Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you should be looking at even smaller saws if you think the 5020 is way too heavy. 12lbs 6oz is over a full pound less then the Stihl 029 super which isn't much more displacement at 55cc and Stihl sells the heck out of them without much complaints.

Well it's not waaay too heavy, but I was a little surprised by the weight. You guys who cut all the time are used to using something like this probably. Me, I got to get rid of my girly arms and build up some chainsaw manliness... :msp_biggrin: ...just kidding. However, I'm not sure the 5020 meets my needs after looking at it. If anything, I would get the 4818. My old chainsaw was a 40cc with 18" bar, so something like that with a little more power would be good. Was looking at the Echo CS400... going new on ebay for about $250 as well as what I can get from Stihl and Husky.

Waynoee, new CS-400's go for $200.00 or so on EBay all the time. I think alot of dealers are overstocked on them.

...Most of the displays I have seen at the big box stores place the saws at the worse possible elevation for feeling the weight. I am 6 foot and 220. The first time I picked up a 6400 Makita I thought what the heck. This thing is unusable. Then I realized I don't often use one chest high.

Agree... Went to Lowes just to check what they have and handle some Huskys. Shelf was chest height and wire security cord prevented me from bringing it to useable height. Went to Home Depot because they had the Poulan 5020 and 4818 in stock side by side... Neither was tethered. I was able to lift and play with it however I wanted. I didn't think there was much difference between the 5020 and 4818. At least not as much as I expected.

Waynoee, new CS-400's go for $200.00 or so on EBay all the time. I think alot of dealers are overstocked on them.
Well that's better than what I found. The CS400 is pretty similar to what I'm trying to replace except probably a better saw all around.

For some reason, I am intrigued by a used Echo 520 about an hour away from me... Guy works on chainsaws as hobby/part-time job for himself. Says he has this:
I have a perfect like new Echo CS 520 for sale' It has a like new 20" bar and chain. This saw was striped down, cleaned and inspected. New rings installed. The saw was in nice condition when traded in. I don't think the saw had more then a few tanks of fuel run through it. I take in trades and do repairs. All saw's come with a 30 day warranty.

Wants $300. Is it worth it? and what should I look for when I inspect it?

Agree... Went to Lowes just to check what they have and handle some Huskys. Shelf was chest height and wire security cord prevented me from bringing it to useable height. Went to Home Depot because they had the Poulan 5020 and 4818 in stock side by side... Neither was tethered. I was able to lift and play with it however I wanted. I didn't think there was much difference between the 5020 and 4818. At least not as much as I expected.

Well that's better than what I found. The CS400 is pretty similar to what I'm trying to replace except probably a better saw all around.

For some reason, I am intrigued by a used Echo 520 about an hour away from me... Guy works on chainsaws as hobby/part-time job for himself. Says he has this:
I have a perfect like new Echo CS 520 for sale' It has a like new 20" bar and chain. This saw was striped down, cleaned and inspected. New rings installed. The saw was in nice condition when traded in. I don't think the saw had more then a few tanks of fuel run through it. I take in trades and do repairs. All saw's come with a 30 day warranty.

$300 for a used 520? Yeah ok, what kind of warranty comes with that? :ices_rofl:

That sounds awful high for a used 15 year old or so Echo. I think there are better 50cc saws out there for that money.

$300 for a used 520? Yeah ok, what kind of warranty comes with that? :ices_rofl:

Hmmm, so I'm guessing he's asking too much? Giving 30 day warranty. Maybe I should stick to new...
His latest reply to my questions:

Do you happen to have any pics of the Echo 520? What yr was it built? Is it a 20" bar? And you say it's like new?

Hi, no pictures, looks like new, runs like new is in perfect condition, has 20" bar & chain, Its about 3 years old

If what he says is true, what is the going price for the 520?

this is the "used" 152 that I bought from a member here. I paid his asking price. ($100) You can get the larger version of this saw, a 156 with a 5 year warrantee on clearance from Menards for $30 more than the rebuilt saw you are considering.

That's a nice looking Efco! Looks like new. That's what I would like to find! Menard's?...

I would be concerned that a chainsaw guy would tear down a low hour saw and replace the ring. Something not right about that.

I had the same concern... Wondering if someone would catch that. Could it be the saw was run straight from the box and run too lean, not adjusted properly?

That's a nice looking Efco! Looks like new. That's what I would like to find! Menard's?...

I had the same concern... Wondering if someone would catch that. Could it be the saw was run straight from the box and run too lean, not adjusted properly?

You are fretting too much, You are already up to 10 posts, so you have been exposed to the sickness. Just buy a saw, you are going to want another one. It will not matter if you spend $200 or $900, you will buy another one. I came here trying to get a Poulan Pro carb problem fixed, I am now grinding cylinders with a dremel. I have bought new from a box store and a dealer. I have bought off E-bay, I have picked up at garage sales and flea markets. Even free saws, cost money for rebuild parts, filters, bars and chains. Just do it.... Just buy a saw, have fun cutting and running, make your wife mad, and tell us what you think of what you bought. Then ask us what you should buy next:msp_smile:

Last edited:
He speaks truth. "Free" machinery costs way more than new in terms of time and aggravation. Pretty soon you'll decide its a smart idea to pick up a couple of complete parts saws for less than actually buying the parts you need. Wrong! You'll find they don't really need that much to get going, which necessitates buying parts or more parts saws. Then, people will hear you fix chainsaws and will start giving you old saws, which means you now have more saws to fix up or you can fix up the saws which you previously acquired for parts. See how this happens? 90% of my recreation time the last month has been spent working on "free"machinery.

You are fretting too much, You are already up to 10 posts, so you have been exposed to the sickness. Just buy a saw, you are going to want another one...

Ohhh NNOOOooooooooooooo....!!! How did that happen?... I got sucked in. You guys are evil. All I did was ask about a Poulan 5020...

I have the PP5020 as well i canned the 20 inch bar for a 16 inch and it really screams...outcuts the Husky 455 imo

The truth must be hurtin on you? :msp_biggrin:

Don't worry about it, you don't need one anymore then I do. Then again need usually don't matter does it?

If need was in the equation I'd have about 40 less saws. But I really do think I need one of these. I can justify it with some kind of BS I'm sure.

:)

Back