Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problems at all . . .

I've been using my 5020 without any problems whatsoever. It splits time evenly with my 031 for the lighter stuff. Going on a year of what I would call moderate use. The sprocket is showing some wear and it will need a new one, probably berfore the end of summer.

It's probably covered somewhere in this encylopedic thread but I don't think I'll live long enough to go through the whole thing, so here's a question - Is there a clutch drum - 3/8" rim sprocket combination that works for the 5020?

No TSC for canucks. I think I saw them for $239 ish here.

we have em. one nearest me is in brockville. the second nearest is an hour away in kemptville. they did have some of the 5020's a year or so ago. they were asking $289 when canadian tire was selling them for $279 regular and $229 on sale.

While at the Iowa gtg, Jim asked me to check the carb tune on his 5020 as he said it had never been touched since new.

I got my carb tool out, started the saw and run it a bit. I then seen that it was already in good tune so I put the carb tool away unused. ;)

we have em. one nearest me is in brockville. the second nearest is an hour away in kemptville. they did have some of the 5020's a year or so ago. they were asking $289 when canadian tire was selling them for $279 regular and $229 on sale.

I did not know that. I think it was canadian tire that had them for $239.

Chris, how bout I buy one down here and send it up to yah?! What's the deal on the shipping ect. Do they hassle yah? Dunno never shipped to Canada?

By the time I paid for the shipping Bobby I could buy one here. It aint cheap to ship to Canada. But thanks for the thought. I'll get one sooner or later. Lord knows I don't really need another saw. :)

I'm new to this site and just spent hours reading up on everything... (whew)

I need a new chainsaw after my old one crapped out. Actually read almost every page of this thread (I must be nuts). However, I'm not your typical AS enthusiast... I'm your typical homeowner and a chainsaw's worst nightmare. With that being said, I can't spend too much on a new chainsaw, but I need one and I'm looking for a good value to do the job I need to do ($200-$300). I need to cut up some fallen trees that are anywhere from 10"-24" wide, then limb them, and cut up for firewood. On a typical yr, I would cut up maybe 1-2 cords per yr. Not a lot. I'd like something with an 18" bar which is what my old chainsaw (Poulan) has.

I liked what I read about the 5020 but would like an 18" bar on it instead... hence the 4818. What do you experts think about either of those? If I got the 5020, I'd want to put on an 18" bar if there is one that fit as well as a new chain. Which brings me to the 4818...

Is it the 5020 with an 18" bar? Do you think the 4818 would be comparable in quality to the 5020? Currently they're both the same price. If you think there's a comparable or better chainsaw for the same price in another brand, I'd love to hear it.

Is the 5020 still holding up as a good value? I come from a product development profession, so I know that after a yr or so out on the market, products can change because they cost reduce stuff, make things cheaper, yet it will still have the same product number while the parts inside could be very different.

Poulan® Pro PP 5020 AV 20 in.
Poulan® Pro PP 5020 AV 20 in. Chainsaw - Tractor Supply Online Store

Poulan PRO PP4818 18 in. 48 cc
Poulan PRO PP4818 18 in. 48 cc Gas Chainsaw-967198201 at The Home Depot

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. Sorry I'm not a CAD guy... but I can appreciate your enthusiasm. Reminds me of some of my interests I have been involved with on similar levels. I'm kinda leaning towards the 4818 at least until I can see them both of them together.

W.

Thanks for your reply Stephen C...

I actually went to Home Depot yesterday where they had both of them side by side. Nice to be able to compare them that way. Didn't see an EPA tag, but wasn't looking for it... Both looked like the exact same powerhead, at least externally. 2cc difference? Took off the air filter cover and peeked in... both look the same but that doesn't mean anything. 2 store tags on the 5020, one said 50cc, the other one said 48cc. Hmmm... I would assume all other components are the same in both? They did look well made.

Oddly enough, both had chains on them while all other chainsaws had none. I was able to heft both with real operating weight. Can't say I was really happy with the feel of them. They felt heavy. Tags said 14.9 lbs on the 5020, 14.2 lbs on the 4818. Gave me just enough hesitance to not buy either one despite the good price. Is the weight of these on the heavy side? Or is that pretty much average for something in their class? Anyone have real world experience with the 4818?

Having second thoughts about the Poulan which leads me to an Echo 520 (which I think is lighter) that someone has used... More money (asking $300) but says its in like new condition, 20" bar and chain, striped down, cleaned and inspected, new rings installed. Wondering if spending another $100 is worth it. I read up on Echo 520's for MM and carb adjustments. Any thoughts for comparison if I'm spending $300?

Too much to think about but AboristSite is awesome for all this help and info. You guys are great! Thanks!

Thanks for your reply Stephen C...

I actually went to Home Depot yesterday where they had both of them side by side. Nice to be able to compare them that way. Didn't see an EPA tag, but wasn't looking for it... Both looked like the exact same powerhead, at least externally. 2cc difference? Took off the air filter cover and peeked in... both look the same but that doesn't mean anything. 2 store tags on the 5020, one said 50cc, the other one said 48cc. Hmmm... I would assume all other components are the same in both? They did look well made.

Oddly enough, both had chains on them while all other chainsaws had none. I was able to heft both with real operating weight. Can't say I was really happy with the feel of them. They felt heavy. Tags said 14.9 lbs on the 5020, 14.2 lbs on the 4818. Gave me just enough hesitance to not buy either one despite the good price. Is the weight of these on the heavy side? Or is that pretty much average for something in their class? Anyone have real world experience with the 4818?

Having second thoughts about the Poulan which leads me to an Echo 520 (which I think is lighter) that someone has used... More money (asking $300) but says its in like new condition, 20" bar and chain, striped down, cleaned and inspected, new rings installed. Wondering if spending another $100 is worth it. I read up on Echo 520's for MM and carb adjustments. Any thoughts for comparison if I'm spending $300?

Too much to think about but AboristSite is awesome for all this help and info. You guys are great! Thanks!

I think you were looking at shipping weights. I posted the real world weights early on in this thread if you care to look. No there not the lightest 50cc saw out there but then at the price point there at any one would be crazy to expect it.

The Echo is probably lighter, but then again it's probably more money as well.

It's the 520 a current model? I don't give much attention to those.

I think you were looking at shipping weights. I posted the real world weights early on in this thread if you care to look. No there not the lightest 50cc saw out there but then at the price point there at any one would be crazy to expect it.

The Echo is probably lighter, but then again it's probably more money as well.

It's the 520 a current model? I don't give much attention to those.

I did reread the post and found the real wt you posted = 16.8 lbs w/fuel & oil. Thanks! Something just didn't feel right when I was holding them even without fuel and oil. I like the price, don't like the weight. I'll be cutting more small wood than bigger wood as well as doing lots of limbing (?).

Don't know about the 520 as being current... I don't think it's a grey model but newer. I've sent questions to the guy who does this as a part-time biz. Wonder if he is on AS. I mentioned the MM and carb tuning for it. Waiting for answers. Thanks much.

If anybody wants to try one of these saws for cheap there is one on Fleabay right now. The sellers says he cut up a few trees with it and doesn't need it anymore. Its at $85.00 + 24.05 shipping with no bidders and 2 days to go. It's listed as "Poulan Pro 20 in 50 cc chainsaw" and is supposed to come with an extra chain.

If anybody wants to try one of these saws for cheap there is one on Fleabay right now. The sellers says he cut up a few trees with it and doesn't need it anymore. Its at $85.00 + 24.05 shipping with no bidders and 2 days to go. It's listed as "Poulan Pro 20 in 50 cc chainsaw" and is supposed to come with an extra chain.

His shipping is 63.00 not 24.

I did reread the post and found the real wt you posted = 16.8 lbs w/fuel & oil. Thanks! Something just didn't feel right when I was holding them even without fuel and oil. I like the price, don't like the weight. I'll be cutting more small wood than bigger wood as well as doing lots of limbing (?).

Don't know about the 520 as being current... I don't think it's a grey model but newer. I've sent questions to the guy who does this as a part-time biz. Wonder if he is on AS. I mentioned the MM and carb tuning for it. Waiting for answers. Thanks much.

I've had a 5020 for a year and change so far. Weight ready to run is a tad over 15 lbs. I hold a saw with both hands, so that's no problem here- weight helps for bucking besides.

The 20" bar is actually 19" by the tape. No problem either way here, since it works fine for most felling & bucking here, and just gets it done. Not best suited for limbing and cutting smaller stuff.

That's what lightweight saws are for- much less fatiguing for limbing deciduous trees, and much safer.

That's also what a 2-saw plan is about. You WILL get one stuck if you're really trying. It will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe you should be looking at even smaller saws if you think the 5020 is way too heavy. 12lbs 6oz is over a full pound less then the Stihl 029 super which isn't much more displacement at 55cc and Stihl sells the heck out of them without much complaints.

Dropping to a 16" bar and chain will make the saw feel much lighter and the balance will be more centered. It will also cut faster.

I've bought tons of stuff off ebay including my last 4 computers and ipad. But, I'm just a little leary of buying something like a used chainsaw online. Could be a pos that looks nice but the owner ran it into the ground. Although I have been looking at the Echo 400 (new ones). They're going for about $250 w/shipping.

If I knew more about chainsaws, I'd consider buying used. I just don't know what I'm looking at right now and what the value is.

Latest posts

Back