Question about when to prune / remove limb on black walnut tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaymus

Reaction score
We have a mature black walnut tree next to our garage. One of the limbs is over the driveway / garage and I want to remove it. A few folks that we called have opposite views on when to take the limb off. One estimator said to do it now (early Feb) before the leaves come in. The other said to wait until the leave come in and do it around April / May. Are they both right or one more right than the other? There are 5 big branches coming out of the base of the tree and we would be removing one of them. The tree looks like it will still be fairly well balanced.

Attachments

• BlkWalnut.jpg
    BlkWalnut.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 41
That is a HUGE wound to leave on the tree. It will almost certainly lead to decay within the whole butt. Not immediately, but the tree will become less stable in the long-term. Is probably pruning (NOT topping) to reduce some weight on the end an option?

More direct to your question: it doesn't matter. Sure summer pruning wounds are compartmentalized quicker...but that will be many years to grow over if it ever does.

I agree with ATH.

Here's a few suggested cut locations for a crown reduction just to give you an idea. The decision needs to be made by a trained arborist preferably using some type of man lift due to the spread out nature of the tree. Of course some climbers could do it with a rope and saddle and they would indeed be good climbers.

Over time another crown reduction would be nice..
A point: The removal of lower limbs on this walnut has forced growth out near the tips where weight and sail are leveraged. Interior limbs are good but are often removed unnecessarily.

Info borrowed off of the internet:

• Reduction reduces the size of a tree, often for utility line clearance. Reducing a tree’s height or spread is best accomplished by pruning back the leaders and branch terminals to secondary branches that are large enough to assume the terminal roles (at least one-third the diameter of the cut stem). Compared to topping, reduction helps maintain the tree’s form and structural integrity.
What is retrenchment in trees?
Retrenchment will involve tip pruning over several cycles,to promote lower growth before any weight reduction is possible. Successive pruning restores light to the lower crown and manipulates apical control to allow shoots to develop into limbs, over several decades.

Walnut trim.jpg

I agree with ATH but if you're dead set on cutting it, I would cut about 8' above your arrow, not so close to the base. That might delay rot at the base a little longer. wonder what was done in the past to cause so many stems growing.

It looks like it was cut down and what we see now are old stump sprouts.

We recently purchased the property a few months ago, so don't have any info on the history of the tree. We obviously have a lot to learn and don't want to kill the tree. The walnuts are deadly on the concrete slab and stepping on them is like walking across ball bearings. Not fun and dangerous.

We recently purchased the property a few months ago, so don't have any info on the history of the tree. We obviously have a lot to learn and don't want to kill the tree. The walnuts are deadly on the concrete slab and stepping on them is like walking across ball bearings. Not fun and dangerous.
and they were there first....

I wouldn't have taken the time to replay if I'd known that the concern was about the tree being a tree.
Seems easy enough. Remove the limb you are concerned with....The garage can't be moved or rebuilt. Let the rest of the tree live on in silent peace. The nuts are a nuisance, until the squirrels find out you've go them....

We have a mature black walnut tree next to our garage. One of the limbs is over the driveway / garage and I want to remove it. A few folks that we called have opposite views on when to take the limb off. One estimator said to do it now (early Feb) before the leaves come in. The other said to wait until the leave come in and do it around April / May. Are they both right or one more right than the other? There are 5 big branches coming out of the base of the tree and we would be removing one of them. The tree looks like it will still be fairly well balanced.
You don't want to wait for the leaves to come on. Best to prune when the tree is dormant.
I wouldn't cut it to close to the base of the tree, I expect it will decay faster then healing at the cut off point. If it were to heal, chances better up where it is smaller, and if it decays it will buy it some time getting to the base of the tree.
I'd be thinking of starting some replacement trees so they will have some size on them when the time comes for the remainder of that tree to come down.

I agree with ATH.

Here's a few suggested cut locations for a crown reduction just to give you an idea. The decision needs to be made by a trained arborist preferably using some type of man lift due to the spread out nature of the tree. Of course some climbers could do it with a rope and saddle and they would indeed be good climbers.

Over time another crown reduction would be nice..
A point: The removal of lower limbs on this walnut has forced growth out near the tips where weight and sail are leveraged. Interior limbs are good but are often removed unnecessarily.

Info borrowed off of the internet:

• Reduction reduces the size of a tree, often for utility line clearance. Reducing a tree’s height or spread is best accomplished by pruning back the leaders and branch terminals to secondary branches that are large enough to assume the terminal roles (at least one-third the diameter of the cut stem). Compared to topping, reduction helps maintain the tree’s form and structural integrity.
What is retrenchment in trees?
Retrenchment will involve tip pruning over several cycles,to promote lower growth before any weight reduction is possible. Successive pruning restores light to the lower crown and manipulates apical control to allow shoots to develop into limbs, over several decades.

View attachment 962745
i would be using a plunge cut , ( bore cut) to prevent barber chair . I would treat it as if it was leaning out on the side of a hill. Make the cut at a comfortable height off the ground. For safety and full control of the saw. Expect wet wood my limited experience cutting down was that
my walnut tree was extremely wet sap. After you drop the limb then trim the remainder stem to your liking.
D

I highly recommend cutting while dormant. The black walnut tree has juglone in it. Can cause chemical burns/respiratory/anaphylaxis. I have quite a few around my house and I get burnt up trimming them with foilage. Plus the mess they make with walnuts is a nightmare and squirrels dig holes everywhere burying them. If you trim in summer wear gloves and long sleeves and pay attention to your breathing and health while working on the tree

Where can a person buy a dozen or so Black Walnut seedlings? I'd love to have some shipped to me. I'm sure they can Grow in zone 5B, but I've never seen them in any local Nursery.

Where can a person buy a dozen or so Black Walnut seedlings? I'd love to have some shipped to me. I'm sure they can Grow in zone 5B, but I've never seen them in any local Nursery.
There are dozens of tree nurseries you can order from or I can send you walnuts in the fall and you can plant your own.

Those walnut trees are fast growing in michigan till they get 3-4" then they slow down. They make a huge mess and I would not plant anywhere that you plan on mowing and definitely not by a house. All the leaves fall off in a day once they decide to go.

Just find someone local who has a black walnut tree and ask for some nuts. Stratify them and set them out in pots. They germinate pretty readily here on the mid east coast. Have set out hundreds of seedlings doing that process.

Those walnut trees are fast growing in michigan till they get 3-4" then they slow down. They make a huge mess and I would not plant anywhere that you plan on moving and definitely not by a house. All the leaves fall off in a day once they decide to go.
Here in central California there are tons of them out in the valley alongside the farm land roads. Some are huge 5' diameter very old trees that must have been planted when settlers first arrived here since they border the roads. Then again, they're native so probably predate our arrival and the trees along the roads are just what is left after we made things better. There, that covers all the possibilities. They always graft an English Walnut top onto a Black Walnut trunk because the native Black Walnut is resistant to disease and pests and has adapted to our soils.
Although Black Walnuts have good flavor, the hulls are extremely hard and the meat is difficult to get out of them. Not fun.

Latest posts

Back