Can trees survive Lightning Strike?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnha

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Went to my in-laws yesterday. They have a lovely oak nicely located to give them afternoon shade. Probably 24" diameter and over 60' tall.

They had a lightning strike it about a week ago, appears to have hit about 12' from the ground, travelled through the roots, literally exploded a paver on their patio some 20 or more feet from the trunk and jumped into the side wall of the house.

The bark is split out, maybe an inch wide from about 12' down to about a foot above the ground. The gouge does not appear to have reached the sapwood. Aside from that the tree looks fine. My advice was for them to consult with an arborist.

I've seen trees that took what appeared to be much worse hits survive. Any opinions? (sorry no pix, forgot the camera)

Sure they can survive a lightening strike.

Sometimes parts will die, sometimes the whole tree dies, sometimes there's a crack thru the tree etc.

The lightening needs to go to ground, takes the path of least resistance. Under the bark is the sapwood, a better conductor as it's wet.

Now the lightening may have burned and killed those living cells. Vascular functioning will stop so parts of the roots and canopy may die. In response the tree will compartmentalize that area and grow new wood over it starting from the healthy tissues at the sides.

So, only time will tell. In the mean time keep up vigour and check periodically for decay and dead roots.

Ekka said:
So, only time will tell.
This "wait and see" response is not responsible, on a valuable tree. Below is an article published in City Trees a few years ago. It's written in honor of Charles Dickens, but it gives a protocol for treatment:

A TALE OF TWO OAK TREES

Lightning struck twice in Wake County, NC last year, and two big oak trees bore the brunt. What happened next tells a tale of Scrooge-like assumptions, and how Great Expectations can go awry.

A white oak grew in an undisturbed area. The blast had torn off a spiraling streak of bark from top to bottom. The arborist saw that the open wound was no more than 12” wide, and tapped the bark on either side of the wound with his rubber mallet to see how much more had been detached from the wood.

The total bark damage at the bottom indicated the tree might be saveable, so the next step was an aerial inspection. He climbed to the top and trimmed away (“traced”) the torn bark on the edges of the wound on his way down. Bark that was sound, yet detached, was stapled back to the wood so it might readhere, shrinking the infection court. The roots on the blasted side were inoculated with mycorrhizal fungi and fertilized.

The tree was nominated for an award in the Meritorious category by a member of the Capital Trees Program. The registered forester who came out to inspect it said “Bah, Humbug!” Nominated trees must be in good condition to receive an award, and the forester assumed all lightning-blasted trees are rendered useless.

Nevertheless, treatment went forward. The arborist removed two of the damaged lead branches from the crown. He sprayed exposed xylem with eucalyptus oil to repel opportunistic woodboring insects. Over 2” of scar tissue has grown over the wound in one season, and the oak leafed out fully next spring. Well on its way to recovery, it was finally granted a Meritorious Award. During the second growing season the callus thickened remarkably and closed over up to two more inches of the xylem. The wood was sprayed once more with botanical repellent.

Four years later the entire wound was sealed over!

The second oak majestically defined the edge of the historic district in Fuquay-Varina. Two years before, the Capital Trees Program had given it an Historic Tree Award. Scant lawn in full sun covered half the root system, and little of the rest was mulched. The lightning damage seemed just slightly wider than the first, so the arborist started treating the wound as before.

Below some old pruning cuts halfway down, a portion of bark over 4’ square was detached. Curiously, it wasn’t near the lightning wound! Insects had entered wounds made by climbing spikes and eaten away the cambium. That climber must have dug in his spikes to keep his balance as he cut, with Great Expectations that those little holes couldn’t possibly hurt that great big tree. Aggravating this injury was the bare ground underneath. Oaks being ring-porous, the roots that were needed to help repair this damaged side of the tree had too many problems of their own to perform that function.

Added to the lightning wound, this human-made injury put the total dead bark area over one-third of the circumference. Despite insect control, fertilization, and, belatedly, mulch, the prognosis was poor. Little scar tissue grows, and half the crown is pale. The tree’s useful years were over, clearly due to the use of climbing spikes and root abuse.

Lightning may someday inflict a Twist-ed scar on your trees, but you can keep storms, disease and insects from picking your urban forest’s pocket. A healthy root environment below organic groundcover costs less than a cup of gruel. The tree provides it for free when it sheds its leaves. That, and lack of damage above the ground, can keep your trees growing great Lightning may scare the Dickens out of you, but it’s nothing to lose all your trees over.

treeseer said:
A TALE OF TWO OAK TREES

Lightning struck twice in Wake County, NC last year, and two big oak trees bore the brunt. What happened next tells a tale of Scrooge-like assumptions, and how Great Expectations can go awry.

Wow, three classic Dickens novels referenced in ony 39 words. Now that deserves a meritous award.:dizzy:

:clap:

treeseer said:
Despite insect control, fertilization, and, belatedly, mulch, the prognosis was poor. Little scar tissue grows, and half the crown is pale. The tree’s useful years were over, clearly due to the use of climbing spikes and root abuse.

It appears the wait and see was responsibly used here too mate!

beowulf343 said:
Ha Ha. I love how it seems that every time a tree dies, it is because of spikes. Lightning did hit this tree, right?:deadhorse:

Lightning hits a lot of trees. Most of them can survive if they are in good condition and get good care. The abused ones are often screwed.

Beowulf, I think you missed this part:

Below some old pruning cuts halfway down, a portion of bark over 4’ square was detached. Curiously, it wasn’t near the lightning wound! Insects had entered wounds made by climbing spikes and eaten away the cambium. That climber must have dug in his spikes to keep his balance as he cut, with Great Expectations that those little holes couldn’t possibly hurt that great big tree.

Ekka said:
So, only time will tell. In the mean time keep up vigour and check periodically for decay and dead roots.

Hmmm. "Keep up the vigour". Maybe that might mean keep it as healthy as possible? Possibly with mulching, or other methods? Hmmmm.

Oh, yeah, That "check periodically" business... What is THAT?

Well, I'm sure convinced! That's irresponsible "do nothing, wait and see"! No doubt about it!

Cmon Mark, take it easy on my mate Eric. the only question I have about his post is about the dead vascular tissue showing up later. It often shows up right away because the bark has been popped off by the boiling beneath. If tapping produces a hollow sound, it's time to act.

Sometimes the sound is not clear, so as Ekka says, you check back later by tapping again, or probing for decay. Hard to tell if you're serious or not; if it sounded like I was slamming his response, I didn't mean to.:censored:

Okay, peace and love. :laugh: Yes, it DID sound like you were slamming him. I didn't think it was fair.

Okey dokey?

BlueRidgeMark said:
I didn't think it was fair. Okey dokey?
Dokey Lokey, but that's a rich one, someone riding up on a white horse to save Ekka. He dishes it out quite avidly--his victimes know that when have been Freid ;) --so he can take it as well, especially when it isn't aimed at him.

Anyway, I hope that johnha will report back with pictures.

Hahaha,

Treeseer didn't bite right away, Thanks Mark.

I forget over here that we predominantly have Eucs, they mainly (along with palms) get hit by lightening. The odd pine does too.

The secondary bugs are a lot more forgiving here, I can pretty much honestly say that I have not in my time seen a tree that has died due to bugs.

Oh, I've seen plenty of bugs finishing the job off but the tree was a long goner before hand.

Now the cutting bark off precisely thing with a box knife etc and tacking lifted bark back on is a very good idea. However I've always seen the tree too long after it was hit. Like I reckon the soonest I've been called out for a look is maybe a week.

But Johnha did write that the tree was only hit 12' up and the bark fissure was a split out 1" wide and not to the sapwood.

Johnha said:
The bark is split out, maybe an inch wide from about 12' down to about a foot above the ground. The gouge does not appear to have reached the sapwood. Aside from that the tree looks fine.

So perhaps a tacking it down might be OK, but I dont know about cutting it off if it's only split out, it may still live, and it may not allowing nasties beneath ... time will tell, but ya cant go wrong with spraying euc oil and keeping the vigour up! :biggrinbounce2:

All's good.

Ekka said:
But Johnha did write that the tree was only hit 12' up and the bark fissure was a split out 1" wide and not to the sapwood.

I've seen many trees in the woods with lightning scars that recovered quite well on their own. Judging by the scars these trees looked like they had 1 to 2" wide splits on the original injury.

Okay, a few pix of the tree. Sorry, the b-i-l doesn't do anything quickly and I'm on vacation with limited internet access. Thanks for looking and any opinions.

looks minor from here, but you really should get someone to climb it and check for detached/blown-out bark in the crown.

The lower scar should be trimmed of shaggy tissue and treated against insects. The roots need help; at least a mulch ring around the tree. Click the link below.

I moved into my house last July. After some serious yard clean up we found this huge old oak with a funny looking seam running down one side. The tree looks like its wrapped in a "bark blanket". It then dawned on us that it had most likely been struck by lightning some time ago. It may be hard to see from the pictures (I'll try to get better ones later), but if you look at the first picture, about 10 feet above Tom's head and to the right where the big dead branch is...it strarts up there and goes all the way to the ground.

This tree is still very healthy and VERY strong! We've had some very heavy winds here this summer and when you watch this tree, the smallest branches all the way at the top barely move.

Back