Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outstanding job Mark I been curious about this saw, too bad a rim set up can't be located rims seem to smooth things out a little, has anyone tried 3/8 low profile on this saw.
I had to comment on the safety chain issue I usually don't use it but I have been running and working on saws since I was young I have my personal preferences. However I got what I thought was a good buy on some stihl safety chain didn't take me long to realize this deal wasn't such a deal. I got it to cut but I modified the heck out of the rakers or more to the point I removed the assistant rakers with a dremmel then it would cut, I will never buy safety chain again because of this experience.
I was a fan of the 4620 I had one that I kept in my truck and you do use them more then you would think. Problem was someone decided they needed it more then I did and stole it out of my truck. I was looking for a replacement this seems a good candidate, I like that Poulan has uppedthere displacement it would be too much to hope that they might someday produce a 70cc saw with similar price considerations, actually it would just be cool to be able to get large displacement Poulans again I been a long time Poulan fan. Been searching for a piston and cylinder for a 5200 for 2 years now.
Again great job we should have you do a whole thing here on reviewing new saws. No biased, and no BS thank you!!!

Outstanding job Mark I been curious about this saw, too bad a rim set up can't be located rims seem to smooth things out a little, has anyone tried 3/8 low profile on this saw.
QUOTE]

if you look through this thread, you'll find the answer to the rim sprocket set up you're looking for;)
lo pro is too small for this saw. it shouldn't even be considered. dumb idea.

QUOTE]

if you look through this thread, you'll find the answer to the rim sprocket set up you're looking for;)

Now I wouldn't say that exactly!!!:D

Hi Mike!

Just got one a couple of days ago from fleabay, and all that was wrong was the brake was engaged where the cover wouldnt go over the clutch. Finally stoped raining so gonna try it out in some wood here in a few mins. Seems like a nice saw for home owners.

again 325 rim set up on 5020 :laugh:

325502038545001_zps10d2ea1b.jpg

3citestsaws008_zpsaa490b47.jpg

3citestsaws005_zpsd90b94b6.jpg

Just got one a couple of days ago from fleabay, and all that was wrong was the brake was engaged where the cover wouldnt go over the clutch. Finally stoped raining so gonna try it out in some wood here in a few mins. Seems like a nice saw for home owners.

Hey neighbor!
Where the heck have you been for the last couple of years???

Mike

QUOTE]

First off I don't deal with small chain very much, and I was under the impression that was what 3/8 low profile was developed for, secondly I like this thread, Third I have shown you no disrespect so what gives you the right to come off like this? If you have some problem with me I'll give you my name phone number and address come on by I am positive I can help you pull that bug outta your butt!

First off I don't deal with small chain very much, and I was under the impression that was what 3/8 low profile was developed for, secondly I like this thread, Third I have shown you no disrespect so what gives you the right to come off like this? If you have some problem with me I'll give you my name phone number and address come on by I am positive I can help you pull that bug outta your butt!

:laugh::laugh: OOOOOOH WHAAAAAA!:cry: another tough guy picking fights over the interweb:laugh:
i told you excatly what you wanted to hear. and told you exactly what i thought of your 'idea' of using lo pro on this saw. if that's insulting to you, you need to sell the saw, and go find a knitting forum where they all talk about feelings and good karma. and let the big boys do the work with the dangerous hurty hurty tools.
like i said, lo pro is a half assed idea on this saw, go back through this thread and LOOOOOOOK for the posts. get off yer ar$e and do your own leg work instead of whining and crying about somebody hurting your feelings.

:laugh::laugh: OOOOOOH WHAAAAAA!:cry: another tough guy picking fights over the interweb:laugh:
i told you excatly what you wanted to hear. and told you exactly what i thought of your 'idea' of using lo pro on this saw. if that's insulting to you, you need to sell the saw, and go find a knitting forum where they all talk about feelings and good karma. and let the big boys do the work with the dangerous hurty hurty tools.
like i said, lo pro is a half assed idea on this saw, go back through this thread and LOOOOOOOK for the posts. get off yer ar$e and do your own leg work instead of whining and crying about somebody hurting your feelings.

And like I said, that isn't exactly right.
I just switched my 346 over to low pro and from what I've seen, I like it.
It just depends on what "low pro" you put on it.

Mike

I wonder.

.325 nk. Wonder if that would help speed things up. Ran mine yesterday, and granted it's not a 346xp but cuts good, and never missed a beat. Gonna do some tweaking here and there to see what it can really do. ;)

rms61moparman;4496365 And like I said said:
I have also done it in the past. found absolutely no reason for it. .325 and reg. 3/8" works better. keeps the saw in it's powerband. not screaming it's guts out or having to push like hell on the saw to cut nicely. why cut slower and work harder? let alone strength and wear....
it's easier to do it the right way with the right parts.

Last edited:
I have also done it in the past. found absolutely no reason for it. .325 and reg. 3/8" works better. keeps the saw in it's powerband. not screaming it's guts out or having to push like hell on the saw to cut nicely. why cut slower and work harder? let alone strength and wear....
it's easier to do it the right way with the right parts.

Not sure if you know it or not, but Stihl recently changed the face of low pro completely.
The 63PS is NOT your fathers low pro.
I'll know better after more testing but so far it looks like it is going to be super!

Mike

I always live by this rule.

If you dig it, do it. If you dig it alot, do it twice. - Jim Croce

So the consensus is that the new 5020 is better with a different bar and chain combo. Without changing sprockets, is there a saw that has readily available bar and chain combos that will interchange with this saw? In other words, will a B&C for a Husky 346xp interchange. Bolt right on? If not perhaps someone can give me a link count for your typical 16" bar.

Back