Campfire Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drive_1305

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What hardwood or mixture would be the ideal campfire wood? I suppose you want it to put out a big bright flame but not burn up too fast and not too hard to split. If your going to cook on it, you might want it to make a good bed of coals.

Any of you guys sell much campfire wood? I've seen it sold in stores around parks before it was pretty expensive.

Drive, my own 2 cents on campfire wood is, start with a good dry birch that has bark on it. You can light it with one match and no paper. As far as cooking it depends on what your cooking. Red meats then your hickory's and white oaks with a dash of cherry add a nice flavor. If white meat then apple and pear with a bit of sugar maple is quite tasty. Then as far as a good flamer then when done cooking add some pine to coals for that good bright fire. As a bonus, when everyone is stuffed to the gills with dinner, when fire boils a pith pocket the pine will pop and shoot little balls of embers into crowd to keep folks awake:blob2: I love a good fire, and we cook most weekend dinners outside over wood someone else wanted "cleaned up".
Now bonfires are another story and I have built many large fires for our entertainment over the last decade. I find that our Serco 7000 is a wonderful log stacker and a invaluable tool for the big ones.

Last edited:
Down here the wood is different, but ironbark (a eucalypt) is about the best burning wood there is. Everything burns OK here though...

Dry, seasoned wood is the way to go to begin with but if you throw on a few big green logs just before you go to sleep, the fire will still be going in the morning.

We use Oak M<esquite n Pecan all good for bbqin and oak burns slo enuff to last a spell or two...

Apple is a good cooking wood with high btu's and a great bed of coals. I use Oak as it is very common here. any real seasoned wood will work just stay awy from real sappy softwoods like pine/ spruce
-mike

OK-
Starting the fire with silver maple and oak (or hickory for cast-iron stomachs) for coals. Throw handfuls of freshly pulled-up (growing fresh) marjoram and thyme beside the coals for subtle flavoring and to intrigue the neighbors. Cook beer-and-onion boiled brats on long forks over the coals with favorite beverages. Served with mustard and maybe saurkraut on buns. After, rebuilding the fire with cedar for fireworks and scent may fail to keep the well-fed awake and aware. Heheh. It doesn't get much better than this.

Gark said:
OK-
Starting the fire with silver maple and oak (or hickory for cast-iron stomachs) for coals. Throw handfuls of freshly pulled-up (growing fresh) marjoram and thyme beside the coals for subtle flavoring and to intrigue the neighbors. Cook beer-and-onion boiled brats on long forks over the coals with favorite beverages. Served with mustard and maybe saurkraut on buns. After, rebuilding the fire with cedar for fireworks and scent may fail to keep the well-fed awake and aware. Heheh. It doesn't get much better than this.

What's your address? I'll bring the beer!

I use anything that I don't want to burn in my woodstove. Right now I have some sugar maple that had ants in it and I didn't want to mix it in with my good wood. I went camping earlier this week and used some. I usually don't cook with wood but you guys are making it sound very enticing.

Danny

dig a pit 18 cubic feet big (3 feet long 2 feet wide and 3 feet deep) start your fire with some kiln dried pine then add enough hardwoods to make a bed of coals 24" deep the length and width of the pit. Grab a nice sized hog say in the 250-375 range and dress him/her. Add banana leaves to cover coals insert apple in mouth of said swine. cover swine with a few more layers of banana leaves and reburry pit. Sit back drinking fruity drink mixed with rum of your flavor for 2-3 hours reverse pit covering technique cut generouse portions of said swine and serve with pleanty of pinapple laden dishes.

dig a pit 18 cubic feet big (3 feet long 2 feet wide and 3 feet deep) start your fire with some kiln dried pine then add enough hardwoods to make a bed of coals 24" deep the length and width of the pit. Grab a nice sized hog say in the 250-375 range and dress him/her. Add banana leaves to cover coals insert apple in mouth of said swine. cover swine with a few more layers of banana leaves and reburry pit. Sit back drinking fruity drink mixed with rum of your flavor for 2-3 hours reverse pit covering technique cut generous portions of said swine and serve with plenty of pineapple laden dishes.

Back