Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, mine is the craftsman, it's the same saw, I set mine at 13000 with a tach and with my homemade tool it's hard to tell how far out the screw is. I did take the screen out.

John

Last edited:
Is the new Craftsman 50cc the same as this...i assume so ...also are you guys taking the exhaust screen out and what are you setting the high carb screw at - i had to lean mine out a tad

The spark-arrester screen is there to trap glowing chunks of carbon that might be tossed, and really pizz off Smokey by burning down his abode.

Betcha can't measure any power difference, anyhow.

You must have one in place on federal property, and ditto some states (e.g. ME) anywhere, for like 30+ years now.

All my saws have one, and even then sometimes a spark slips by. Gotta really watch that in the moisture-starved west.

You adjust High carb needle to get 2-stroking in the cut with some 4-stroking when you lift, keeping @WOT. Can't get it better than that. Essentially what "Auto-Tune" does automatically.

I like the oiler on the 5020. Rather have oil on the bar then like stihl oilers. :rock:

I had put my new 20" set up on the 5020 that came with it and thought about it now. I didnt like the 20" 3/8 set up on my 550xp so why in the world would I put a 20" on the 5020 :msp_scared:. Going back out to put the 16" 3/8 set up back on and call it 5016 again. :laugh:

This thing isn't just using oil -- it's leaking it!

Oh really, where is it leaking from? Like you were told already if you leave them set idling they will continue to put out oil and they will set and leak for a while till all the extra has run off.

When using the saws I see no extra oil on them,.

If you do indeed have a problem, use the 2 year warranty and get it fixed. No biggie.

My 5020, which I've used several times, is putting out too much oil to the bar. Is there any way to adjust this?

I will have quite a few more comments about this saw and some pix later.

Dave Jenkins

That saw does not have adjustable oilier, and Generally ,saws of that caliber do not have adjustable oiliers ,

Better get em dang cheap, like less then $100 or you might as well just go buy one with a warranty.

I found one on CL this week, but no price. I emailed the guy and he replied $200. I didn't bother to respond. A few hours later he dropped his price to $195. I said I could buy it new for less and that I would give him $100 if no one else took it. He then dropped the price again to "$170 cash now."

Made me wonder if he is a clueless druggie trying to sell a stolen saw for a fix....

Thanks to you guys, I'm going to Lowes now to get one. (Can't say I wasn't warned this would happened if I started spending time on AS. I just didn't expect it to happen so quickly!)

See my Need Gas Advice ASAP thread here in the Chainsaw Forum.

A pawn shop near me had the Craftsman version of the PP5020AV, missing the top cover, for $60.00 "Clearance Priced" a few months back. I should stop in to see if they still have it.

A pawn shop near me had the Craftsman version of the PP5020AV, missing the top cover, for $60.00 "Clearance Priced" a few months back. I should stop in to see if they still have it.

If its just the small cover over the carb & sparkplug I'd go for it, Sears has parts pretty cheap.
I they still have it after some months they'l take $40 for it.

John

If its just the small cover over the carb & sparkplug I'd go for it, Sears has parts pretty cheap.
I they still have it after some months they'l take $40 for it.

John

If I bought it, even at $60.00, I'd use it for trade or pass it on for cost because I bought the same Craftsman model complete with case & scrench from a small building supply warehouse for a hair under $60.00. They had many pallets of Craftsman trimmers, blowers, & chainsaws, but they are now out of business. The only thing I found wrong with mine is the chain was on backwards.

Latest posts

Back