CS590 Brake Spring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GbRunner

Reaction score
Hi
The other day I had my brake engaged. When I went to disengage it, I ended up breaking the handle (the tab that moves the mechanism lever). When I went to install the new handle, there was a lot of tension on the mechanism that engages the brake. I couldn’t even move it with pliers. I took the cover off to take a peak and everything seems fine. I took the brake mechanism all apart to clean it and make sure nothing was causing it to jam. When the compression spring is not there, everything works “normally”. When I install it, I get essentially zero movement in the brake/can’t disengage it.

Any ideas? Attached is a picture of what I’m dealing with.

Attachments

• 4FD21175-F1EF-4324-A8F6-7A0641B2524B.jpeg
    4FD21175-F1EF-4324-A8F6-7A0641B2524B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I'm updating this post in the event someone else has the same issue.

It turns out the spring that wraps around the clutch cover was wore out. This allowed the compression spring to over extend which caused the brake lever mechanism to go past the point where it could pivot properly. This is was the original cause of the brake handle breaking. I replaced the clutch brake spring and the whole system works properly again.

Latest posts

Back