm a couple months ago. Cut every walnut and cherry on the place. They were vets and said that these two trees were harmful to horses.

Cows will chew on cherry bark and it will kill them. Any smart farmer with heffers or beefers doesn't have any cherry on his property.

On the walnut topic, I've got a few little heat blisters from it but thats about it.

Back