Bleeding the hydrolic system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That simply isn't possible!

All the cylinders I have messed with will bottom out in both directions without damage. In fact that is how a "factory" log splitter detend valve works.

Something isn't right with that valve (looked like something from a tractor). Because if you stick oil in there at HIGH pressure something has to move! I can not force my 5" cylinder by hand either. But the engine can! But it notices the load of moving oil thru the hoses, and the cylinder.

Hydraulic fluid milk shake can't be good. However, if things are not frozen then it really doesn't matter, the cylinder should have moved.

I am confused again. You want to use a 1 3/4 ram???

Not sure what pressure/flow your engine/pump combo is capable of, but...

The formula is Pi times Radius squared.

If you used a 5" cylinder 2.5 X 2.5 X 3.1416 = 19.63 square inches area.

Multiply that times the available pressure (2500??) 49087 lbs force.
24 and a half tons.

I just ran the calc on a 1 3/4 ram, 3 tons. Oh boy. What it lacks in pressure it might make up in IMPACT! as it would more pretty fast with a 11 gpm pump.

I would say that a 4" cylinder is the lower practical limit (maybe a 3.5 if pressure is around 3000 psi).

My $0.04 worth
-Pat

1 3/4"ram

Sorry for the confusion. I am looking at a 4" bore, 24" stroke and 1 3/4" shaft. I had my terms confused. I plan on coupling it with a 16gpm pump and a 8 hp engine. I was told the tank is small and I should get at least a 10 gal tank. Any body know where another supply other than Northern Tool for tanks?

Millman

That will work

8hp and the 16 gpm pump will work fine. I would also consider the 13.5 as it is cheaper, but a little slower. It would load the engine less.

For a tank, I tend to fabricate. Larger is better, to a degree. It really depends on how long you are going to run the machine. I have seen a 3 1/2 gallon running a 13.5 gpm pump. Not the right thing to do.... but it works.

I have one with a 16 pump with about 15 gallon tank. It barely warms up after an hour. Overkill?

-Pat

Tanks for the info.

:cheers: I was just on the timberwolf site and their TW5 has a 22GPM with a 15 gal tank. So I guess a 10 gal would do fine. Also we got the Rod back in the Cylinder with no damage. I really hate to give up the cylinder, so I may get a bigger engine if this one gets too slow. Hope to have everything in place before the logs come. So far we have a little over $900 in the beast once I buy the Tank. Got the 16gmp pump new on e-bay for $99. I keep you posted.

Millman

Millman,

30Wt. oil is fine for the system, but in cold weather it could be a problem.

Milky Hydraulic Fluid has two causes.

1. Air entering the system

2. Water emulsified in the system.

You stated the cylinder ran very jerky. hmmmm. Any chance you have ice in your lines or tank? Suction strainer covered in gunk is a great place to check.

Are the suction lines loose, or could be sucking air? That's the only place it can be.

Joe

Back