Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If need was in the equation I'd have about 40 less saws. But I really do think I need one of these. I can justify it with some kind of BS I'm sure.

:)

Look out, over yonder!!! Zombies!! BRANESSS!!!!!!

Man, every boy needs a PP5020AV in case of zombies!

That's a mooooooot point

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Excellent thread Mark. Picked one up yesterday for 162$. Gonna try it out today : )

Excellent thread Mark. Picked one up yesterday for 162$. Gonna try it out today : )

Good price.

Safety man at work picked one up last week after I recommended one to him after he was asking which one to buy for some storm cleanup and once in a while firewood work.

I checked it out for him and found it to be a bit lean on the low side and it took about 1/8 a turn rich to fix it. I have now had 4 of them I'm my hands and two were just right out of the box and two were a little lean on the low side.

No complaints from any if the owners at all, there very pleased so far.

I returned the first one this morning because it constantly dripped oil. The second one does too but not quite as bad. Is this common ?

did anyone woods port the PP5020 yet?

I don't recall a reference to that yet or a writeup with pics and vids. It should happen though. I believe it has been suggested numerous times as a buildoff saw, but..those guys like big saws, hotrods.

I am finally seeing them used and starting to be cheaper on CL, but not close enough distance wise or cheap enough for me to get one. I do free to 10 bucks on modern poulans, I would go 20 on a used one needing not much and in decent shape with acceptable bar and chain, etc., but that's it. I have stacks of saws now, don't need to spend a lot to have "enough" saws. I really can't afford new saws, even if they are "just" 200, that's actually a couple of jacksons more than a week's gross income for me...or, how I like to think of it, a lot of dog and catfood, go through around 50-60 clams a week there for the rescue critters here.

I made one exception to my "no more new saws" regimen in the last 3 years, but that was the TSC husky blowout when they went to johnnyred, which is still virgin, and keeping it that way, just a little 435, which I got even cheaper then those online "refurbs" by a lot, the local manager likes me and had held one back and I didn't know it until I asked...thought they were all gone when I went in there, nope, backroom special...thought that was a nice gesture..

I returned the first one this morning because it constantly dripped oil. The second one does too but not quite as bad. Is this common ?

Those oilers put out a lot of oil and there will be a substantial amount of oil to run off of it for a while when shut off. I don't think there is any actual problems with oil leaking any other place on them.

Just part of the beast. If you think that's a problem, just be glad you didn't pay over $800 like I did for a new Dolmar that will leak like hell for a month or when the oil tank runs dry when shut off. At least the 5020 will stop leaking when the residual oil has dripped off of it.

just bought a 5020 at lowes $152 because of the reviews. I see the biggest complaint is the chain without having to read 52 pages what is the best replacement chain for the saw. I do sharpen my own with a file and some times with my elcheapo HF electric sharpner.

just bought a 5020 at lowes $152 because of the reviews. I see the biggest complaint is the chain without having to read 52 pages what is the best replacement chain for the saw. I do sharpen my own with a file and some times with my elcheapo HF electric sharpner.

That question is an octopus.
The more you roll it around the more legs you will find.
The simple answer is Oregon LGX or LPX, if you want to stay with the 3/8ths full chisel.
Others will say Stihl RSC.
If you are going to convert the saw to .325 chain, I like the Oregon 20LP real well, and I understand the Woodland Pro makes a good .325 chain.

There will be myriad answers to your question depending on what you're cutting needs are.

Hardwood/softwood
clean/dirty
brush clearing/felling firewood
heavy usage/light homeowner use

The list goes on and on.

Mike

yeah see I am a newbie when it comes to chainsaws. I am just looking for an easy to find chain that will perform good in all woods and conditions not really looking to change bars or anything yet just looking for a good performing all around chain. Any chance on a quick breakdown of chains for a newbie???

yeah see I am a newbie when it comes to chainsaws. I am just looking for an easy to find chain that will perform good in all woods and conditions not really looking to change bars or anything yet just looking for a good performing all around chain. Any chance on a quick breakdown of chains for a newbie???

Did you look in the stickies up above? That's what "stickies" on any forum are for. Here is a basic chainsaw FAQ or frequently asked question thread. It will have a plethora of information you could use. Including about chains.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw-stickies/148248.htm

3/8 pitch, .050 gauge, 70 drive links..... I called chainsaw r he set me up. they really like a 16" bar, they use a small husky mount A095
mine got a 16" bar and never went back to the 20" if you let them idle they continue to pump oil when they run even if the chain isnt turning the pump is driven off the crank not the clutch. happy sawing:msp_biggrin:

They are still over 200 at the lowes around my house.

Well Lowes price match's so they price matched Menards who has it on sale for $179.00 then took an extra 10% off . I know menards and tractor supply both have them for $179 right now so if you have one with in 50 miles of a lowes they have to price match + 10%.

You are right i did not look at the sticky's I should have dumb me. I just figured with everybody on this thread trying this same saw somebody might have come up with a good big box available chain that was better than the stock one.

Well Lowes price match's so they price matched Menards who has it on sale for $179.00 then took an extra 10% off . I know menards and tractor supply both have them for $179 right now so if you have one with in 50 miles of a lowes they have to price match + 10%.

You are right i did not look at the sticky's I should have dumb me. I just figured with everybody on this thread trying this same saw somebody might have come up with a good big box available chain that was better than the stock one.

'good chain' and 'big box' don't go together.

Back