Brand new 550xp stumbles & dies after idling for few seconds between cuts. What the..??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 550 in late June, from a high volume dealer (not online). It has been a great saw so far. I would assume the 2016 models haven't had any updates?

A friend of mine bought one in mid-July from a "power sports" type dealer where, well, I doubt loggers go there, unlike my preferred local shop. At the end of a job we worked he said it was getting hard to start, which seemed strange, but it was the last day on the job and we went our separate ways across state lines.

So I guess I will be double checking the S/N# of each saw and wondering, a little ... because I'm thinking about buying another one on Thursday.

I think 2016 week 10 #482 & up will have the AT-12 carb. Glad yours worked out for you, I really like the saw.

Well it turns out I have a 2016 05.

So I think that means I have the newest piston & cylinder, but not the AT-12 carb.

My copy of this saw has run great ever since I bought it. Ran very nicely again today. I "broke it in" at 2,500 - 3,000 feet (on the same jobsite, on the same day - those were some mighty tiring days) in Virginia for a solid month and ran it at a fair bit this week at 600 feet elevation at home in Michigan.

I am a little more worried about the one my friend bought. He was 100% new to saws and it is his first chainsaw owned. He used mine for several days until both of my back-up saws went down (again) and he stepped up and bought his own. On my recommendation, he bought the same 550XP. I figured on the 4th model year everything should be 100% perfect.

He would say occasionally that he thought mine ran better but I never ran his to find out. He did say at the end it was hard to start and I don't know what to make of it. He is a hard-headed individual who ignores advice on some things. I could not convince him to just let the saw idle in between cuts so he was starting it dozens of times per day. He did follow my instructions on safe operation at least.

Anyway I would feel pretty bad if his first saw starts needing updates at the shop, etc. I won't be able to get the S/N # from him for a few weeks though, he is away from home right now.

Not sure what to think about these (potential?) issues with a very popular saw. I need to buy another one on Thursday and if the S/N # isn't up above 2016 10 I might re-think and go with a 562 this time. I really want one but can't really afford the extra $$$ right now, and don't quite actually need a 60cc saw for my upcoming contracts.

Just to clear up any potential confusion on my post stating the dealer wanted my refund money plus $300 for a 562: I realize that it may have sounded as though this dealer was trying to rip me off. He wasn't. I only paid $510 for my 550. So, that said and adding tax to the equation, $300 was in line for a MSRP. I apologize if my post came across in a way that was bashing the dealer. Wasn't my intention. As an amends of sorts, I mistakenly believed that Husqvarna might work with me a bit to get a discounted 562 in my hands. This was planted in my head having read some where that this is how Husqvarna dealt with another case like mine.

Any how, I still haven't received a refund. :( Hoping it comes soon!

Finally got refunded for the 550 and purchased the new 261 with 16" bar and chisel chain. I'm still taken aback by the way Husqvarna chose to deal with this. Confused. Disappointed. And just a little upset. I really wanted that 550 to work for me. Except for the idle issue (before the other issue presented itself after replacing the carb), that saw ran and handled like an absolute champ! Like their motorcycles, I loved the esthetics of that thing too. Beautifully designed tool!

But, even though there are things I prefer on the 550 over this new 261....the 261 starts easy and has run perfect (though I have less than a tank through it). And I have the feeling that if something does go wrong, I can count on Stihl.

A few other things here. Sunfish mentioned in this thread that some of this sounded like a dealer problem. I can only state the facts: 1) prior to working on my saw, the dealer hadn't worked on an Autotune before and didn't have the software or knowledge to use it. Initially, the dealer was eager to work with me. After a while, his frustrations became evident. Though nice throughout, he did tell me it was costing him a lot of time and Husqvarna was compensating him little. It was very clear he wanted to be done with my saw and its problems.

So....as I see it, this wasn't just a dealer problem, if at all...in the big picture. This has been a well known issue with these saws for years now. And yet, Husqvarna hasn't got it remedied. That's a fact. Secondly, in my opinion, Husqvarna should mandate diagnostic and repair training for anyone who is going to sell and/or work on Autotune equipped models. Lastly, I'm not sure it's a great idea to sell these saws via the Net. I bought it from Baileys to save $100. After the issue arose, it didn't make financial sense for me to ship it there and back when a dealer was right up the road. But then the dealer gets caught in the mess and makes pittance. I can't blame them for not wanting to deal the mess created by A: someone who chose to save money to buy on-line and B: work for Husqvarna for pennies on the dollar.

To sum this up, I feel let down by Husqvarna....and it has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I will think long and hard before I buy another Husqvarna. And, I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend the company now. Maybe at a later date....if they are able to turn things around. Until then, I have 5 months of catch up work to do and a great saw to do it with.

PS. I hope you are listening, Husqvarna! Thanks also to bsnelling for the heads-up on this newest 261. I may have overlooked it otherwise and been stuck with another problematic 550.

stihl.JPG

Finally got refunded for the 550 and purchased the new 261 with 16" bar and chisel chain. I'm still taken aback by the way Husqvarna chose to deal with this. Confused. Disappointed. And just a little upset. I really wanted that 550 to work for me. Except for the idle issue (before the other issue presented itself after replacing the carb), that saw ran and handled like an absolute champ! Like their motorcycles, I loved the esthetics of that thing too. Beautifully designed tool!

But, even though there are things I prefer on the 550 over this new 261....the 261 starts easy and has run perfect (though I have less than a tank through it). And I have the feeling that if something does go wrong, I can count on Stihl.

A few other things here. Sunfish mentioned in this thread that some of this sounded like a dealer problem. I can only state the facts: 1) prior to working on my saw, the dealer hadn't worked on an Autotune before and didn't have the software or knowledge to use it. Initially, the dealer was eager to work with me. After a while, his frustrations became evident. Though nice throughout, he did tell me it was costing him a lot of time and Husqvarna was compensating him little. It was very clear he wanted to be done with my saw and its problems.

So....as I see it, this wasn't just a dealer problem, if at all...in the big picture. This has been a well known issue with these saws for years now. And yet, Husqvarna hasn't got it remedied. That's a fact. Secondly, in my opinion, Husqvarna should mandate diagnostic and repair training for anyone who is going to sell and/or work on Autotune equipped models. Lastly, I'm not sure it's a great idea to sell these saws via the Net. I bought it from Baileys to save $100. After the issue arose, it didn't make financial sense for me to ship it there and back when a dealer was right up the road. But then the dealer gets caught in the mess and makes pittance. I can't blame them for not wanting to deal the mess created by A: someone who chose to save money to buy on-line and B: work for Husqvarna for pennies on the dollar.

To sum this up, I feel let down by Husqvarna....and it has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I will think long and hard before I buy another Husqvarna. And, I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend the company now. Maybe at a later date....if they are able to turn things around. Until then, I have 4 months of catch up work to do and a great saw to do it with.

PS. I hope you are listening, Husqvarna! Thanks also to bsnelling for the heads-up on this newest 261. I may have overlooked it otherwise and been stuck with another problematic 550.

View attachment 522866

Never any problems with my ported 261. Great saw. You'll enjoy your's!

To sum this up, I feel let down by Husqvarna....and it has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I will think long and hard before I buy another Husqvarna. And, I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend the company now. Maybe at a later date....if they are able to turn things around. Until then, I have 4 months of catch up work to do and a great saw to do it with.

View attachment 522866
I hope you get to enjoy this one. They are a great little saw.

I hope you get to enjoy this one. They are a great little saw.

Hard to say for certain without running them back to back....and I wasn't able to do that.....but, it seems the 550 revved faster. Is that the case? If so, will the 261 be faster to rev with some more time on it? Not a huge deal but it was one of several things I really liked about the 550.

Also, the 550 seemed lighter and maybe a tad easier to maneuver. I kept the bar and chain from the 550 so weighed them and those of the 261's. The bar and chain combined are 4oz heavier on the 261...so maybe that is the difference.... or part of it. I don't know what the true weights of the power heads are but the company specs state the same. Maybe I would feel different about the weight/handling if I got to run them back to back.

Not bashing on the new 261 in any way. Just relaying some observations from memory which may or may not be accurate. Excited to use this saw some more and knock out some work!

Hard to say for certain without running them back to back....and I wasn't able to do that.....but, it seems the 550 revved faster. Is that the case? If so, will the 261 be faster to rev with some more time on it? Not a huge deal but it was one of several things I really liked about the 550.
A muffler mod and a little timing advance will make it more like the 550 in that regards.

A muffler mod and a little timing advance will make it more like the 550 in that regards.

Thanks. I'm hesitant to mod the muffler as I hate to make it much if any louder. Could advancing the timing only do the trick?

Yes. Give it 6-8°.

Thanks! I mistakenly thought all one had to do was move the coil a little. Now that I see it's more involved than that....I'm wondering about the muffler mod only. I just don't want it to get a lot louder. Is this a saw that would see a good noticeable difference without opening the muffler up too much?

This is how I mod them.

21-L.jpg

22-L.jpg

24-L.jpg

25-L.jpg

What I meant; A better dealer knows how to get what's needed from a manufacture. Or would just eat the loss to take care of a customer.

The 261 is a good saw and I likely would have done the same thing if in your shoes.
I would have to have the thing ported, but that's just me.

What I meant; A better dealer knows how to get what's needed from a manufacture. Or would just eat the loss to take care of a customer.

That's a good point. But I wasn't this guys customer since I circumvented him and purchased from Baileys to save the $100. Putting myself in his shoes, I wouldn't have been overly eager to bend over backwards and go above and beyond for me. Now...had I purchased the saw from him, it may (should) have been different. I think Stihl is smart not allowing Internet sales.

That's a good point. But I wasn't this guys customer since I circumvented him and purchased from Baileys to save the $100. Putting myself in his shoes, I wouldn't have been overly eager to bend over backwards and go above and beyond for me. Now...had I purchased the saw from him, it may (should) have been different. I think Stihl is smart not allowing Internet sales.
OK, that explains things and I now remember you stating that. Just an unfortunate situation.

I just had a member pm me about my carb swap. He's got a new carb for his that's on the way. Hope he as better luck than I did.

I post here as his inquiry made me look at this thread to jog my memory. I was so bummed about my experience with Husqvarna that I blocked it from my brain and moved on. Thought I'd add a quick update. Though the 550xp was a touch lighter, a smidgen more nimble, and reved a tiny bit faster, my new 261 has started easily and run perfect every time I have ran it, whether it was at 3'k elev or 6'k and what ever temp, 95 degrees or freezing. Love the 261's filter too and what looks like a more spacious work area when it does require work done to it. Super happy with this saw!

Best of luck, Husqvarna. I would like to consider you again when it comes time to purchase a ~70cc saw.

Back