Chain brake position for chainsaw storage ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Do you have a preference? Is one way better than another for storing the saw? Break on or off? If it’s on the main spring Is relaxed as are the moving parts, but the break around the sproket is tight. Alternatively, chain brake off means the spring is under tension but the break around the clutch drum is relaxed. Is there a correct way to store it?

Thanks!

On the subject of chain brake wear and tear, I store saws with the chain brake engaged, on the theory that the brake spring is less stretched than with the brake off. I don't know if it makes any difference but it seems logical . . . like taking the torque off a click type torque wrench after use. Anybody else do this?

I commented the above on a recent post. Bottom line seems to be : either way is OK, it just doesn't matter.

Tom, Tom, Tom , Tom, Tom........ some Doctors would possibly pay good money to study your chain of thought. :surprised3:
When the saw shops are open back up in your area- go have a look at how many are sitting on the shelf with the chain brakes engaged?

Leave them off, they are not park brakes.
Just make sure you check they operate correctly each time you take them out of storage to use- and if they do not- DON'T use the saw.

Always leave mine off. On a similar note. A friend was visiting my farm in WV. I said I was going up to the trailer and get my saw. He said just use mine. His truck was 5 feet away, the trailer was 300 yards at the other end of the field. Made one cut, killed it, and said Mike your chain is falling off. He said, Oh, my brother said you always have to loosen the chain when you are done running it. If not you will pull the bearings out of it. I asked how many saws his brother had. Answer, 1. I asked what his brother did for a living. He said printer. I figure that's why some guys go threw so many bars. If they keep the chain so tight they can pull the bearings out, they have to be eating bars. I have 50+ saws and never loosen the chains for storage. Do you loosen your chains at the end of every day?

Always leave mine off. On a similar note. A friend was visiting my farm in WV. I said I was going up to the trailer and get my saw. He said just use mine. His truck was 5 feet away, the trailer was 300 yards at the other end of the field. Made one cut, killed it, and said Mike your chain is falling off. He said, Oh, my brother said you always have to loosen the chain when you are done running it. If not you will pull the bearings out of it. I asked how many saws his brother had. Answer, 1. I asked what his brother did for a living. He said printer. I figure that's why some guys go threw so many bars. If they keep the chain so tight they can pull the bearings out, they have to be eating bars. I have 50+ saws and never loosen the chains for storage. Do you loosen your chains at the end of every day?

Nope- but then I don't have them pulled up that tight that I strip threads in the adjusters either! ;) (or pull bearings)

Tom, Tom, Tom , Tom, Tom........ some Doctors would possibly pay good money to study your chain of thought. :surprised3:
When the saw shops are open back up in your area- go have a look at how many are sitting on the shelf with the chain brakes engaged?

Leave them off, they are not park brakes.
Just make sure you check they operate correctly each time you take them out of storage to use- and if they do not- DON'T use the saw.
When you are new and trying to learn, the only silly question is one you didn’t ask. I don’t mind people having a dig, I’d rather learn all I can! :)

I do yes lol

When you are new and trying to learn, the only silly question is one you didn’t ask. I don’t mind people having a dig, I’d rather learn all I can! :)

Never said it was silly- just there must be a lot of thinking going on in there! ;)

I don't loosen the chain, but I do loosen the two bar nuts a tad away from tight before storing. Maybe that's unnecessary as well?

How does a chainsaw start due to an earthquake?
Well, it fell off the fridge due to the tremor and the start handle got caught in the fridge handle and drop started the Magnum.
So the 088 Mag was hanging there flopping around like a live catfish in a hot frying pan and rocked out the chain and ruined the finish on the icebox.

I don't loosen the chain, but I do loosen the two bar nuts a tad away from tight before storing. Maybe that's unnecessary as well?
I’m not being a smart arse, just a guy with 50 plus saws, that retired from a fourth generation tree business. Why do you loosen the bar nuts? If I did that, by the time I finished, it would be time to tighten them back up. To me, it’s the exact same thing as loosening all of your lug nuts on your wheels every night?

I’m not being a smart arse, just a guy with 50 plus saws, that retired from a fourth generation tree business. Why do you loosen the bar nuts? If I did that, by the time I finished, it would be time to tighten them back up. To me, it’s the exact same thing as loosening all of your lug nuts on your wheels every night?
Well that’s a no brainer! I undo the the buttons on my long underwear before retiring so they don’t pop off during the evening if I happen to inadvertently get nocturnal penile tumescence. AKA: morning wood.

Back